Samsung Fascinate Google Contacts

edemark

Reaction score
I have the phone for 3 days now and can't figure out why the google contacts are not syncing properly. First groups dont sync at all. Then you can't manually add to groups from your google contact list - it seems to default to the Verizon contacts imported from the backup assistant. Also the contacts are imported by first name. Tough to use this phone with a flaw like this, especially 2000 business contacts.:icon_evil::motdroidvert:

desoultaker

Reaction score
same issue here

Just got my Fascinate 2 days ago - can't get my contacts to sync and they were exported/imported at the Verizon store.

Anyone know whats the deal?

And is sort by first name normal? you would think you could change that to sort by last name...

greg72

Reaction score
You guys aren't having issues. That is the way the software is built. It's one of the really annoying quirks. Vanilla Android is much better in regards to contact syncing and grouping. Also in Vanilla android you can sort by last name. I'm holding my breath and hoping this will be a feature when ever we get upgraded to 2.2. It is on the top of my annoyances list along with the whole Bing thing.

Zalyia38

Reaction score
Contact Group app! It will let you send texts, email to your gmail groups. You don't need to use phone contacts for anything.

If you do want to use the 'phone' contacts you can export your gmail contacts to your sdcard then import them back in under 'phone', but you'd have to go through and assign them all to groups. I don't like the contact set up with this phone, I prefer the way the D1 had them with no groups at all. Hoping that someone does create a better app or Samsung adds the functionality for groups to pull from gmail.

Last edited:
OP
E

edemark

Reaction score
Interesting. This morning one of the tech guys in the Verizon store showed me that menu for contacts will list all the groups in gmail, but you have to turn off the groups you don't want to view to get to the one you want! Wow is that dumb.
Anyway there is an app called goupy that brings the gmail contacts over in the groups identified in gmail. For now that appears to be the only solution. Not sure if Samsung is going to fix this.

Zalyia38

Reaction score
Interesting. This morning one of the tech guys in the Verizon store showed me that menu for contacts will list all the groups in gmail, but you have to turn off the groups you don't want to view to get to the one you want! Wow is that dumb.
Anyway there is an app called goupy that brings the gmail contacts over in the groups identified in gmail. For now that appears to be the only solution. Not sure if Samsung is going to fix this.

How do you turn off the groups you don't want?

crimsonblake

Reaction score
This lacking feature really bothers me. I'm a sales rep for Verizon and the only way we've found to do it is to send all your contacts to backup assistance (or to the memory card as previously mentioned) and have the contacts stored on the phone rather than using google's contacts. You then have to filter OUT the google contacts. It seems with the 2.1 version of the Galaxy S software on the Fascinate we can only have groups or text groups when the contacts are stored locally on the phone.

It's also a bummer if you have to do a hard reset. It seems when you re-import the contacts after a backup... it doesn't reset your groups. You have to start back over from scratch.

desoultaker

Reaction score
Trading mine in...

I've only had my Fascinate for a week and the only reason I got it was to get the same phone my wife had - so I could support her. She's getting something different so I'm moving to my preferred: the Droid Incredible. So I have a bit less battery life - That's what a car charger is for :) I also hate the fact that it's got Bing! for the default...... I also hear I may have less issues with the GPS on the Incredible. Will see...

It's just time to switch for me while I can.

firefly115

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Contacts GroupU? This app solved the problem for me. I can sent ringers for individuals or groups with this app. Good Luck! :)

VewDew

Reaction score
no contacts but with contacts

I know that line sounds crazy. I was trying to assign a ring tone for my wife in my contacts. If I just go to contacts she is there. But if I go to my files and find the mp3 then set as, my contacts list is empty. It says to hit the menu and add contacts or accounts but the menu button does nothing. Has anyone else seen this behavior?