Connect Droid 3 to Monitor, TV or Projector

benualson

Reaction score
I cannot get my droid 3 connected via HDMI to a PC monitor, TV, or projector. Is there a special way to connect it? I can connect the HDMI cable, select HDMI input on the display, but nothing happens...any input would be appreciated.

aagrlp640

Reaction score
I cannot get my droid 3 connected via HDMI to a PC monitor, TV, or projector. Is there a special way to connect it? I can connect the HDMI cable, select HDMI input on the display, but nothing happens...any input would be appreciated.
Hi i have the same problem, i cant connect my droid to my hd tv, anybody knows about this or how to fix it

fishacura

Reaction score
Odd. I have no issue with mine but sometimes it will not recognize it if my monitor is on the input BEFOR I connect the wire. Try making sure your input on your monitor is NOT set to the hdmi input. Connect the wire first to both devices...THEN switch the monitor to the HDMI input for the phone connection.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not sure if this helps, but I might as well note: my D3 and wife's are both stock, only difference is mine is rooted. Both phones transmit video fine over HDMI (overlooking stupid things like HBOGo -- sorry fishacura). BUT, there is one important difference: audio works on her phone, but NOT MINE! Believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING (including varying the cables and monitors) and scoured the forums but no luck. I am finally ready to accept the possibility it's a hardware problem. It's not a total deal-breaker, but it does really piss me off.

-Matt

NoBloatware

Reaction score
My girlfriend's Droid X hdmi out has never worked. My suggestion is to go for a factory reset. If it still doesn't work get a like new replacement. I love using the hdmi out on my Droid 3 and it works every time no problem. I'm not bragging, I'm just saying it can and should work fine.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My girlfriend's Droid X hdmi out has never worked. My suggestion is to go for a factory reset. If it still doesn't work get a like new replacement. I love using the hdmi out on my Droid 3 and it works every time no problem. I'm not bragging, I'm just saying it can and should work fine.
That was kind of my point in reverse: mixed results with my phone, absolutely seamless with my wife's. For me it's not worth a replacement (I almost never use the feature, though I might try a reset) but it's leaves a strong impression that there are quality control issues (don't get me started on the jiggly keyboard slider, the almost-completely collapsed power button, or the half-dozen other little quirks).

EDIT: I forgot to mention...I'm just a little peeved that the updates to the D3 are slow to nonexistent (I started another thread today on the soak test that supposedly happened a week or two ago). It seems wildly naive and optimistic, but I'm still hoping that Motorola has data on the major bugs, and an imminent update will address some of these issues (e.g., HDMI, GPS, etc.).

-Matt

Last edited:

fishacura

Reaction score

Droid x is a different animal. There's lots of forums talking about the droid x hdmi being locked down period. The droid 3 was NOT locked down. DO a search on "droid x unlock HDMI" and there is info on how to unlock it. If it's a droid 3 however, it should work fine even on unrooted phones. Only issue I am having is with specific apps (e.g. HBO go) who decided to lock their app down. But youtube and the like work fine via hdmi on droid 3 (or should that is)

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the Droid X. I was thinking it should work on a basic level though. For example, it should be able to display the home screen over hdmi without unlocking, no?

It is time for a Droid 3 update, but I'm very happy with it overall. The GPS gets wonky sometimes. I've had luck using GPS Status & Toolbox, free from market. Open it, hit menu > tools > Manage AGPS state. First reset it and when that is done do download. You can also calibrate the compass with that app. My GPS always miraculously becomes accurate after doing this stuff. Sorry off topic.

aagrlp640

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the Droid X. I was thinking it should work on a basic level though. For example, it should be able to display the home screen over hdmi without unlocking, no?

It is time for a Droid 3 update, but I'm very happy with it overall. The GPS gets wonky sometimes. I've had luck using GPS Status & Toolbox, free from market. Open it, hit menu > tools > Manage AGPS state. First reset it and when that is done do download. You can also calibrate the compass with that app. My GPS always miraculously becomes accurate after doing this stuff. Sorry off topic.
I dont rememeber where i read this but it could be that the oficial rom have some issues, maybe with a cooked rom could work im gonna try when i have time.
Thanks for all your answers