Corporate Sync APP

Tzabar

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Droid Pro rooted, running Gingerbread 2.3.3. Currently, I have my Corporate Sync account running through Android's universal inbox, which means that I cannot freeze (using Titanium) any of the following apps/services - Messages, Messaging, Email, Email Authenticator, and Email Engine.

I am looking for an app that will allow me to receive my Exchange emails but will not eat up the RAM that the 5 aforementioned processes currently consume.

Thank you!

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
Is Touchdown frugal when it comes to RAM and CPU usage?
Also, are there any other options? Paying $20 for an application is a bit much...

tennvol

Reaction score
Why not download the trial and see if it works for you. I don't know if I really understand the reason why you are so closely monitoring or concerned about high system usage. Any program that's constantly running in the background is going to eat resources up. The android os does a great job shuffling things so they don't get out of hand.

I use touchdown and I don't see any adverse effect on my Pro, and personally I think its well worth 20 bones.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
My grad school switched over to exchange emails as their primary means of communication. That having been said, I have no use for advanced features dealing with calendar, notes, etc. I just want to receive Exchange emails while minimizing system usage. As for why I am concerned about said system usage - the Pro's battery life is meager. I'm trying my best to extend the number of hours it lasts per day.

So... for those purposes, $20 is rather steep.

Thanks for responding, btw. I appreciate your input.

tennvol

Reaction score
Do you have the extended battery? The battery on the pro sucks and I usually have to swap batteries out halfway through the day between a extended and standard battery.

I think the trial version of touchdown only syncs 3 days worth of email after it expires. If all you want to do is just get your emails (ie class is cancelled) or something the expired trial version might work for you.

Also, consider using juice defender. You can easily get a day or more using it and setting the sync to 15 mins.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
I'm going to order the extended battery tonight. However, as reported from other users on this forum, I expect only a 30-40% increase... which is why I'm trying to extend the battery life from multiple fronts.

I didn't realize I could continue using Touchdown even after the free trial expires. I'm completely fine with a 3 day history and nothing more. I'll give the application a shot and see if it uses less battery. Have you noticed anything?

As for juice defender... I considered it, but in the end, I don't want to give up on the "push" functionality of the phone. I see that as a last resort and one I'd like to avoid.

So for the time being, I'm going to keep freezing apps and processes through Titanium (until something breaks) and use SetCPU to underclock when screen is off. And, obviously see how this Touchdown works.

I seriously appreciate you replying so promptly.

Natey2

Reaction score
I just want to receive Exchange emails while minimizing system usage.

Forward Exchange email to a gmail account and use the Android gmail app?
Or configure your gmail account to pick up from the Exchange server?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
That's actually a deceptively brilliant idea, Natey. How would I configure my Gmail account to pick up from Exchange?