HDMI Out Options - What's the point??

Reaction score
Ok, am I missing something here? When selecting any of the three options that come up in the notification bar for HDMI when connected.... the only difference I am seeing is when selecting Gallery, it goes to Gallery and when selecting Music it goes to music. HDMI Mirror happens without selecting anything and no matter what, unless you have the screen set to not time out or, I presume, have it docked... it will shut off. It would be nice to have an option that allows the Droid 3 screen to go off without losing the feed to the TV. I've also taken to using Spotify through it (I tried the analog input and it just doesn't deliver at the same level the HDMI out does) and hate having to keep the screen blazing away...sucking battery and turning the phone hot unneccessarily.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree with this. But for now, when streaming netflix from my phone to my TV, I plug my charger in at the same time.

OP
B
Reaction score
I definitely agree with this. But for now, when streaming netflix from my phone to my TV, I plug my charger in at the same time.

You mean as in countering the drain on the battery due to the screen being on? Because I do plug mine in to charge, but it has no effect on whether the screen stays on.

On my original Droid there was an option to set the phone screen to stay on when plugged in. It would dim to the lowest brightness when idle, but wake up when you touched it. Maybe this was built in to the rom I was using, but it should be standard on Android.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
You mean as in countering the drain on the battery due to the screen being on? Because I do plug mine in to charge, but it has no effect on whether the screen stays on.

On my original Droid there was an option to set the phone screen to stay on when plugged in. It would dim to the lowest brightness when idle, but wake up when you touched it. Maybe this was built in to the rom I was using, but it should be standard on Android.

That option is still there in settings under the same place. Settings > Applications > Development > Stay Awake

OP
B
Reaction score
That option is still there in settings under the same place. Settings > Applications > Development > Stay Awake

Thank you and how embarrassing. I had forgotten that is where it was. Well it's not exactly in the most intuitive place.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I meant. My bad on not makin that more clear.

And thanks Rick!

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Thank you and how embarrassing. I had forgotten that is where it was. Well it's not exactly in the most intuitive place.
No worries. My guess is it was put there because I know when I'm developing you're sometimes looking at the screen past timeout to figure something out.