Crazy Star Wars: The Force Awakens Fan Theory: Luke Skywalker is Dead!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
luke-skywalker-force-ghost.png

Here's a fun off topic thread for this fine Thursday afternoon:

There has been a ton of talk across the web about why Luke Skywalker has not been shown in any of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailers. There are two predominant theories on that subject. One is that he has gone into hiding because agents of the dark side are hunting him. The other is that he has turned to the dark side and will be the "big bad" of the new generation of Star Wars. We have even seen crazy theories that Kylo Ren is actually Luke Skywalker. Either way, we can appreciate that JJ Abrams is locking things down so that too many spoilers don't reveal too much and ruin the movie for us.

Despite this, I was having trouble sleeping last night and a random thought hit me... what if the reason Abrams chose not to reveal Luke Skywalker to us is because he is actually dead? Obviously we know he will be in the movie, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be in it as a "Force Ghost," the way Obi Wan showed up in "Empire Strikes Back" and in "Return of the Jedi." Logically, this would be the most plausible reason why Mr. Abrams would choose not to reveal him in the trailer, because it would completely spoil that Luke has already passed on and has now become a "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" spirit entity.

Of course, even if it is logical, that doesn't mean it's true. This fan theory is most likely just a bizarre tangent in the addled mind of an exhausted insomniac. To be honest, I wasn't even thinking about Star Wars (or anything like it) before this thought popped into my head. I have no idea why it landed there. I still thought it would be fun to share with you folks, so you can debate the theory. Let me know what you think?

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
My nine year old son thinks Luke has gone to the dark side. He told me this about a week ago.
Had nothing to do with him not being in the trailers.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have no idea why he is not in any of the trailers, but I refuse to believe he has turned to the dark side.... Refuse. From another that has not been able to sleep well for a few nights now, isn't it crazy how random thoughts just pop up when you can't sleep.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
All I'm gonna say is "YUP"...

Revenge of the Sith:

Yoda: Until the time is right, disappear we will. [Senator Organa and Obi-Wan bow and start to leave] Master Kenobi, wait a moment. In your solitude on Tatooine, training, I have for you.
Obi-Wan: Training?
Yoda: An old friend has learned the path to immortality. One who has returned from the netherworld of the Force... Your old master.
Obi-Wan: [surprised] Qui-Gon?!
Yoda: How to commune with him, I will teach you.

A New Hope:

Obi Wan: You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

ffarl

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just from a business standpoint, to only feature him as a "Force Ghost" would be a waste of his pay as an actor. That said, these guys aren't really playing with real money. They can do what they want.

I sincerely hope he hasn't gone to the dark side, and for very selfish reasons. The original Star Wars movies came out at a pivotal time in my life. I was very young, and just learning about things like loyalty, heroes, and betrayal. The story is indelibly associated with those concepts in my head, and seeing Luke switch sides is really gonna mess up the movie for me.

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
It would be such a boring plot line if Luke went to the Dark Side. We spent countless hours through episodes 4-6 showing that Luke was stronger than Anakin, and was able to avoid the dark side because of this. What a waste of those episodes if after Luke unleashed the good in Vader, he decides that actually the dark side is better.
I really have a hard time believing that Luke could be any less perfectly good than Obi Wan.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But what do you think of my crazy fan theory @DrumsOfGrohl? You commented on the other internet theory, but I am curious to see what you think of mine.

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
But what do you think of my crazy fan theory @DrumsOfGrohl? You commented on the other internet theory, but I am curious to see what you think of mine.
I have no problems believing the Luke is dead, but if you want to go there, you have to explain how he died ;)
Jedis live to to be insanely old, so I'm thinking someone will have had to kill him for him to have died.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Precisely. Maybe that's why he is missing. He was killed by agents of the dark side somehow.

To be clear... I fully admit this is just silly speculation, and idle fun. I doubt my theory is correct, but it's fascinating to contemplate. I am looking forward to finding out the truth when we see the movie in December.

To be honest, I think the real reason that JJ Abrams chose not to show Luke Skywalker in the trailers for the film is because he and his team are marketing geniuses. They knew that it would get people talking about it and create more media buzz.

There's probably nothing weird or controversial at all. I suspect the "Luke is in hiding from (or maybe captured by) agents of the dark side" is the reality of the situation.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I actually think Luke on the dark side could be an interesting development. Or what if Luke lives in the "gray area" between, living by his own code that isn't evil but also far from pure good? It seems like that could be a possible evolution of the character.

Something like that could have Luke "undercover" on the dark side, because that's where he needs to be to position himself to address a greater threat that only he can foresee?

Otherwise, I tend to think Luke is more powerful than Obi Won, Vader, and probably [by now] the Emperor from Ep.4-6. Not sure he'd be more powerful than Yoda, though.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The other problem...the original cast is REALLY old. And despite what make-up and editing can do, it's pretty clear the story is about the next generation.

It's almost better to kill the original cast quickly, because wanting more and anxiously wondering where they are is going to ruin the movie for fans of the originals.

I'll bet money Han dies very soon, because Harrison Ford doesn't want to be there and wants to be done with the character.

tedZilla99

Reaction score
Doubtful that Luke is dead, that's likely him touching R2-D2 in the trailers. I believe he is in hiding and will be like Yoda for Finn in a future movie.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Or.....he went to the dark side....

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk