Confused about CM4DX and CyanogenMod 7

OP
billyfj

billyfj

Reaction score
I have used only the Liberty mods since rooting my DX. I am currently on Justice v01. I really like Justice, but hate the battery life coming from the Liberty AOSP. Since I am past the hesitation of doing a SBF since I had to do this for Justice, I have thought about trying other Roms like CM7. I wanted to know if there is a difference in CM4DX and CM7 and what they are if any? Also your personal thoughts on any Roms knowing that I like Justice but not the battery life. Thanks all for your response

I went from Liberty AOSP to CM7, and loved it... until the battery issue finally wore me down. If you're like me and like to use your phone a lot, and don't always have access to a charger, then CM7 (unless they fix it) will eventually wear you down too. While you're on Justice, though, you might as well try out CM7 before you decide to go back, if you do.

I'm very happy with Liberty AOSP and APEX. I know they're not true aosp, but I like the fact I can use the blur alarm clock and camera. The aosp camera just doesn't do it for me. If the CM7 team does end up getting 30% more battery life out of it, I'd be more than happy to go back though.

Yes I use my phone a lot and hate the battery loss going to Justice. As you said I know the Libery AOSP was not true AOSP but it was a good Rom with Great battery life. Think I may try CM7 and see what all the people rave about it for

OP
billyfj

billyfj

Reaction score
No problem man. Another thing you might want to look into would be the Team Black Hat app. P3Droid (one of the developers of the app) has access to files through Motorola that no one else seems to have (sbf files, leaks, etc.). I saw earlier you mentioned the burden of having to flash an sbf, so I figured you would be interested in the all-in-one flashable zip files found in the Team Black Hat app that will prevent you from having to flash an sbf to get back to where you would like to be. See the link below for the app.

Software

I have the TBH app on my DX, but I have got past the fear or dread of doing a SBF using RSD lite. ( I kept reading so many horror stories on the forums about it) But I have done this twice now with no problems and it doesn't bother me. I dont think I have to SBF since I am on Justice to go to CM7, is that correct?? Either way I have downloaded the latest CM7 nightlie and the all in one fix and think I will SBF and give CM7 a try. If this is the best route you agree with? I already have ROMManager Premium also which I hear is great for CM7.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Billy, I have run both Justice and CM7. Even though Justice is based off CM7, I feel it is not as good. I get way better battery life on CM7 and I don't have random reboots every 5 minutes like with Justice.

Granted, you will never get the battery life of Apex or anything like that. But the benefits far outweigh the small issues.

Plus there is a nightly released every day pretty much.

CM74DX

OP
billyfj

billyfj

Reaction score
Billy, I have run both Justice and CM7. Even though Justice is based off CM7, I feel it is not as good. I get way better battery life on CM7 and I don't have random reboots every 5 minutes like with Justice.

Granted, you will never get the battery life of Apex or anything like that. But the benefits far outweigh the small issues.

CM74DX

Thanks Brad I am on my way to CM7 shortly. Would you mind reading my comment above your last post and see if you agree with my route of going to CM7. Thanks

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I have the TBH app on my DX, but I have got past the fear or dread of doing a SBF using RSD lite. ( I kept reading so many horror stories on the forums about it) But I have done this twice now with no problems and it doesn't bother me. I dont think I have to SBF since I am on Justice to go to CM7, is that correct?? Either way I have downloaded the latest CM7 nightlie and the all in one fix and think I will SBF and give CM7 a try. If this is the best route you agree with? I already have ROMManager Premium also which I hear is great for CM7.

Jutice is built off of cm7 so you dont have to sbf. All you need to do is wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache, install and you should be good to go.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

CM74DX

Thanks Brad I am on my way to CM7 shortly. Would you mind reading my comment above your last post and see if you agree with my route of going to CM7. Thanks

Just wipe data, cache and dalvik cache then flash CM7. You will also need to flash Gapps (Google apps), which is so you can use the market and sign in with your Google account and the all in one flashlight fix. Then reboot. If you'll give me a second, I'll get those links for you.

Edit: here are the Gapps:

http://www.mediafire.com/?14u8lj6ja7gufld

Here is the all in one fix for the camera and all that:

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?1347-All-In-One-Fix-Zip-for-CM4DX

CM74DX

draexo

Reaction score
No problem man. Another thing you might want to look into would be the Team Black Hat app. P3Droid (one of the developers of the app) has access to files through Motorola that no one else seems to have (sbf files, leaks, etc.). I saw earlier you mentioned the burden of having to flash an sbf, so I figured you would be interested in the all-in-one flashable zip files found in the Team Black Hat app that will prevent you from having to flash an sbf to get back to where you would like to be. See the link below for the app.

Software
This Team Black Hat app and another called madderstock have failed to get me back to Froyo like an SBF, even thought they are supposed to. In my experience, nothing beats the actual SBF, via rsdlite or the CD boot.