Cool Down mode

Imprezive

Reaction score
So today as usual I was tethering while in the charging dock then when I lost my Internet. Went to check the phone and was extremely hot. Message appeared saying it was in cool down mode only emergency calls can be used. I've never had this problem before in the gb builds is this a bug with overheating on ics. 233. Anyone else have this issue before?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I wouldn't call it a "bug" with ICS on .233, but perhaps a characteristic. Since .233 has new radio programming, some things may have changed that cause your phone to seek towers more often or increase power output to maintain connection. It may also be due to searching for and having difficulty maintaining 4G connectivity.

I would just keep an eye on it - so to speak, and if it happens again take note of what you were doing, where, and see if there are any similarities to this time. Being in the charging dock will raise the temperature more than normal but shouldn't cause an overheat situation. Doing tethering with it charging, AND in the dock can be the unique combination that prevents the phone from dissipating the heat from both charging and tethering (which is a BIG load on the phone), fast enough.

wseyller

Reaction score
Did your bionic get the cpu speed bump up to 1200 mhz. If so it could explain why it is getting hotter than when previously on GB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
I

Imprezive

Reaction score
wseyller said:
Did your bionic get the cpu speed bump up to 1200 mhz. If so it could explain why it is getting hotter than when previously on GB.

I have not overclocked it. Just stock ics

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
It's not a question of whether or not you overclocked. It's a question of what you got when you flashed ICS. The ICS builds for bionic so far have been changing the clockspeed of some to 1.2 Ghz and leaving some at 1.0 Ghz due to some qualifying event during the install/first boot that we haven't been able to isolate or quantify yet. Some people who were overclocked, stable and running cool on GB (me, at 1.266 Ghz) are stuck at 1.0 Ghz. Others who got the overclock are running hot and kicking into cool down as well as having horrible battery life, so whatever the criteria is it's not making sense so far. Mine is putting up 2750+ quadrant scores and my battery life is great so I really don't care and would probably underclock/undervolt when we get either a kernel module for the 3.X linux kernel or a bootloader unlock tool even if I had gotten the bump.

wseyller

Reaction score
I have not overclocked it. Just stock ics

Download quadrant and let us know what your clockwork is.

Mine stay at 1.0 ghz after going to ics. I notice mine gets a bit hotter running intensive apps but i have never gotten cool down mode to activate even when wireless tethering for a long period of time.

OP
I

Imprezive

Reaction score
Downloaded Quadrant and here are my results:

Total: 2902
CPU: 5411
Mem: 3099
I/O: 3488
2D: 278
3D: 2235

Hope this helps

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
You're at 1.2 I think with that score. Look under system info in quadrant to know for sure. If you root you can use the sliders in the performance section of rom toolbox to underclock and improve your battery life and probably take care of the overheating. Use 1000 max and 400 min with the on demand governor. Root with razrs edge by djrbliss.

OP
I

Imprezive

Reaction score
You're at 1.2 I think with that score. Look under system info in quadrant to know for sure. If you root you can use the sliders in the performance section of rom toolbox to underclock and improve your battery life and probably take care of the overheating. Use 1000 max and 400 min with the on demand governor. Root with razrs edge by djrbliss.

Ok just underclocked it to 1.ghz and 300mhz on demand gonna see how it holds up.