"Couldn't connect" error when trying to use voice input?

liguy257

Reaction score
I don't get this... I find the voice input option pretty helpful and it's pretty accurate as long as you speak very clearly (and if not it can lead some pretty hysterical misunderstandings...). One issue I have a lot of times though is that I press the button, say the phrase, and then the circle just spins and spins until I get an error message that says something like "Cannot connect to Server" or "Couldn't Connect".

I don't understand this at all. It's not a networked feature, what does a server or network error have to do with it? It's not like it doesn't work at all either, it comes up, lets me speak, and then looks like it grabbed what I said, it just can't process it.

It's one of those things that I need an explanation for because I don't understand it.

RickM

Reaction score
I don't get this... I find the voice input option pretty helpful and it's pretty accurate as long as you speak very clearly (and if not it can lead some pretty hysterical misunderstandings...). One issue I have a lot of times though is that I press the button, say the phrase, and then the circle just spins and spins until I get an error message that says something like "Cannot connect to Server" or "Couldn't Connect".

I don't understand this at all. It's not a networked feature, what does a server or network error have to do with it? It's not like it doesn't work at all either, it comes up, lets me speak, and then looks like it grabbed what I said, it just can't process it.

It's one of those things that I need an explanation for because I don't understand it.

I believe this feature does make use of a recognition DB on remote servers. This is the same with the iPhone Siri service.

I have the same problem as well, but only when I enter an area where I automatically connect to one of my cable company's WiFi hotspots. The phone connects but this particular hotspot has a very weak signal. After connected NOTHING goes through. In fact it may be an issue with their hardware. In any case I have to go to Wifi and turn it off in order to connect via Verizon 3/4G. Then it works.

BTW, is there a quicker way to switch from wifi to cell service?

cobraa

Reaction score
3G

I have to have a 3G signal to use voice input. If I don't have a 3G signal I get the message you are talking about.

RickM

Reaction score
It appears to work as long as you access to the internet.