Contacts and groups? Going postal on google!

goracer

Reaction score
I've never been so upset and frustrated with a phone before. If I scroll too fast it exits. I have to double click everything and at a certain speed. Scroll wrong and it opens the worng app. Can't hear text ring tone or alarm ...etc etc etc. :icon_evil:

I've been trying to use the contact groups but I can't. It only adds to Google group no matter what. I creat a work group, add a contact and guess what? ...nothing! It's not in the work group, it's in google. I delete it from Google group but does it delete the contact? NO! When I add the contact again they show up twice. One in all contacts group. No matter what I do, groups does not work. I not freeeeaking want every freaaaking thing in freeakin frak fodddol goodle frack ...daaamn!!! :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil: Grrrr!!!!

I click on contacs
I click on title Contacts all contacts
I click on "work" group in Show window (have to frackin click 7X)
No contacts! WTF?
I click on menu button
I click on add contact a bizzilion times
I add the contact
I click save
Gues what? ...No FRAKIN COFRAKINTKALAKAFRAKTACS :icon_eek:

Reaction score
...No FRAKIN COFRAKINTKALAKAFRAKTACS :icon_eek:

I apologize in advance, but :rofl3: I was damn near falling off my chair laughing at this post! :rofl3: Sorry that it's giving you such a hard time and wish I could help but haven't really messed around with contact groups yet.

OP
G

goracer

Reaction score
I do blame Motorlola! I called their tech support but they were completely useless. Not that Verizon wasn't just as useless but their excuse was we can't help you with any items not purchased at a Verizon store. I had Bluetooth issues with a dongle and a headset, which I resolved myself. Anyhow, Motorola had no answer so the tech said he was putting me on hold but hung up on me instead (the third time).

So non google contact groups do not work! The only thing I was able to do was add new contacts to the Phone contacts group, otherwise they get put in the google group.

OP
G

goracer

Reaction score
I do blame Motorlola! I called their tech support but they were completely useless. Not that Verizon wasn't just as useless but their excuse was we can't help you with any items not purchased at a Verizon store. I had Bluetooth issues with a dongle and a headset, which I resolved myself. Anyhow, Motorola had no answer so the tech said he was putting me on hold but hung up on me instead (the third time).

So non google contact groups do not work! The only thing I was able to do was add new contacts to the Phone contacts group, otherwise they get put in the google group.

Actually, the more I think about it it may not be Motorola's fault. How do we know this isn't a feature that Verizon locked out? So untill someone with an unlocked X can test this, then it could just as well be Verizon's fault.

dancedroid:icon_ banana:

tjfinc

Reaction score
feel your pain -- hope this helps..

All right, bro - I went through the exact same stuff you are describing -- wouldn't believe groups did not work - apparently, people don't use this feature much. I used this feature completely on my previous phone and would be ready to return the damn phone if they didn't support groups correctly.

You mentioned two issues in your original post:

1. Issues with contacts being added to google group and not phone
This is controlled by your contact settings. Go to Contacts ->Menu -> More -> Settings to get into Contacts Settings. In here, enable the accounts you want to enable when creating new contacts. In my case, I have only enabled Phone Contacts. By default, it enables all applicable accounts - so in my case, it was Phone, Gmail, Corp Email - and I was seeing personal contacts in my work outlook. After updating this setting to be only Phone Contacts, you should be able to resolve contacts going into google issue.

2. Unable to associate contacts to contact groups
This took me a while and I finally figured it out - very annoying that there's no proper documentation as to how to do this. This is what you need to do:

a) create New Contact Group (Contacts -> Menu -> Display Groups -> Create new group)

Here comes the weird part - you can NOT directly create contacts in the group. Although it gives you the add contact option under menu, it will add the contact under all contacts. What you need to do is edit the contact group and pick which contacts you want in the group.

b) select your contact group (will show no contacts initially)

c) Menu -> Edit Group

d) Click Add. Now it lists all your contacts and you can check the ones you want under your contact group. Select the ones you want and click Done.

e) Click Save.

Tada :)

Hope this helps!

OP
G

goracer

Reaction score
Wow, thanks tjfic.

I will give that a try as soon as I finish trying to transfer my contacts from my BB. I just got the parts to rebuild it, so i'm going to try to transfer to ms office.

OP
G

goracer

Reaction score
That works! dancedroid Well, it took a few tries to realize it. If it's on history then nothing shows up (swipe left). I also exported from :blackberry: to yoohoo then gmail.

OP
G

goracer

Reaction score
I spoke to soon and give up. It still adds them to Google group. You can't un-gogle the phone. I thought this was an escape from Microsoft monarchy and Apple rule but we are still restricted. So much for linux freedom! :r_c:

bigguh

Reaction score
If you do not want to have the contacts added to Google, then you need to go to your main screen, click menu, settings, accounts and select your Google account, then uncheck the Sync Contacts box. That way, the contacts you add will not sync to Google.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
All right, bro - I went through the exact same stuff you are describing -- wouldn't believe groups did not work - apparently, people don't use this feature much. I used this feature completely on my previous phone and would be ready to return the damn phone if they didn't support groups correctly.

You mentioned two issues in your original post:

1. Issues with contacts being added to google group and not phone
This is controlled by your contact settings. Go to Contacts ->Menu -> More -> Settings to get into Contacts Settings. In here, enable the accounts you want to enable when creating new contacts. In my case, I have only enabled Phone Contacts. By default, it enables all applicable accounts - so in my case, it was Phone, Gmail, Corp Email - and I was seeing personal contacts in my work outlook. After updating this setting to be only Phone Contacts, you should be able to resolve contacts going into google issue.

This took me a while and I finally figured it out - very annoying that there's no proper documentation as to how to do this. This is what you need to do:

a) create New Contact Group (Contacts -> Menu -> Display Groups -> Create new group)

Here comes the weird part - you can NOT directly create contacts in the group. Although it gives you the add contact option under menu, it will add the contact under all contacts. What you need to do is edit the contact group and pick which contacts you want in the group.

c) Menu -> Edit Group

d) Click Add. Now it lists all your contacts and you can check the ones you want under your contact group. Select the ones you want and click Done.

e) Click Save.

Tada :)

Hope this helps!

:welcome: to the Droid Forum Great First post.

With the Droid 2 I saw the same thing, then quite by accident I figured out how to do it. It's a bit of a learning curve but once you understand it makes sense.

Burnintrees

Reaction score
omg ****in thank u. ive had this phone since release and was soooo anoyed that i wasnt able to view my contacts in PHONE group because it was stuck in google group. ****ing amazing thanks.

DroidXJenn

Reaction score

c) Menu -> Edit Group

At this point, my menu has, Add Contact, Backup Assistant, Search, Display Group, My Info, More. More has, Manage Accounts, Settings, Share name cards, Import/Export.

Now what?:huh:

markman5

Reaction score
Success -- Google Gmail Groups now synch and display on my droid x .

Like many out there, I could not get the Groups I created in google gmail Contacts to synch to my android phone. The individual contacts would synch, just no Group.

Turns out the Group and Group name were on the phone, just not 'visible'.

In the Contacts screen click MENU > Display Options.
Then select the account where you created the Group.
Then you will see every Group as it appears in your Gmail account.
Except for 'My Contacts', all of my Group names were unchecked and not displayed.
Click the Group name.
Go back to Contacts and click the Group icon... and now your Group is displayed.

From here you can email, text, or create an event for the group.

Hope this helps!

Cburg

Reaction score
How to use, make text groups on a Droid 4

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!:)

Someone should make the information below a sticky and put in somewhere it can be found easy. I have been 2 hours searching, Verizon, Goggle and this forum to find this answer. I had groups on my old droid 3 but they did not transfer to the new droid 4 and it has been a PITA.

===== dancedroid=====

c) Menu -> Edit Group

e) Click Save.