"couldn't connect" when trying to dictate text message through microphone

kdub

Reaction score
I have an intermittent problem where when I press the microphone button when texting, sometimes it says "couldn't connect"... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Don't understand why. Multiple reboots of the phone haven't helped the problem. Anyone else experience this?

OP
K

kdub

Reaction score
Bump. Now it's been working fine today, after fighting with it last night.

darnocs

Reaction score
"Couldn't connect" error

I have the same problem on my HTC Evo 4G running the stock 3.70 firmware with Android 2.2. It started randomly and is still doing it, even after a reboot. Any suggestions, anyone?

linda007

Reaction score
On another site, someone commented that microphone to text doesn't work unless you have 3g. Where I am 3g comes and goes. But I have found that microphone to text ALWAYS works when I've got phone connected to wi-fi. Hope this helps.

OP
K

kdub

Reaction score
On another site, someone commented that microphone to text doesn't work unless you have 3g. Where I am 3g comes and goes. But I have found that microphone to text ALWAYS works when I've got phone connected to wi-fi. Hope this helps.

Hey, yeah I posted that almost 3 years ago, I've long since figured out that problem. You are correct that when there is no network access the speech to text function does not work. However I think in jellybean they added the ability to do speech to text without using a separate server.