conflicted on Navigation now :(

flyinion

Reaction score
So, I've thoroughly enjoyed using Google Navigation even as far as using chrome to phone to send directions from my PC to the phone. Now, for Christmas without asking in any way shape or form, I was given a TomTom XXL 540M (M = lifetime 4x a year map updates) with a 5" screen. I've never owned a standalone GPS like a TomTom before but I love Google Navigation and it's literally about 50% of why I bought a Droid in the first place because last year I was looking for both a smart phone and a GPS device then the Droid arrived and satisfied both wishes at once.

So I guess what I'm wondering is how many people still use a standalone device even though they have an Android device with access to Navigation. Or did you stop using your standalone device? Are there features on the standalone device that will make me enjoy using it more than Google Nav on my Droid? I guess I won't have to worry about my Droid getting really hot with the charger on and sitting in the car mount though which will be nice.

b_salgado

Reaction score
I actually use both! I have in dash navigation in my truck. I also have an aux input in the stereo. I often find that Google Nav will find a different route that My Pioneer unit will not find. I have also found that my phone finds more addresses than my Pioneer does.
Keep in mind.... most of the locations I am trying to locate are residential addresses on secondary roads and routes. Often times it may be a dirt road. All I get is an address most times.... Sometimes I get lucky and the in dash will find it, sometimes I HAVE to use the phone. I have also used google earth to see what I am walking into if it's a known trouble issue.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I user both myself as well, sometimes I don't wish to grab the phone, other times I'll use GN to find alternative routes, etc.

REMilk

Reaction score
After becoming comfortable with the Navigation features on my Droid !, I sold my Magellan unit. I travel extensively around the US on business and the Navigation features on my Droid are so good, I no longer need to carry a separate GPS unit.

Bob

harv2000

Reaction score
It Depends on the vehicle I'm in and where I am. Google Nav hung me out to dry one time in Las Vegas.

I have a Garmin 1490T that I use most of the time if I'm in my truck and operating on a relatively long trip. If I'm in another vehicle or don't have the Garmin with me, I use the Droid. On my phone I vary back and forth between Google Nav and Copilot depending on what my needs are at the moment. My trust in Google Nav was severely damaged when it failed to get me to the car rental drop off in Vegas. It missed by 4 miles.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use a Garmin in my truck and the X when I'm with someone without GPS.

techguru

Reaction score
I have written on this before in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/app-announcements/92321-navizon-us-android.html and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/90491-htc-going-kill-free-turn-turn-directions.html but basically, there are three sources of electronic map data in the US. Navteq (used by Garmin) which is the best, TeleAtlas, used by TomTom, which is excellent in cities and a little less accurate in rural areas, and US Census Tiger database, which is the basis for all other mapping companies, including Google. Google has made many updates and corrections, and is faster about applying updates than anyone else, but are still behind at this time.

So, your TomTom will likely be more reliably accurate than Google, will work even in areas where you can't get a cell signal (Google will now cache if you start navigating, but can't create a route without a cell signal), and the battery will last longer without overheating the device.

I would keep it, and just use the phone if you are trying find something that isn't in the POI database, in which case the phone has Google search. Also, Google will likely be more accurate around new construction.

Alan

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I guess what I'm wondering is how many people still use a standalone device even though they have an Android device with access to Navigation.
Never used one myself. Part of the point of getting a smartphone for me was convergence. I can't stand carrying all sorts of devices, chargers and other accessories unless the standalone device offers what I consider to be a significant advantage. What you consider to be significant will vary and you won't know until you try the options for yourself (even if poll us).

OP
flyinion

flyinion

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I've kind of figured out my plan of how to use both. Since I don't really necessarily want to deal with carrying around a 5" GPS screen all the time and worrying about it if I leave it in the vehicle, I'll use it for when I know I'm going somewhere. If I'm just around town and need directions somewhere then the phone will continue to work for that. Of course on the planned trip with the GPS device, I'll still have the phone as a backup if the GPS can't get me a good route.

So, your TomTom will likely be more reliably accurate than Google, will work even in areas where you can't get a cell signal (Google will now cache if you start navigating, but can't create a route without a cell signal), and the battery will last longer without overheating the device.
Alan

Yeah I experienced that a couple months ago when I was out above San Francisco at Point Reyes lighthouse. I was going in and out of any cell signal at all.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i would have to say that nothing beats a stand-alone GPS unit.

I use my Droid for GPS and when a phone call comes in while i'm trying to follow the directions it of course distracts me. Having a GPS and a phone gets rid of that problem, but I gave my GPS unit to my parents since I have my droid now.

Plus the fact that you can send maps to your phone from your pc is a huge plus to me.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the only time i use my phone for GPS is when im with a friend or whoever may not have a GPS unit in their car.

i dont use it in either of my cars because they both have built in GPS units that are much better then google navigation.