2x Boot fail after Gummy ROM, bricked again

kevinmayres

Reaction score
I've tried twice now to flash to GummyJar on my Droid X 2.1 from the Verizon stock build. Both times, I had Rooted with EasyRoot, USB debug enabled, installed Boot Recovery and ROM manager and done a ROM backup then installed Gummy through ROM manager. After fairly quick reboot, it freezes at the Motorolla "M" splash screen. Nothing happens after that. I can get into Andoid Recovery but nothing in there works.

The first time I did this, I forgot to "clear data and cache" and ended up having to restore the SBF etc back to Verizon default. The second time I made sure to select it and got same result. I'm doing something wrong?
So frustrated. Is it the ROM or ... Thanks all!
Kevin

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I have been using this ROM since I got my X and just put it on my husbands D2. So there is nothing wrong with the ROM

I am not the most experienced and hopefully someone will jump in that has more experience than I do and explain things better.

1st. If I am not mistaken you need to be on 2.3.320 or 2.3.340 to use this or any other newer ROM (I think)

2nd. Dump ROM manager. from what I have read it is very buggy. and its really not needed to change ROMs

3rd. I am not familiar with EasyRoot so I would test that you are truly rooted before trying to install a ROM. Get an app like Wireless Tether or drocap2

Hope this helps

For installing the ROM without the ROM manager just follow the dev's instructions

Copied from the Roms thread

Install:
make sure you have root and clockworks recovery installed
Waring!!!! Make sure you are on 2.3.320 or 2.3.340!!!
-boot into recovery via clockworks bootstrap
-select "wipe data/factory reset"
-select "Yes -- delete all data"
-go back "powerbutton"
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select DX/D2_GummyJAR-X.X.zip
-reboot

Installing themes or Addons
-boot into recovery via clockworks bootstrap
-select "mounts and storage"
-select mount /system
-go back "powerbutton"
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select TheameName.zip
-reboot

Note:
Again do not install themes from any other ROM on this as it will cause bootloops.

Donate:
While GummyJAR will allways be free - non-contributionware - I would very much appreciated it you got me a beer or two

CD95YJ

Reaction score
You covered the problem in your original post... ROM manager! This thing is not very reliable.

If you want to flash new ROMs download them straight to your phone, boot into recovery, select to install .zip from sd card, find gummyjar on your card and flash it that way (**** make sure to do a cache and data wipe before you install any ROM unless otherwise directed****)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
K

kevinmayres

Reaction score
version 2.1..?

So per reply above (and thank you) I beleive I was running 2.1 (original Verizon build maybe) and this is the Andoird Version right?
Are you saying I need to first upgrade to Froyo or later?

I will dump ROM mgr. I believe EasyRoot works since WirelessTether was working with it at one time as a hotspot.
Can advise how to upgrade verions prior to doing GummyJar please? Thanks again,
Kevin

OP
K

kevinmayres

Reaction score
I get message "Can't open cache recovery command" then it formats data and data wipe complete.
-go back "powerbutton" (not sure what this means as there's no such option at this point but have tried back button, powe rbuton, batery out etc.)
-select "install zip from sdcard" (I choose this and it erors with "signature verificatin failed, aborted.")
-select "choose zip from sdcard" (this option never appears - it's only "apply sdcard:update.zip" as the only option but can't browse for particular zip file.)
-find and select TheameName.zip (again, not an option)
-reboot (at this point of course, I get the endless "M")

My plan now is to recover to SBF via utility and then somehow upgrade to 2.3 and not resintall ROM mgr?
Any further advise appreciated, Kevin

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Kevin, Following your new plan will work. as for getting 2.3 I need to go out soon but I will look into it and post back if no one has posted by then.

Take a deep breath it will all come together soon and you will be very happy

Monica

OP
K

kevinmayres

Reaction score
trying this now.

thanks Monica. You're a huge help. You're husband is lucky!
Will keep ya posted.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Several things, please post your android version (should be 2.2.1) and your system version (should at this point be 2.3.340). All ROMs being developed now do not support the 2.3.15 system build.

Next, from what you are describing about recovery, it sounds like you never flashed clockwork recovery. Make sure you check that you have it, ROM manager is actually good for this. If you don't have it the top option in ROM manager will be to flash it, if you have it it will show you what version you are running.

Next, get the DX bootstrapper app. Go through the steps of bootstrapping your recovery (top button on the app) then try rebooting into recovery (bottom button). When you boot into recovery it should be green text for clockwork recovery.

Once you are in clockwork go to mounts and storage, select "mount system", you will know you have selected it because it changes to "unmount system". Use either the back arrow button or power to go back. Now go to backup and restore and select backup. This will backup your stock (rooted of course) phone settings in the event you want to return to stock for updates or issues with your phone.

Now that you have done this you are ready to start flashing other ROMs. Like it has been stated above, download the ROM to your sd card ** note you can leave the file in your download folder if you wish to flash, I move mine into my created ROM folder for ease of locating**

Once you have downloaded the ROM, use the bootstrapper app to boot into recovery. Once in recovery, follow these steps unless the ROM developer says otherwise:

Select- mounts& storage > mount system> return to main page
Select- wipe cache
Select- wipe data/ factory reset
Select- install zip from card
Select- choose zip from card
Now finding your ROM in what ever folder it should be in, select that ROM and watch the magic happen.

When the ROM finishes flashing select reboot and your phone should beging to boot up normally with the new ROM. **note this first boot usually takes longer than normal so don't freak out**

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App