Creating a backup before I Try a Rom

Skelly022782

Reaction score
Hi All-

I'm a little green behind the ears when it comes to this stuff. I rooted my phone yesterday and wanted to try a custom rom. Today I downloaded and installed rom manager and created a backup (Backup Current Rom). When I enter the manage and restore backups section, I do see my restore point with today's date. Does this mean I should be safe to try installing a custom rom as I will be able to restore back to this point? Also, with the abundance of rooted apps out there, I was hoping someone could take a look at the small list below and see if I have two apps that serve the same purpose. I don't want anything I don't need as I plunge into the dark side.

Rom Manager
Better Terminal Emulator
Root Explorer
Droid X Bootstrapper ( I originally downloaded this because I thought it created backups but since the rom manager does that, I'm confused.)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks.

anrichardson

Reaction score
Hi All-

I'm a little green behind the ears when it comes to this stuff. I rooted my phone yesterday and wanted to try a custom rom. Today I downloaded and installed rom manager and created a backup (Backup Current Rom). When I enter the manage and restore backups section, I do see my restore point with today's date. Does this mean I should be safe to try installing a custom rom as I will be able to restore back to this point? Also, with the abundance of rooted apps out there, I was hoping someone could take a look at the small list below and see if I have two apps that serve the same purpose. I don't want anything I don't need as I plunge into the dark side.

Rom Manager
Better Terminal Emulator
Root Explorer
Droid X Bootstrapper ( I originally downloaded this because I thought it created backups but since the rom manager does that, I'm confused.)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks.

Droid X Bootstrapper gets you into Clockwork Recovery. What it does is hijack the bootup cause the bootloader is locked.

Root Explorer allows you to explore your files on phone and change files

Better Terminal Emulator is like running ADB on your phone instead of computer.

Rom Manager goes hand & hand with clockwork recovery. Allows you to flash Clockwork, backup rom, flash roms(see instruction before doing on X)

Yes you should be able install custom roms, BUT make sure you READ and follow instruction when it comes to installing on X.

OP
S

Skelly022782

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. So when the creator(s) of a ROM tell you to create a Nandroid backup before continuing, I've done that through Rom manager already? Or is a nandroid backup different?

anrichardson

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. So when the creator(s) of a ROM tell you to create a Nandroid backup before continuing, I've done that through Rom manager already? Or is a nandroid backup different?

Exactly, you've created a Nandroid Backup through Rom Manager. I would rename your back Backups(nandroids) so you can remember easier what Backup(rom) you created. I usually keep the date then name of rom so it looks like '2010-10-18-FissionV1'

Alex.DF

Reaction score
If you have the Droid X Bootstrapper, do you still need ROM Manager at all or can you avoid it if you don't want to use it? I made a backup using the bootstrapper already, just want to know if that's enough for me to start trying out the different ROMs in this subforum. I do have the files necessary to use RSD Lite if it comes down to it, so with this and the Bootstrapper backup am I set?

Also, if I try out a ROM and I don't happen to like it, would the bootstrapper recovery restore my phone to its exact state or would I have to do anything else?

Thanks in advance!

anrichardson

Reaction score
If you have the Droid X Bootstrapper, do you still need ROM Manager at all or can you avoid it if you don't want to use it? I made a backup using the bootstrapper already, just want to know if that's enough for me to start trying out the different ROMs in this subforum. I do have the files necessary to use RSD Lite if it comes down to it, so with this and the Bootstrapper backup am I set?

Also, if I try out a ROM and I don't happen to like it, would the bootstrapper recovery restore my phone to its exact state or would I have to do anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you will need Rom Manager, all Bootstrapper does is boot you into Clockwork Recovery, which you have to flash from Rom Manager. Rom Manager is a very important tool in playing around with different roms.

If you use the SBF, you will most likely lose the Clockworkmod Recovery, so you will have to flash it again in Rom Manager.

Bootstrapper Recovery doesn't restore backups, Clockworkmod Recovery does.

Hope this helps.

thepolishguy

Reaction score
No offense to the above poster. But you do not need rom manager. I never use it to back up or restore. I just use Droid X bootstrapper. I don't use it to install roms. I use Droid X bootstrapper for that too. I do use it to check out if there is new stuff for the X. But that's about it. If your rom is in rom manager it would come in handy for updates though. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

TWong1200

Reaction score
No offense to the above poster. But you do not need rom manager. I never use it to back up or restore. I just use Droid X bootstrapper. I don't use it to install roms. I use Droid X bootstrapper for that too. I do use it to check out if there is new stuff for the X. But that's about it. If your rom is in rom manager it would come in handy for updates though. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you. You do NOT need ROM Manager to backup/restore nandroids. You will, however, be able to see all nandroid backups regardless of which method you use (ROM Mgr or Bootstrapper). ROM Manager just gives you an easy-to-use 'GUI' type interface.

anrichardson

Reaction score

I agree with you. You do NOT need ROM Manager to backup/restore nandroids. You will, however, be able to see all nandroid backups regardless of which method you use (ROM Mgr or Bootstrapper). ROM Manager just gives you an easy-to-use 'GUI' type interface.

Do you still need Rom Manager to flash Clockworkmod Recovery or Bootstrapper is all you need?

thepolishguy

Reaction score

Do you still need Rom Manager to flash Clockworkmod Recovery or Bootstrapper is all you need?

Bootstrapper is all I have used. But I would hate to steer you wrong.

anrichardson

Reaction score

Bootstrapper is all I have used. But I would hate to steer you wrong.

No problem, it's tricky with DX, cause of the locked bootloader. I always had Rom Manager from Droid days and was just use to using it. Still thought the it worked the same for X.