Couple questions about webtop...

donnie5336

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable yesterday but have since read that just a HDMI cable won't allow you to access webtop? Is this correct? Should I return this before I open the package?

Also, from what I gather, this is not possible (yet?) but figured I'd ask anyway. Is there a way to connect my Razr to the PC and open Webtop as program or in a Window? If not, this would be a greaaaaat app/software program for someone to develop. It would be great for someone like me to have and I'm sure there are plenty others also. I am using my computer most of the day at work and do not have internet access (or allowance to add easytether, etc.). If i could use Webtop (or something similar) on my PC and could read/answer texts, check personal email, search the internet, etc. it would be VERY convenient.

dmeguy

Reaction score
You are correct, the cable alone will not allow you to run Webtop over hdmi. There is a hack to enable that functionality. I am not aware of any program that would allow you to run Webtop on a PC, once you see how the current version of Webtop works, I'm not sure that you would actually want to do that anyway. The current version of Webtop is somewhat slow. Webtop 3.0 that is supposed to be included with the ICS update when it comes, is awesome!

If you are wanting internet access through your phone on your PC, usb tethering is said to be free with the RAZR but I think speeds are throttled. Also check into FoxFi, it is an awesome tethering app that does not require root.

You might also want to look at a lapdock. I recently bought a refurbished Atrix 4g lapdock from all4cellular, it was around $70 and came with cables to use with the RAZR, but I redneck engineered the dock to plug in directly. The lapdock with the leaked 6.14.79 ICS build, which includes Webtop 3.0 beta, is a great combination. I have found that I'm able to use it to replace my laptop for about 90% of my daily work.

OP
D

donnie5336

Reaction score
Yes I was referring to Webtop 3.0 that will be out with ICS. Also, I can tether at home on my PC and laptop using Easytether or FoxFi... i just was looking for something to be able to use on my work PC (work owns it... no wireless... and easytether doesnt work... they have some sort of block on internet). I was looking for something where i could plug my phone to PC and basically transfer the phones complete functionality to my PC and just leave the phone on the desk plugged in. Answer emails texts etc. and maybe browse some using the phone and Webtop or a similar program and be able to do all of that from my PC.

Also... the hack for using HDMI only for webtop... does that require root?

dmeguy

Reaction score
I haven't tried the hack, but I'm sure it would require root.

Okay, i haven't tried strait HDMI since installing ICS. I just tried and the Weptop functionality does seem to be available without the hack.

dmeguy

Reaction score
With, but I don't believe that had any effect on the functionality.

I'm getting the dock selection list when I plug into a monitor just like I do when plugging into an actual dock.

OP
D

donnie5336

Reaction score
Great to hear.. I think I'll hang on to this cable until I get my OTA and see if it works.

dmeguy

Reaction score
I would. I don't use mine often, but it's definitely nice to have. You never know when you might want to play Angry Birds on a 55" screen.:)