Couple Droid Eris questions

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
I have a couple questions concerniny my Droid Eris...

1. Whenever I turn on my phone, all my applications will open, and whenever I open certain applications, it will open a lot more, draining my battery more quickly... Is there anyway I can stop this? And usually, it ALWAYS opens up voice dialer, and I NEVER use that.

2. I have downloaded a couple background pictures for my Eris from the internet on the phone, is there anyway to go back to the 'download' page and remove these? Cause I think those are slowing my phone down a bit too.

And...

3. I did the Speedtest.net speed deal, and my download is '548 kbps' with my upload being '148 kbps' and my ping being '369 ms' and the kilbots/sec is '148'... Are these good results? Or slow? Or above average?

If it would help, I could put all my applications up on here so everybody knows what they are.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

eliassami5

Reaction score
1. Android automatically opens up and closes applications in the background to help with seamless transitions into different applications and background tasks. If the Operating System needs more memory then it will automatically close down apps running in the background, there is no need to micro manage your phone. You can use Advanced task killer from the market if you feel like you need to but its completely unnecessary and will most likely slow your phone down even further because the OS has to repeatedly keep opening up the same applications that you are trying to close down.

2. They have nothing to do with slowing down your phone, if you want to delete them then go to your browser > menu > more > downloads > and long press on the item you want to delete and press delete. Or you can download Astro file manager from the market and go into your downloads folder and delete them from there.

3. Speedtest.net gives you the speed of your internet, were you on wifi or 3g when you did the test? This speed dest does not tell you how fast your phone is running.

My sister has the Eris and i was very disappointed in the speed of the device, it lags pretty much everywhere and i felt kinda bad for recommending her to the eris when she initially wanted the DROID. I am currently looking into rooting her phone so i can overclock it for her but we'll see if i really have to go that far.

xliderider

Reaction score
Don't worry about the apps in your app list. They aren't "open", and you certainly don't need to get a Task Killer app to keep them from "opening". ;)

Android is very efficient at using the available resources at hand.

You can use a file manager like Astro to view and delete pictures/files in your download folder on your sd card.

OP
Bravesfan319

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I also have two more question for everybody...

I downloaded 'handcent' a while ago, but deleted it because it showed my messages in the notification bar from handcent and the regular messages, is there anyway to stop it from showing or doing anything with the regular messages?

And, is there anyway to delete some of the starting apps that the phone came with? Like stocks and twitter?

Oh... And I had the speedtest on my 3G.

Thanks

eliassami5

Reaction score
Go to your stock messaging application > menu > settings > and turn off notifications, that will allow only handcent to notify you of new messages.

No you can not delete the starting apps..but again..dont worry about them.