cracked screen. grrr

2001400ex

Reaction score
So I have gone through the og droid and thunderbolt, both on launch day. My wife got the DX close to launch and I upgraded her to the maxx the day it went to 199 from vzw. None of those previous screens ever cracked through at least 50 drops. My wife barely dropped the new maxx 7 days old, and it cracked. Wtf??? Seriously. My buddy did the same with his razr a week old in January. How can these screens be so sensitive?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So I have gone through the og droid and thunderbolt, both on launch day. My wife got the DX close to launch and I upgraded her to the maxx the day it went to 199 from vzw. None of those previous screens ever cracked through at least 50 drops. My wife barely dropped the new maxx 7 days old, and it cracked. Wtf??? Seriously. My buddy did the same with his razr a week old in January. How can these screens be so sensitive?
Dear ...ex,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. First question I would ask is what cracked, the screen (i.e. the glass BEHIND the Gorilla Glass), or the Digitizer (the Gorilla Glass)? Depending on which cracked will suggest why it may have cracked perhaps said...so easily.

There are several potential explanations but the most likely is that the glass (whichever it was) was hit at a place where there was already one or more microscopic stress fractures from the initial cutting at the factory. The fact is, it's impossible to cut glass and not leave microscopic stress fractures. There are many things that a manufacturer can do to minimize the effect of such fractures, but they are created during the cutting and if hit just right will cause the stress to be relieved across the glass sheet in one or more directions.

The thing is, there have been people who have reported dropping their Droid RAZR from 2 stories up on a ladder, accidentally tossed across asphalt, sat on, etc., and never suffered a break, and then there's the story that will always stick with me of a woman whose Gold bracelet dropped onto the flat face of the digitizer from about 6" above and cracked the screen.

Get back to us on which glass it was and we can at least assist you in getting it repaired.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My suspicion is that the reason the screen is as delicate as it is, comes from a few things.

1 when you cut glass, it causes micro fractures, hit any of those in just such a way and there it goes. This is added to by....

2 the razr/maxx doesn't have a metal frame like its predecessors the x, x2, bionic... its simply a screen, Kevlar backing(not a rigid material) and the board and chipsets. So the device is inherently not rigid and prone to flexing which will also add to breakage.

But there are people who've dropped this phone down flights of stairs, and it bounced the whole way down, and no damage other than scratches.

3 the width of the device, and length, and how thin it is, make it more prone to flex, as I said in 2, you couple this design with the lack of a metal chassis, and this is one of the possible results.

Was it the gorilla glass that broke or the amoled screen underneath?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Dear ...ex,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. First question I would ask is what cracked, the screen (i.e. the glass BEHIND the Gorilla Glass), or the Digitizer (the Gorilla Glass)? Depending on which cracked will suggest why it may have cracked perhaps said...so easily.

There are several potential explanations but the most likely is that the glass (whichever it was) was hit at a place where there was already one or more microscopic stress fractures from the initial cutting at the factory. The fact is, it's impossible to cut glass and not leave microscopic stress fractures. There are many things that a manufacturer can do to minimize the effect of such fractures, but they are created during the cutting and if hit just right will cause the stress to be relieved across the glass sheet in one or more directions.

The thing is, there have been people who have reported dropping their Droid RAZR from 2 stories up on a ladder, accidentally tossed across asphalt, sat on, etc., and never suffered a break, and then there's the story that will always stick with me of a woman whose Gold bracelet dropped onto the flat face of the digitizer from about 6" above and cracked the screen.

Get back to us on which glass it was and we can at least assist you in getting it repaired.

Dang it.... he beat me again!! Lmao :sly: your very fast FoxKat :)

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Same thing happened with mine last week. In my case it's the gorilla glass that's cracked, so the phone still works. Would like to repair it, though, if it makes economic sense to do so...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Same thing happened with mine last week. In my case it's the gorilla glass that's cracked, so the phone still works. Would like to repair it, though, if it makes economic sense to do so...

Virtually any phone can be repaired. Add you said, it's the cost factor. The fact is to replace the glass digitizer is costly but far less than replacing the phone. There are several known reputable repair facilities familiar to users of this forum. The names slip my mind ATM. I'm sure someone will chine in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Thanks, FK. Since the phone works, I'll probably just leave it the way it is. It'll serve as a continuing reminder that I shouldn't care so much about the appearance of my gadgets. :)

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
Sorry was driving to our vacation spot!

I think it is just the gorilla glass. How do I tell if it is the screen behind? The screen works fine, just has the cracks.

It starts just above the left side of the speaker, there is one that goes diagonally left that barely touches the part that is visible. Then one goes diagonally right that covers a good chunk of the screen. Luckily it didn't shatter, just the two lines, with a third line that doesn't touch the visible part of the screen.

I will say tho, it is still shocking this happened. Lol thanks for the quick replies! Any guidance or advice will be much appreciated!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sorry was driving to our vacation spot!

I think it is just the gorilla glass. How do I tell if it is the screen behind? The screen works fine, just has the cracks.

It starts just above the left side of the speaker, there is one that goes diagonally left that barely touches the part that is visible. Then one goes diagonally right that covers a good chunk of the screen. Luckily it didn't shatter, just the two lines, with a third line that doesn't touch the visible part of the screen.

I will say tho, it is still shocking this happened. Lol thanks for the quick replies! Any guidance or advice will be much appreciated!!!

If it was the screen, your screen wouldn't function. So its the gorilla glass that's broken.

I believe its about 150$ to have moto fix it. Turnaround is about a week from what I've seen.

Do you have insurance on the device?? Then you pay 100$ and get a new phone. Hope this helps? :cool:

genkidama20

Reaction score
Yep, my Razr screen cracked just by it flexing as I sat down. It was in front pocket of my jeans (not even skinny jeans).

Even though Gorilla glass is tough, it's a lot more brittle. That's the trade-off with a thin phone, tey cut back on the structural support and the bezel is really thin. My wife has dropped her Droid 4 multiple times and it hasn't cracked the screen. The bezel is all scuffed, but no cracked screen. The bezel is just better on that device. The bezel is non-existent on the Razr. Sucks to be Razr owners :(