Cool Kickstarter Project: Millimount Super-Gadget for Smartphones and More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Millimount-smartphone-mount-and-much-more.png

We were fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of this really cool Kickstarter idea. It's a product called MilliMount from a startup called Spatial Studios, LLC. At first glance, this looks like an advanced mount for smartphones designed to help you stabilize your device, but after watching the video it turned out to be remarkably more. The ease of use and incredible versatility for this unique, yet simple idea got us really intrigued, so we wanted to share it with you. Here's a press release from the company with a more detailed description,

Everett, WA – October 3, 2012: Spatial Studios’ website is proud to announce its new product called “The Millimount”. While the purpose of the mount is to fix the smart phone to a stand allowing it to be in a stable place, this Millimount is something special and serves more than just a stand. This product is small and compact in size, while its service expands beyond expectation of any Smartphone user. As this Millimount holds the phone firmly, the user can confidently enjoy the various applications in the phone, in a hands-free mode.

When we look into some of the uses of this wonder mount, it helps hold the phone to a tripod stand for capturing videos and small action movies, it can hold the phone firmly to the windshield of the car to use the GPS application. Another great use is to hold it to the rear side of the plane seat and enjoy videos during the travels and many other advantages. The best part is that the owner of this product can use his or her creativity in discovering more ways of using this product in different ways according to the situation, circumstances and necessities, as necessity is the mother of invention. This is possible as the Millimount allows its user to attach any other accessories to it, for further use and flexibility.

Visiting the website MilliMount your smartphone for millions of uses! by Randy G — Kickstarter... will give more information about the product and its operation in different ways. One can be sure of experiencing wonders from this little Millimount that serves in a million ways, making things easy and entertaining as well. Check out the given website to know and see how this smart device works for all the Smartphone’s, smart users.

This seems like the kind of handy gadget accessory that once people start to use it, they never want to be without one. Here's a link below to the Kickstarter page and the company's website. They just need to get a little bit more funding within the next 8 days to reach their goal.

Source: KickStarter - Millimount and SpatialStudios

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The best part was the iPhone in potential danger of being smashed =P

Cool universal mount system. I definitley like that I won't need a seperate piece for car mounting.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the concept but I'm hesitant to pay $15 for what is clearly an FDM 3D Printed object utilizing less than a dollar's worth of material, including the bolt and suction cup. I understand why they won't sell the .stl file for people to make their own, obviously, but the price seems high for the materials from which it is made. It would be different if it were injection molded or milled but it isn't.

spatialstudiosllc

Reaction score
Hi Narsil - I'm happy to respond with the purpose of the project, which is to fund the manufacturing of the MilliMount with either HDPE, TPU or ABS injected molding materials. I'm glad you like the concept and do hope you'll consider supporting us. We're anxious to start production and the goal is in sight.
Since I'm new to this community, I hope to showcase future projects and to share prototypes throughout the community for testing. I see you're familiar with CAD, materials and such and I invite you to connect with me for some prototype experiments on future projects :)
Best regards,
Randy G.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey, Randy. I hope I didn't come across as a troll; that wasn't my intent. I'd LOVE to see this available in a non-printed material! It would definitely be worth $20-$30, in my opinion, in a molded format. Unfortunately, the mold costs are typically prohibitive in non-mass-produced quantities. The rapid-prototyping is the way to go on "small" batches. The end product just isn't always as sturdy or purdy, especially with many of the lower-priced FDM printers.

If it isn't a secret, what method are you using to produce the Kickstarter-funded Millimounts? If you'd rather not say, I understand. :wink:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I thought I saw some molds used toward the end of the video (and at one other point). So injection molded it appears is their eventual aim. Using the FDM printers allows him and the company to prototype quickly and easily and make changes on the fly at a very low prototyping cost.

spatialstudiosllc

Reaction score
Hey, Randy. I hope I didn't come across as a troll; that wasn't my intent. I'd LOVE to see this available in a non-printed material! It would definitely be worth $20-$30, in my opinion, in a molded format. Unfortunately, the mold costs are typically prohibitive in non-mass-produced quantities. The rapid-prototyping is the way to go on "small" batches. The end product just isn't always as sturdy or purdy, especially with many of the lower-priced FDM printers.

If it isn't a secret, what method are you using to produce the Kickstarter-funded Millimounts? If you'd rather not say, I understand. :wink:

Hi Narsil - No offense taken :) I just wanted to make sure I had a chance to explain the features of the finished product. It's difficult when the only thing available due to budget is a cheap 3D printed version. The molded parts will be injection molded although I've considered water-cutting as it is more readily available in my area. I'm also considering a CNC milled version in aluminum, but I must focus on the Kickstarter expectations.
Thanks again and I appreciate any feedback :)
Randy

spatialstudiosllc

Reaction score
I thought I saw some molds used toward the end of the video (and at one other point). So injection molded it appears is their eventual aim. Using the FDM printers allows him and the company to prototype quickly and easily and make changes on the fly at a very low prototyping cost.

Yep - those were cheap silicon molds for cheap resin cast copies to share with friends and family. I went through a company called TAP Plastics, but there are many alternatives on Amazon... look for OOMOO silicon and OOMOO resins :)

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...It's difficult when the only thing available due to budget is a cheap 3D printed version...
I use a Makerbot Replicator for some detector holders at work; I feel your pain. The limitations are very frustrating when the possibilities are so exciting.

Water-cut Delrin with some rubber bumpers would rock! I'm looking forward to seeing this project mature. :big smile: