Connect to computer, ALWAYS wants to load drivers!

ErnieGilman

Reaction score
I've had my Droid 2 Global for almost three months now, and for the most part it's great.

One thing, though -- when I decide to use it at my desk and connect it to My PC desktop running XP Pro, mostly to keep it charged, EVERY TIME a program starts that wants to install Motorola Driver 4.6.0.

At the Motorola icon in the tray, I've checked "Do nothing when connected." It stays checked, so it's not that.

What I want when the phone is connected is this:
*charge my phone
*let me look at the directories using Windows Explorer
*let me copy files into and out of the phone's memory card

Nothing more, nothing less. And oh, yeah, I don't have or want any music on it.

Thanks for any help you can give me for setting the phone or the computer so I can keep it simple when I connect.

biknut1

Reaction score
Drivers

I've had my Droid 2 Global for almost three months now, and for the most part it's great.

One thing, though -- when I decide to use it at my desk and connect it to My PC desktop running XP Pro, mostly to keep it charged, EVERY TIME a program starts that wants to install Motorola Driver 4.6.0.

At the Motorola icon in the tray, I've checked "Do nothing when connected." It stays checked, so it's not that.

You know, mine did that for awhile. But for the life of me I don't remember what I did to stop it. I'm not sure I did anything, maybe it stopped on it's own. I may have deleted everything Moto from my computer, but not sure that would help either. Hopefully someone else can give you more info. Sorry!

OP
ErnieGilman

ErnieGilman

Reaction score
I'll need WAY more detail than that. Motorola has several websites. "The drivers" is terribly vague. And the problem I've got is that the phone keeps trying to load the drivers, when I don't want to do a single thing using Motorola software. I learned with my Razr that Motorola software is squirrely and the best thing to do was to avoid it.

I want the phone to just look like a hard drive when it's connected to the desktop. Does some Motorola software somehow start up and then do nothing?

I just read the thing about antivirus. Is that an answer to my question or a separate topic that's part of your signature?

Thanks.

OP
ErnieGilman

ErnieGilman

Reaction score
Did I tell you that I'm new here, and I'm new with the Droid 2? I guess I didn't tell you that this is the first smart phone I've had.

Thus, being new here, I don't know for sure whether your signature is the stuff below the line or the stuff over under the avatar. I'd like to know what SBF means, as it's probably not Single Black Female, but none of the other 35 definitions I can find mean anything to me, not even the ones that sound vaguely computerish. Sequential Block Filemanager sounds most likely, though, but I like knowing what something is before I inflict it on my computer.

Also, I had a couple of questions in my previous post, and I'd feel more comfortable if you'd answer them instead of pointing off to the side behind some curtain.

Lastly, I uninstalled the one Motorola program that was on my computer, and behold -- when I connected the phone last night, nothing happened, just as I want. However, I just checked to verify, and now connecting the phone inspires the installation program that says it will install Drivers 4.6.0. And the computer no longer sees the card on the phone.

I've learned that if you understand more about a device than the bare minimum to get the job done, you're way way better off. In that light, would you be so kind as to tell me why I need any drivers AT ALL when I don't want the phone to do a damn thing except be there?

By the way, as to the link you provided in your signature, here's the part that I think is your signature:
Droid 2 Global: Liberty Rom with EpicBlue n Bold Theme.
How to SBF your D2G!
Need help? Try searching. It is often faster than waiting for a response as you will likely find an instant answer.
If I helped you,please click here sign up for a dropbox account and earn us both an extra 250MB.

As I mouse over that stuff, I find five links. I don't know if I want to SBF my D2G, but I'm guessing that's the one I want. Right?

I'd sign up for dropbox to help you out, but I've already got a large subscription. Sorry.

Nealius

Reaction score
Did
Also, I had a couple of questions in my previous post, and I'd feel more comfortable if you'd answer them instead of pointing off to the side behind some curtain.

Lastly, I uninstalled the one Motorola program that was on my computer, and behold -- when I connected the phone last night, nothing happened, just as I want. However, I just checked to verify, and now connecting the phone inspires the installation program that says it will install Drivers 4.6.0. And the computer no longer sees the card on the phone.

I've learned that if you understand more about a device than the bare minimum to get the job done, you're way way better off. In that light, would you be so kind as to tell me why I need any drivers AT ALL when I don't want the phone to do a damn thing except be there?

lets see if this helps you.
this link USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

will answer all your question about the drivers. as for connecting your phone to look at the sd card. I know on a D1 you have to mount your SD card. Not sure on your phone.
You should be able to charge your phone without drivers. But you will get the annoying pop up box when you first connect your phone. hit cancel.

OP
ErnieGilman

ErnieGilman

Reaction score
lets see if this helps you.
this link USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

will answer all your question about the drivers. as for connecting your phone to look at the sd card. I know on a D1 you have to mount your SD card. Not sure on your phone.

Sigh. I bet "mount" doesn't mean place the card into the phone. I'm an audio/video installer so I know how lame it must sound when someone (me) doesn't understand some ordinary word that's used in a specific technical way... but what does "mount" mean?

You should be able to charge your phone without drivers. But you will get the annoying pop up box when you first connect your phone. hit cancel.

Yeah, well, if the Motorola software didn't make me hit "Cancel," then "Yes, I really freakin' mean" it in another window, then "Finish" in the original window, I might not mind just cancelling the action!

By the way, when I'm typing, is there some way to get rid of the hyper ridiculously happy dancing banana and... and Black Coke can ( ? ) off to the right of the text window, that keep on moving and distracting me? They alone make me want to exit from this site!

joeyx2

Reaction score
It might even be better if you went to the droid 2 section and not the droid 2 global section. Not saying we can't help you but the phones are different in some ways.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Regarding your last paragraph--really? I don't get either one of those icons/emoticons, I just have a blank screen to write on.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Check the SBF link in my sig. I have linked to the drivers you need in this post.

Can you check your RSD download link. I was unable to get it from that link.
google served me well tho
RSD Link fixed. Thanks for telling me. Google does work well to, you just have to go through a few dead links to find a good one :p

Did I tell you that I'm new here, and I'm new with the Droid 2? I guess I didn't tell you that this is the first smart phone I've had.

Thus, being new here, I don't know for sure whether your signature is the stuff below the line or the stuff over under the avatar. I'd like to know what SBF means, as it's probably not Single Black Female, but none of the other 35 definitions I can find mean anything to me, not even the ones that sound vaguely computerish. Sequential Block Filemanager sounds most likely, though, but I like knowing what something is before I inflict it on my computer.

By the way, as to the link you provided in your signature, here's the part that I think is your signature:
Droid 2 Global: Liberty Rom with EpicBlue n Bold Theme.
How to SBF your D2G!
Need help? Try searching. It is often faster than waiting for a response as you will likely find an instant answer.
If I helped you,please click here sign up for a dropbox account and earn us both an extra 250MB.

As I mouse over that stuff, I find five links. I don't know if I want to SBF my D2G, but I'm guessing that's the one I want. Right?

I'd sign up for dropbox to help you out, but I've already got a large subscription. Sorry.
New or not a bit of common sense really goes along way. Not trying to insult you but it is really self explanatory which link to click. I told you to check the SBF link in my sig. There is only one link regarding SBF, so it should be more then obvious. As to what an SBF file is, its not really relevant because I didnt tell you to use the SBF file. Simply to check that link, but on a side note, I can not tell you what SBF stands for because I forgot :p. Anyways, if you read over the post you will find a link saying "Moto Drivers and RSD Lite: Download." You need drivers, so seeing mention of drivers is a logical place to start. The RSD Installer is in there and the Moto drivers are in the zip file I link to. They are labeled clearly inside the archive.

Again I am not trying to offend you here, but things are labeled fairly clearly.

On a side note, the dancing banana, if you use FireFox internet browser with the Ad Block Add On, you can right click on it and should see an option to block it. Not much else you can do really except the quick reply box at the bottom of every thread. Oh and if you need to reference something some one said, use the quote button to make it more clear. If you need to quote multiple posts hit the multi button on those posts then hit the quick reply. Hope thats helpful!

OP
ErnieGilman

ErnieGilman

Reaction score
I happened to work out that the dancing banana can be made to split if you turn off emoticons.

Don't worry about straight info being taken as an insult -- submit a lot at remotecentral.com, where the installers sometimes get harsh with dumb questions, or worse yet newbies who get explicit answers and then argue about them.

In that light, I don't mean to argue, but I guess your answer to "why do I need drivers" is "you need drivers." I vabuely remember going through a similar thing with my Razr, which would charge just fine on the computer until one day a program came up suggesting that I needed drivers. The combo of Razr and desktop never worked right after that, and I'm trying to avoid a similar outcome.

Thanks for the help. Since we're not being concerned about insults, I'll be sure to come back and complain in great detail if it doesn't help me out, but I'll also come back with thanks if it does. I love it when a problem's resolution is in print so others can read about it later.

Again, thanks.

PowrDroid

Reaction score

Yep, same thing happened to me. I called Motorola tech support and had to get elevated two tech levels before someone knew what to do.

Tap Settings, Tap Applications, Tap Development, Tap USB Debugging. Check mark USB Debugging.

Problem solved.

Please post back if this works for you.