Cracked screen question

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
A few days ago I dropped my Thunderbolt from no higher than a foot and a half off the floor, and it landed in the perfect position to crack the screen. There's 2 pretty big cracks that run from one side to the other (they meet in the center so its like a multiplication sign "X").

Anyways, the phones still works fine, touch screen is responsive, so it looks like the damage is just cosmetic.

My question is, would buying a digitizer fix this? I saw some on amazon to $25 - $40. I heard it can be a bit of a pain to replace them yourself, but I don't mind giving it a shot if this is what they are for.

Also, please don't move this to the thunderbolt forums. This relates to any phone that has a cracked screen. Thanks.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
A few days ago I dropped my Thunderbolt from no higher than a foot and a half off the floor, and it landed in the perfect position to crack the screen. There's 2 pretty big cracks that run from one side to the other (they meet in the center so its like a multiplication sign "X").

Anyways, the phones still works fine, touch screen is responsive, so it looks like the damage is just cosmetic.

My question is, would buying a digitizer fix this? I saw some on amazon to $25 - $40. I heard it can be a bit of a pain to replace them yourself, but I don't mind giving it a shot if this is what they are for.

Also, please don't move this to the thunderbolt forums. This relates to any phone that has a cracked screen. Thanks.

Might as well... And you're probably only going to need the glass not the digitizer... I've looked into replacing a 'bolt screen, it doesn't seem that hard!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Might as well... And you're probably only going to need the glass not the digitizer... I've looked into replacing a 'bolt screen, it doesn't seem that hard!

Oh really? I thought the glass was part of the digitizer. Never really looked into it though, just checked briefly.

Amazon.com: Verizon HTC Thunderbolt Touch Glass Screen Digitizer + Engraving Tool Keychain: Cell Phones & Accessories

This is what I was looking into.

Also, that's good to know it's not that hard :)

TyrantII

Reaction score

The glass IS the digitizer.

Jeesh, people just love padding their post counts, even when they're giving out possibly false info.

The glass/digitizer is one piece, the LCD another. Not sure on you phone, but my GO Droid required a complete teardown. It's not hard, but is time consuming. You just need to be comfortable with taking things apart, fixing them, ect. I used to build models and love putting together computers, so anyone with those skills it should be a breeze. You also have to be very careful not to break or snap any ribbon cables. The price of tools adds a bit to the costs, but was still cost effective when I fixed mine.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Fordalex006

Reaction score
Digitizer.

you can use it it is LCD that you replace, but you need to find the right that fits on the size your screen, It is a time wasting but it can fix your gadget it is fine. just be careful on those small wires, you should use the right tools for it.

Audio To Text

Last edited:
OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah i've seen some videos of people replacing screens on other phones (girlfriend cracked her Inc months back and I was considering replacing that screen myself) and yeah it looks like it takes some time, but I dont mind. I've also put together my fair share of computers, so I'm into that kind of stuff. I think it'll make me appreciate the phones a little more seeing how they are on the inside.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help!

TyrantII

Reaction score
The only other thing I'd be wear of is some digitizers are knockoff Chinese cheap stuff that don't work, or won't work long. While others are fine / or even OEM.

Check the ratings, and try to find one you can trust if possible. I'd send you to the Amazon store where I bought the one for my droid, but they don't carry one for your phone unfortunately.