Couple Issues

lifesavin

Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that if you are using the Navigation on the Moto Droid that the phone gets EXTREMELY hot? I'm still not sure that I like it anyways. It always seems to loose satellite signal or tells you to use a random route. I have had better luck with my basic Garmin Nuvi. Tips, tricks or hints?

Also a few times recently I will take my phone off the charger. It shows full charge. Then about 10 minutes later the battery indicator is in the red, the red LED is on and it is telling me the phone is going to power down. The only way I can fix this is to turn the phone off and then back on. Ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Andy

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that if you are using the Navigation on the Moto Droid that the phone gets EXTREMELY hot? I'm still not sure that I like it anyways. It always seems to loose satellite signal or tells you to use a random route. I have had better luck with my basic Garmin Nuvi. Tips, tricks or hints?

Also a few times recently I will take my phone off the charger. It shows full charge. Then about 10 minutes later the battery indicator is in the red, the red LED is on and it is telling me the phone is going to power down. The only way I can fix this is to turn the phone off and then back on. Ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Andy

Issue 1, probably not getting as hot as you might think. Those of us who overclock frequently see our Droids get hot. I'm assuming you're running stock. Navigation problems? Yes, people have them from time to time.

Issue 2, it's a well known issue. Most of us experience it only once, I've seen a few people say they've seen it more then once.

xliderider

Reaction score
Are you overclocked? If you are, you don't need all those clock cycles while using Nav, throttle back to 550-600mhz. Also, if you are charging while Navigating, that makes for more heat.

I've never had that battery indicator problem.

OP
L

lifesavin

Reaction score
I am not rooted, however I have thinking about breaking down and doing it.

The battery indicator is weird. I have seen it a couple times. Nothing seems to be wrong after I restart.

Not charging or anything when I am navigating. I noticed that the back of the phone seems to get pretty warm when Navigating.

starbuck

Reaction score
Both problems are related. I have suffered from this problem and at first I thought it was the gps antenna/chipset. Then I noticed that it wasnt truly getting hot because of the gps I mean it can get warm but not hot. What happens is that when you have the gps running and your charging the phone your in your car and a black metal phone attracts plenty of heat from the sun and causes the phone to overheat. I have noticed that moto's engineers have put a failsafe in that stops the phone from charging when it gets too hot. most likely to prevent damage to the charging circuit and or battery. My suggestion when this happens is keep it out of direct sunlight and you will be fine it will stop your phone from overheating which is also causing your phone to act retarded. most electronics do not operate correctly when they overheat. When it happened to me i took my phone out of the sun and when it got to a decent temperature unplugged my phone waited a few seconds and plugged it back in, then it charged fine . No need for a reboot.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that if you are using the Navigation on the Moto Droid that the phone gets EXTREMELY hot?
I've noticed that the sun heats anything placed where I mount my Droid in my cars. Nothing to worry about unless the battery overheats.

It always seems to loose satellite signal or tells you to use a random route. I have had better luck with my basic Garmin Nuvi. Tips, tricks or hints?
Depends on what's causing your GPS issue. I've never had issues with random routes but others have certainly had problems with the directions given or the location of the destination.