Copy & Paste

Charles998

Reaction score
Hello All, I have the motorola droid just wondering if there is a way to copy and paste from emails to note pad. I cant seem to select or copy from emails from gmail. Just wondering:icon_eek:

bamfsig45

Reaction score
from the keyboard you hold down alt and select with the D-Pad. To copy and paste I believe you hold down alt/v or alt/c

EDIT: hmmm now after testing this that might only work in the Browser or a text field. How do you make the text "live" in an email so you can select it?

Last edited:
OP
Charles998

Charles998

Reaction score
I just tried it, it does not work, I opened up an email, held down alt on ext. keyboard then pressed select on D pad and nothing. I can cursor around with the D pad but I cant select.

OP
Charles998

Charles998

Reaction score
Ok I think I got it while holding down the shift key then use finger to highlight text. text is automatically copied to clipboard. Thank you for your help !

nate94gt

Reaction score
i know one thing.... this phone SUCKS at copy/paste.

I came from the iphone which had just gotten copy/paste and it was implemented very well. I used a touch pro and that was great at copy/paste.... the droid is absolutely atrocious (sp) at copy/paste. hopefully it will be updated​

Stigy

Reaction score
What is atrocious about the copy/paste...?

Granted the GMail copy/paste isn't the best but at least the phone allows you to do it.

Erich_F

Reaction score
I thought so, too, until I read the manual again.

Copy is easy and is done by the procedures already mentioned. Pasting was my issue. Again, the LONG TAP is the key to using this phone...after a long tap, the sub menu comes up with the option to paste. Just like a right click on a mouse.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
There are a myriad of ways to do copy/cut/paste ... here are a few.

Using the physical keyboard, this can be done with the D-pad by itself or in combination with the Shift button.

Using D-Pad by itself
Highlight individual letters: Long-press D-Pad and choose Select Text followed by moving the D-Pad in the direction of the words/letters you want to copy

Next to Copy/Cut the text you've selected, simply long-press the D-Pad again to access the menu offering you the option to cut/copy the text.

To paste the text, simply long-press the D-pad again and choose Paste.

Using Shift and D-Pad
Highlight individual letters: Shift + D-Pad Left or Right
Highlight entire words: Shift + D-Pad Up or Down
Copy/Cut Text: Long-press D-pad and select Copy/Cut for the text previously selected
Paste Text: Long-press D-pad and select Paste or Menu button and 'V' as noted earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

Stigy

Reaction score
I thought so, too, until I read the manual again.

Copy is easy and is done by the procedures already mentioned. Pasting was my issue. Again, the LONG TAP is the key to using this phone...after a long tap, the sub menu comes up with the option to paste. Just like a right click on a mouse.
Or if the physical keyboard is out, again a Menu+V will paste just like on a computer keyboard.

nate94gt

Reaction score
What is atrocious about the copy/paste...?

Granted the GMail copy/paste isn't the best but at least the phone allows you to do it.
well like the iphone (i know this isnt the iphone) you could copy text from ANYWHERE. all you had to do was hold down for a second and the copy/paste function would pop up. You get the magnifying glass and then start selecting the text left and right. Easy.

i absolutely HATE the physical keyboardi dont even know if you can copy/paste on this phone w/o using the physical keyboard. yikes.

i'll go through the manual again, maybe i misread it

Last edited: