Corporate Exchange Users: Does your phone stay in sync?

PaulQ

Reaction score
You are probably talking about the Motorola update to v2.2.1 -- it won't fix the corp sync problem.

There are no current Verizon updates.

cgull

Reaction score
I have still experienced this issue after the patch. After a couple of days Touchdown hangs on "checking for updates" until a reboot.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

slimpickens

Reaction score
Unfortunately Improved Email sync still hangs after several days and requires a reboot. I tried the Corporate app again and it doesn't push at all and only syncs when the inbox is displayed.

leobg

Reaction score
The only reliable solution so far for me is Touchdown set in custom mode with PUSH and PULL @ 5 minutes. If email does not arrive immediately or push "drifts" away, the following PULL event will "wake it up". So biggest delay you will see in receiving mail is 5 mins. Seems to be quite reliable on me. No impact on the battery either (in PUSH + PULL@5 min config). You can configure PULL to be more frequent (down to 1 minute), but I am aftaid that will impact battery

dukill

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a droid 2 global that stays in sync. This issue is starting to really pi$$ me off. I know that there are people on this fourm that are making roms so I would assume that someone has to have an idea what is going on.

I have rooted and installed fission rom to try to fix this issue but I still cannot get email to stay in sync. It seems like I lose vpn connection thus causing the email program to stop. There are no fixes given on the motorola forum and it seems like motorola has given up.

Someone has to have a fix please HELP me!!!!! I dont want to have to return this phone if i can help it. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

dukill

Reaction score
If rooting still doesn't do it, return it before it's too late!

PaulQ I see that you went through a few different phones. Did you have the same issue? Do you like the incredible? Do you think that I may get lucky and exchange it for another droid 2 global that will not have the sync issue? Agian any help will be greatly appreciated.

PaulQ

Reaction score
Yes, I had the same issue and it was incredibly frustrating dealing with it.

The Pro had it. I tried to fool around with it thinking it just couldn't be a real problem. I gave up and exchanged it for the Droid X. I *loved* the X but the problem quickly surfaced again.

I used up a lot of my work's IT time, contacted Motorola and Verizon, tried Touchdown... ultimately no resolution. VERY disappointed.

I'll give Verizon credit though - they ended up letting me exchange my phone a second time which goes against policy and that's how I got the Incredible.

The Incredible collects mail perfectly. I don't like it as much as I liked the X but I have to say the smaller form factor is probably more appropriate for me. It's a good phone - extremely popular and very well reviewed. I don't regret selecting it over the other non-motorola phones.

I almost kicked myself for not getting the Fascinate because it's a newer phone. I later found out it doesn't even have FroYo (2.2) on it and they are still waiting on it.

You just need a non-Motorola phone. You sound like me when I had the X. I didn't go to the point of rooting.

All things considered, unroot and exchange. That's just my take from my experience.

dukill

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me? I have until the end of the month to get my email to work or I am going to return my phone. I just want to make sure I am on the right track.

The issue I have is I lose my VPN connection so my email wont update. I was wondering if this is what is happening to other people to cause the sync issues. I have to reconnect my vpn connection constantly and manually sync my email. Is anyone else having this issue? Please let me know I would like to solve this problem. I really like the phone and dont want to have to return it.

rpoldervaart

Reaction score
Seems to be working for me.

I've had my d2g for about 8 days. Hooked up to corporate email 6 days ago. My email seems to be working just fine. Sitting in standby on my desk, it seems to vibrate within seconds before or after outlook. I'm using the stock email app. I'm rooted, but nothing exotic other than setcpu and titanium backup, etc.

Honestly, I have not noticed any time where I opened my inbox and saw it bring in a bunch of emails. I'll keep an eye on it.
Robert

dukill

Reaction score
Robert,

You have to set up a VPN connection to access you email correct? It shows a little white key up in the left had corner? Have you ever noticed the key turn gray or have you ever lost vpn connection?

rpoldervaart

Reaction score
Hi Paul, sorry for the delay. I didn't set up vpn, unless it does it behind the scenes. We went into the accounts and added a corporate email account. This asked for configuration information like username, password, exchange server (which is our owa server), etc. One the configuration information was entered, it started syncing the email. Going back into accounts, I turned on sync of calendar and contacts.

But in general, I do not think this is going through VPN at all. It is going through our exchange server / Outlook web access server, that is exposed outside the firewall.

Robert

bvjens31

Reaction score
Touchdown works great for me

I'm on a newly-rooted D2G and I have yet to notice any sync errors with Touchdown and my corporate Exchange mailbox. I take that back, I did yesterday, but it was because I was using Task Manager to auto-end Touchdown when the screen timed out. By removing Touchdown from auto-end list, push sync came back in a flash. Also, I have renamed MOST of the Motobloat, er blur apk's using the ADB method. So maybe it's possible other blur apps are interfering with Exchange sync'age? Either way, mine's dandy as of now! dancedroid

dukill

Reaction score
Ok. I think I have been going at this all wrong. I have till the end of the weekend to get this figured out so I am hoping there is someone here that can help me with my questions.

First of all are you supposed to be vpn'ed in to get the email to work? When I set up the email account it will not find my server unless I am vpn'ed in. If I am not vpn'ed in when i set up the account it gives me an error saying it cannot connect. Can someone tell me why this is happening?

I am assuming it has something to do with outlook web access but I dont know much about that so any help on that would be appreciated. I have direct access to the server so I can check any settings if anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this.

I know at one time the IT guy told me that he could not get OWA set up to be viewed if you were not accessing it directly from in the office. I dont know why this is but he could not get it to work. He thought he may need to get another static IP addess or something.

Please any help would be appreciated, like I said I have till the end of the weekend to get this figured out. Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Typically, the need for including a VPN is due to the security that has been set by the area, admin, or email admin.

I have a Droid and until recently, I was able to access my Exchange server via the "Corporate" email app. Now, however, the new rom email.apk's have changed and I've been unable to connect. Therefore, I downloaded Touchdown which handles all of my Exchange with ease.

Admittedly, $20 may see steep but Touchdown only does Exchange and does it extremely well. It comes with a 30 day free trial.

Mike