A Real 3D UI For Next Generation Of 3D Smartphones

Big Ry

Reaction score
I still don't get how "3D" is new technology...

They now have all these 3D devices and 3D movies in theaters and what not.

They had 3D movies 20 years ago when I was a kid...its no different now then it was then, but now all of a sudden its advertised like its new technology? Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Forgetful

Reaction score

They had 3D movies 20 years ago when I was a kid...its no different now then it was then, but now all of a sudden its advertised like its new technology? Makes no sense to me.

Yes it is. COMPLETELY different tech.

jbg25

Reaction score
Manufacturers need to stop pushing stereoscopic 3D.

The only time 3D looks good is on a movie screen... because it's BIG. I have a Samsung 55" 3D TV and I feel it was a waste of money because if you don't angle your TV directly at you then the screen can only pop out so much. Movie theaters have this down because the screen fills up your entire view so no matter where the action is and no matter where you are, it's 3D. The smaller you go the harder it is.

Same thing will happen on phones. Stereoscopic 3D is a waste. You have 1 viewing angle that makes it look good and the rest make it not look good.

I will admit the 3D recording feature would be a nice thing to have, but doesn't really reach a lot of people.

3D isn't the in thing except in movie theaters.

Just .02

Feel free to break it apart and reply. :D

Yes...another stupid move on the part of the big guys. They will be lucky to have not destroyed all desire for 3D by the time the good auto-stereoscopic tvs are in their product line.

For anyone who has not seen a really good auto-stereoscopic 3D tv. They are truly 3D, do not require glasses, and you do not have to be sitting in a tiny viewing angle for it to work. With the prototype we are demoing right now...the viewing angle is probably around 90%. AND when you watch content that was properly designed for 3D, the image will literally jump off the screen. For example, we have a several minute clip of a fish tank. You start watching and it seems just a video of a fish tank, until one fish swims through the glass across the screen and then turns back and swims back through the glass. The most common reaction we get is "Breathtaking".

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Big Ry

Reaction score

I mean the concept, not the technology within the devices themselves

jbg25

Reaction score

If you are talking about the concept ... you are still off.....

The Nazi's filmed a 2 3D propaganda pieces back in 1936 using prisms and multiple lenses.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

As for the current technology (auto-stereoscopic/and stereoscopic)...you were right that it was invented 25 years ago by Phillips at a cost of $750MM in R&D, but it was just not practical and could not be perfected. Technological advancement has solved both those problems in the last 25 years....it is only now that it is coming back around.

Big Ry

Reaction score

The Nazi's filmed a 2 3D propaganda pieces back in 1936 using prisms and multiple lenses.

As for the current technology (auto-stereoscopic/and stereoscopic)...you were right that it was invented 25 years ago by Phillips at a cost of $750MM in R&D, but it was just not practical and could not be perfected. Technological advancement has solved both those problems in the last 25 years....it is only now that it is coming back around.

I never said the concept/tech was developed at a certain time. I said they HAD it 20 years ago. Read before you post.

jbg25

Reaction score

I never said the concept/tech was developed at a certain time. I said they HAD it 20 years ago. Read before you post.

Wow...relax man. I would not be posting if I did not read. I was not insulting you or putting you down...just adding information. No need to get so cranky about it.

jbg25

Reaction score
i simply said they had 3D movies when I was a kid. You're the one who decided that statement meant something else.

ok...ok...so I misread your statement...what is the big deal. You corrected me and I stated all I was trying to do was add info.

I honestly did not think it was that big a deal that you should get this worked up...and make you so pissy you need to try and start an argument.

I humbly apologize for so terribly mis-reading a comment. I am sure you have never done such a horrible thing.

Big Ry

Reaction score
i simply said they had 3D movies when I was a kid. You're the one who decided that statement meant something else.

ok...ok...so I misread your statement...what is the big deal. You corrected me and I stated all I was trying to do was add info.

I honestly did not think it was that big a deal that you should get this worked up...and make you so pissy you need to try and start an argument.

I humbly apologize for so terribly mis-reading a comment. I am sure you have never done such a horrible thing.

Don't let it happen again