Couple of Questions

Scouser

Reaction score
I am getting my Rezound in the mail either today or tomorrow (hopefully today) and I needed a few questions answered.

I plan on unlocking the bootloader and rooting my phone. However, after this, I don't know how to proceed. With the my past Droid, I just rooted the phone and put on CM7 by using ROMManager. But this Rezound stuff seems way more complicated. What is a Kernel? How does it differ from a ROM? What is flashing a recovery? Why do you need to flash recoveries sometimes to flash custom ROMS? Also, what is S-Off or S-On (does it mean you turned Sense off?)? Any help would be appreciated.

I really want to root my phone and unlock the bootloader, and I know I am knowledgeable enough to do it. I just want to know what I am doing in terms of background information. So if anyone could give me like a general overview on what does what, I would appreciate it. I know I can follow the guide and I'll have the stuff done in no time, but I'd rather have the background information in case I somehow mess up or get confused about things.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Rezound comes with S-On, this is an HTC thing that basically says the device is fully locked down, meaning they need to provide us with a solution to unlock the bootloader and other areas of the system partitions (radio/kernel).

They have done so (thorugh HTCDev.com), but unlocking the bootloader only gives us the options of a full root and custom ROM's.

With S-On still, we can not flash kernels the way they should be (in fastboot; though there is a script that allows kernels to be flashed in recovery) and we can not also flash custom radios.

All this stuff still applies to the Droid 1 (except for the S On/Off thing) it was just transparent to you because how easy the Droid 1 was because it was fully unlocked.

When you used ROM Manager, you indeed did have to download and install and custom recovery, the app (ROM Manager) did all that for you. Then you were able to flash CM7. A kernel and radio was contained in CM7 as well, but there were other choices out there as well (except for maybe radio files, I never owned a Droid 1).

Kernels differ from a ROM in that a kernel is what, long story short, tell the hardware how to work with the operating system, the kernel is basically between the hardware and the operating system.

The Radio is the file that, well, works with the radio for improved reception etc, I think these have to come from the manufacturer (HTC/Moto/etc...).

So, long story short, there really is no difference between the two phones, the difference is HOW you go about obtaining the end goal.

OP
S

Scouser

Reaction score
The Rezound comes with S-On, this is an HTC thing that basically says the device is fully locked down, meaning they need to provide us with a solution to unlock the bootloader and other areas of the system partitions (radio/kernel).

They have done so (thorugh HTCDev.com), but unlocking the bootloader only gives us the options of a full root and custom ROM's.

With S-On still, we can not flash kernels the way they should be (in fastboot; though there is a script that allows kernels to be flashed in recovery) and we can not also flash custom radios.

All this stuff still applies to the Droid 1 (except for the S On/Off thing) it was just transparent to you because how easy the Droid 1 was because it was fully unlocked.

When you used ROM Manager, you indeed did have to download and install and custom recovery, the app (ROM Manager) did all that for you. Then you were able to flash CM7. A kernel and radio was contained in CM7 as well, but there were other choices out there as well (except for maybe radio files, I never owned a Droid 1).

Kernels differ from a ROM in that a kernel is what, long story short, tell the hardware how to work with the operating system, the kernel is basically between the hardware and the operating system.

The Radio is the file that, well, works with the radio for improved reception etc, I think these have to come from the manufacturer (HTC/Moto/etc...).

So, long story short, there really is no difference between the two phones, the difference is HOW you go about obtaining the end goal.

So unlocking the bootloader basically means you have S-Off? Moreover, what is fastboot or hboot (I've seen those terms being thrown around)? Would you say that flashing a recovery would just be a simple OS that allows you to perform complex functions such as flashing a ROM, wiping/cache data, etc? Also it is always possible to put the stock OS on if you need to return the phone etc right (I know it voids the warranty, but a lot of the times, Verizon doesn't check)? And what if you need to return to stock OS if you completely removed all the Verizon software? Moreover, I have seen a couple of ROMS for the Rezound available, but are there any other places where I can check out different ROMS? In addition, is it really necessary to back up your phone? Since most of your data is saved on google, aren't you synced already? Other than apps already saved rather than having to download them, is there any other benefit of a back up?

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate you helping me.

Edit - Also I imagine that I won't be able to do OTA updates if I am rooted, or have a custom ROM or am unlocked? And what is a boot.img/downloading a boot.img/flashing a boot.img?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So unlocking the bootloader basically means you have S-Off? Moreover, what is fastboot or hboot (I've seen those terms being thrown around)? Would you say that flashing a recovery would just be a simple OS that allows you to perform complex functions such as flashing a ROM, wiping/cache data, etc? Also it is always possible to put the stock OS on if you need to return the phone etc right (I know it voids the warranty, but a lot of the times, Verizon doesn't check)? And what if you need to return to stock OS if you completely removed all the Verizon software? Moreover, I have seen a couple of ROMS for the Rezound available, but are there any other places where I can check out different ROMS? In addition, is it really necessary to back up your phone? Since most of your data is saved on google, aren't you synced already? Other than apps already saved rather than having to download them, is there any other benefit of a back up?

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate you helping me.

Edit - Also I imagine that I won't be able to do OTA updates if I am rooted, or have a custom ROM or am unlocked? And what is a boot.img/downloading a boot.img/flashing a boot.img?

No, unlocking the bootloader means you can run a full root option and flash custom ROM (allows writing to the system partition). With still having S-On we just can't flash custom/leaked radios nor can we flash kernels in fastboot which is the way they should be flashed (but again, irrelevant since a recovery script has been written to flash kernels in custom recovery anyways).

Fastboot is a mode that allows you to run fastboot commands from adb (having set up Android SDK on your computer). HBOOT is basically just the bootloader.

The recovery is separate (at least I think it is, not sure if its part of /system/ or not) partition that allows the ability to wipe data/cache and flash officially signed image files from HTC. A custom recovery over writes the stock recovery and allows for more complex functions such as flashing any image file regardless of its signature (and as long as the image is compatible with the device) and also making full system backups. Now the purpose of the backup in custom recovery (called "nandroids") is that it backups the ENTIRE system. So if you bork something on the phone and say it bootloops or it unrecoverable, you can flash your latest nandroid and its like nothing happened (you'll of course loose everything from the time you made the backup to the time you had to restore it).

There are methods of doing a full system restore, through a process called "RUU." There is a member over at XDA that leaks these RUU files (which are Windows .exe files) that can recover a borked phone or return it to bare bone stock if need be (and if your mainversion is the same as well, basically meaning use a RUU of the same base of the system you were/currently on). The only thing that will be noticed, is that the bootloader will say that it has been "Re-Locked." This is the downfall of not having S-Off (with S-Off you can re-lock the phone and not have that Re-Locked text in the bootloader), there is not way around this, yet.

Most of the developer work is over at XDA, there are more ROMs there for sure.

And it is always a good idea to back up your phone, specially when you are making changes to the system and when flashing ROM's Theme's etc. The Google data is just data associated with the Google apps, and nandroid backup like I said earlier is a full system image backup.

Hope this helps

OP
S

Scouser

Reaction score
No, unlocking the bootloader means you can run a full root option and flash custom ROM (allows writing to the system partition). With still having S-On we just can't flash custom/leaked radios nor can we flash kernels in fastboot which is the way they should be flashed (but again, irrelevant since a recovery script has been written to flash kernels in custom recovery anyways).

Fastboot is a mode that allows you to run fastboot commands from adb (having set up Android SDK on your computer). HBOOT is basically just the bootloader.

The recovery is separate (at least I think it is, not sure if its part of /system/ or not) partition that allows the ability to wipe data/cache and flash officially signed image files from HTC. A custom recovery over writes the stock recovery and allows for more complex functions such as flashing any image file regardless of its signature (and as long as the image is compatible with the device) and also making full system backups. Now the purpose of the backup in custom recovery (called "nandroids") is that it backups the ENTIRE system. So if you bork something on the phone and say it bootloops or it unrecoverable, you can flash your latest nandroid and its like nothing happened (you'll of course loose everything from the time you made the backup to the time you had to restore it).

There are methods of doing a full system restore, through a process called "RUU." There is a member over at XDA that leaks these RUU files (which are Windows .exe files) that can recover a borked phone or return it to bare bone stock if need be (and if your mainversion is the same as well, basically meaning use a RUU of the same base of the system you were/currently on). The only thing that will be noticed, is that the bootloader will say that it has been "Re-Locked." This is the downfall of not having S-Off (with S-Off you can re-lock the phone and not have that Re-Locked text in the bootloader), there is not way around this, yet.

Most of the developer work is over at XDA, there are more ROMs there for sure.

And it is always a good idea to back up your phone, specially when you are making changes to the system and when flashing ROM's Theme's etc. The Google data is just data associated with the Google apps, and nandroid backup like I said earlier is a full system image backup.

Hope this helps

You sir, are the man. Thanks for all the help. This clears up so many things. Now I actually feel like I know what I am doing with the different things rather than just following directions.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You sir, are the man. Thanks for all the help. This clears up so many things. Now I actually feel like I know what I am doing with the different things rather than just following directions.

haha, yeah, half the battle is understanding what you are actually doing what things are and do. its one thing to follow directions, another to understand. here is a link that does a better job at explaining the S-Off/On thing. What Is S-OFF & How To Gain It On HTC Android Phones With unrevoked forever

OP
S

Scouser

Reaction score
So I rooted my Rezound. I only installed SU and Superuser, no busybox. Is busybox necessary? Should I install it? If so, how?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I rooted my Rezound. I only installed SU and Superuser, no busybox. Is busybox necessary? Should I install it? If so, how?

Some root apps require busy box, so sure why not. There are a few free apps in the market that will install it for you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

OP
S

Scouser

Reaction score
Some root apps require busy box, so sure why not. There are a few free apps in the market that will install it for you.

I installed it. Is it an app or what? Because it's not showing up for me. Also, what is it used for? Sorry to be annoying, I just like to understand what I am doing and why.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I installed it. Is it an app or what? Because it's not showing up for me. Also, what is it used for? Sorry to be annoying, I just like to understand what I am doing and why.

Busy box lives in the background so you won't ever know its there after you install it