will moto charge me for sending back bionic w cracked screen?

jwilly216

Reaction score
I have a replacement bionic on the way. They informed me that when i send my faulty one back to them, they'll check it for water damage and unreasonable wear and tear- and if they find anything, they'll automatically charge my account like $400.
My screen has a crack that they don't know about..... Should i send it in and pray.... Or just keep it to make sure i don't gotta pay?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They will probably make you pay.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

sajgel

Reaction score
if there is a crack in it, they would defintely charge you the retail price. If you had insurance on the phone I would go that route instead. The insurance cost, if Asurion, would be $99 dollars. I used to work for VZW in the tech side and saw all kinds of damage. A cracked screen would be number 1. Water being number 2.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
They WILL charge you for that. I sent back a bionic for a faulty hdmi port and now they are telling me i owe them $299 for it due to a corroded charging port. They say it is water damage, but the phone was never submerged or subject to enough water to cause corrosion. My argument is then its obvious the charging port was also defective, causing a bad connection (although the phone did charge) that caused the corrosion. Much like the battery terminal of a car gets. The odd thing about all of this is that originally i was told the phone was damaged, i told them i had pics and i wanted to see the damage. They were having a hard time pulling up the pics so they said they would investigate. Last night is when i called back and the story changed to corrosion.
Not to hijack your thread but yes they are looking for any reason to charge you.

Sent from my DROID4

diablo81588

Reaction score
They WILL charge you for that. I sent back a bionic for a faulty hdmi port and now they are telling me i owe them $299 for it due to a corroded charging port. They say it is water damage, but the phone was never submerged or subject to enough water to cause corrosion. My argument is then its obvious the charging port was also defective, causing a bad connection (although the phone did charge) that caused the corrosion. Much like the battery terminal of a car gets. The odd thing about all of this is that originally i was told the phone was damaged, i told them i had pics and i wanted to see the damage. They were having a hard time pulling up the pics so they said they would investigate. Last night is when i called back and the story changed to corrosion.
Not to hijack your thread but yes they are looking for any reason to charge you.

Sent from my DROID4

Cell phones do not use lead acid batteries like cars. A lithium battery will not cause corrosion.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
bdsullivan76 said:

Sent from my DROID4

Glad to hear your stories- helped me in my decision to just send their replacement back and just deal with this crack ... With my luck they'd charge me for it

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Glad to hear your stories- helped me in my decision to just send their replacement back and just deal with this crack ... With my luck they'd charge me for it

why not just have the screen replaced... you can either do it yourself or if your not comfortable tearing down your phone there are lots and lots of places that will do it for you.

heres a video on how to replace it....

[video=youtube;KEyxd_l5K60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEyxd_l5K60[/video]

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I just replaced a Bionic digitizer, no problem. Just watch the Youtube videos and buy a digitizer with the bezel already attached, that saved me lots of time and effort (the bezel is the border around the screen with the Verizon logo on it). I bought one on ebay and it works great, 50-60 bucks and done. Feel free to search for some of my previous posts on this. Good luck.