Could use advice on the 2.3.340 OTA after flashing rubiX

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
I am just wondering about the proper procedure(s) to follow in order to receive the OTA after flashing my phone to Rubix 1.8.6.

I am currently running 2.3.20. My wife's unrooted stock phone got the OTA update today with no issues to 2.3.340, so I know its finally available here.

I also am running rubiX Focused 1.8.6 along with z4root/clockwork/titanium. I have installed the SDK Manager on the PC but would prefer not to use it if there is a '1-step' method available.

I used this forum to get the info on modding, and since I have NOT ever gone through the process of returning my phone to stock settings, I was hoping you could offer me some advice.

I just used ROM Manager (Clockwork) to make a backup of my current (rubiX) settings.

When I made my original backup of my stock settings I did NOT modify any files, had added a few apps from the app market, but the phone was in a rooted state using z4root.

What do I need to do next to accomplish the following:
1. Successfully receive and install the OTA.
2. Locate and flash the most recent (and compatible) version of rubiX. I have seen people mention 1.9.x but cannot seem to find it. Are there different versions that I need to be careful to avoid, etc?
3. Also, I would assume that upon successful completion of the OTA, I would need to make an immediate Nandroid backup (while still in stock) using z4root+Clockwork in order to be prepared for the next OTA down the line, and THEN flash to the proper rubiX iteration?
4. A final noob question, will I need to flash back to the rubiX 1.8.6 prior to flashing a newer version of rubiX if I want my apps/settings to be restored properly?

Thanks in advance, you guys are all great!

Es0 :greendroid:

OP
E

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
Also, I just noticed that when I connect the phone to my Win 7 (64) PC (and probably any other PC for that matter), while running rubiX, it no longer detects the connection (making debugging mode/charging/data tx inaccessible). What would I need to do in order to get it to recognize the connection? :icon_eek:

OP
E

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
Ok. Now I am even more confused... when I first flashed my phone from stock system version 2.3.15 to rubiX 1.8.6, it somehow changed my system version to 2.3.20
Now whenever I try to use Clockwork to restore to my stock backup it looks like its working, shows the unpacker starting up but then reverts back to rubiX1.8.6. This also happens when I try to install the rubiX 1.8.9.zip from my SD card.

Annndddd because I cannot connect to the PC via my USB, I have no idea what to do next...

Am I stuck 'forever' in rubiX 1.8.6 with only the files and media I managed to get onto the phone while it was in stock?

OP
E

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
LOL. Now I used clockwork to restore the backup again, went into recovery from boot, wiped data/cache, rebooted. All apps are gone, including titanium/clockwork/bootstrapper etc.
I have a stock install of rubiX 1.8.6...

I DO have access to a card-reader... its under my desk here somewhere... if I need to use that to copy a file to get this thing back to stock I can try that too...

OP
E

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
Well after a while the apps reinstalled themselves. But I am not thrilled about the thought of doing it again unless I can accomplish the stock repair. Hopefully one of you can help me make heads or tails.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
It sounds like your in need of an sbf flash. Did you get the 2.2 OTA update? If you did then use the 2.2 sbf file. If your on the 2.2 leak use the 2.1 sbf. The reason your seeing 2.3.20 system version is because rubix used files from that build and thats just what it says. Your actually on 2.3.15. I have heard of people having usb issues on rubix 1.8.6. If you want to try a new build rather then sbf then here is a link to rubix 1.9. Be sure to get the correct version.
rubiX Focused 1.9.0 BATTERY LIFE FIXED!!

Put this on your memory card and install as instructed. I believe they fixed the usb problem in that build. Not positive though. Hope this helps

OP
E

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the latest. I downloaded the correct version of Rubix 1.9.zip.
I am on the 2.3.15. Wanted to figure out how to return the phone to my saved settings prior to my initial rubix install, so that I could do the vzw OTA update. Having 2 significant issues preventing me from making progress.

1: USB / RSD lite are not seen properly by my windows 7 (64 bit). for whatever reason. I cannot get rsd to see the device at all, and the only driver that installs on Charge Only mode or USB mass storage mode (PC Mode does not enable debugging) is Mot ADB under ADB devices in my device manager. So flashing the SDF seems to be off the table.

2: I would prefer (again for the legit OTA) to simply restore my saved settings from my nandroid backup using clockwork mod. Unfortunately no matter what I do, either choose restore and point it at the backup or load a saved mod from SD card and point it at the appropriate version of rubix 1.9 at the root of my sd card, it loads into the recovery screen, shows the unpacker (box + arrow image)for a few seconds (around 3 secs) then the image changes to the ! and reboots the phone immediately into 1.8.6.

I have Titanium, Clockwork, Droid X Bootstrapper, and z4root all installed and available. If there's something I am doing wrong, please let me know.

Thanks!
Es0

OP
E

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
I finally attempted to use bootstrapper to update to 1.9 by using 'reboot recovery' then wiping cache and installing 1.9 from the SD card.

Since that worked is there any reason I shouldn't try to do the same process with the backup from my 'stock rom'? The only problem is that the backup I made is not in a .zip format. It's however the nandroid backup gets made, with directories etc.

Just hoping? Because the USB issue is still here. Drivers won't install properly on my win7(64).

edit:
Got the OTA resolved. Used bootstrapper. Only remaining issue is the wonky USB drivers. They install, recognize and repair fully automated when I plug in with my 'stock' ROM. If I switch to an alternate, I lose both PC and Windows Media modes. Aside from the obvious advantage of pulling music onto the phone via playlists in media mode, I can get over it as long as the tools like RSD lite and SDK connect and recognize the hardware properly (which they did not while running rubix focused 1.9).

Last edited: