Confirmed: Verizon 3G Subscribers Keep Unlimited Data Plan When Upgrading to 4G Phone

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

verizonupgrade.png

Verizon recently announced their new tiered data plans that have now replaced the older plans. One pretty big thing that’s missing from the tiered data is the unlimited 3G data plan that used to exist. That $30 unlimited data plan was nice but is no longer available. But Verizon has good news if you’re willing to upgrade to a 4G LTE phone.

So if you currently have a 3G smartphone on Verizon’s network and are using the $30 unlimited data plan you’ll be able to upgrade your 3G smartphone to a 4G LTE smartphone and then you’ll be able to keep your unlimited data plus for $30 a month you can get an unlimited mobile LTE hotspot which is pretty good. Verizon posted this news on their Twitter account today.

This is some really great news for Verizon customers. You get to continue using your unlimited 3G data plan and once the contract is up you can upgrade to an even better 4G LTE phone and still have unlimited data but on a much faster LTE network. Plus for $30 more a month you can turn your phone into a mobile hotspot with unlimited tethering. We’ll have to see how long this deal is available though.

VZWSupport Twitter

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd consider dropping my ISP, but then tethering all the time and charging my phone would be a pain just to save 20 bucks...I take it no cheaper tether plan is available?

In my mind, VZW is saying a little free tether won't hurt anyone. But understandably if you tether a lot they what you to pay.

warped1987

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but no where in that tweet do they claim to allow people who are on Unlimited 3G to upgrade to 4G and keep an Unlimited Plan. But maybe that's just me?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Looks like the sales guy that sold my wife her Thunderbolt was telling the truth. I asked that exact question and he said that I could upgrade to 4G and keep my unlimited. He said that it doesn't matter if its 3g or 4g. unlimited data is unlimited no matter which it was.

Reaction score
VZ rep called me today, confirmed grandfathering in to Unlimited data, but....if you "currently" don't have a tethering plan, you can't get the $30 unlimited tethering, only the $20 2gb tethering.

Reaction score
4G LTE is unlimited already if you have unlimited data plan for 3G?

If you ahve Unlimited 3G now, you will be grandfathered into a 4G unlimited plan, because VZW is making it 1 price for either 3G or 4G. So it doesn't matter what data speed you choose, you'll pay the same price.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Reaction score
VZ rep called me today, confirmed grandfathering in to Unlimited data, but....if you "currently" don't have a tethering plan, you can't get the $30 unlimited tethering, only the $20 2gb tethering.

That is not what this indicated:

3G customers on the unlimited plan can also upgrade to 4G later and get it according to Verizon twitter.

Twitter / VZW Support: @jwu1980 If you current ha ...
Twitter / VZW Support: @jwu1980 2/2 unlimited dat ...

I know, just adding other info when VZ rep called me today. Just in case people wanted to know.

PainProphet

Reaction score
Only thing people keep failing to ask them is how long they are going to honor this? Will it be until they get some decent (or just any) dual core LTE phones or when Sprint finally goes to tiered. Verizon's been posturing to pounce for months, I don't trust them as far as I could kick them in the @$$. dancedroid

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Only thing people keep failing to ask them is how long they are going to honor this? Will it be until they get some decent (or just any) dual core LTE phones or when Sprint finally goes to tiered. Verizon's been posturing to pounce for months, I don't trust them as far as I could kick them in the @$$. dancedroid

I would think that the unlimited phone data would be at least as long as the contract is current and likely for as long as you are a customer. The unlimited tether could be much different, as I think they could stop that at any time without violating the contract. I would consider replacing my cable internet with the tether, as I use less than 10GB a month at home, but would be concerned that it will go away. I get a $10 discount for the cable internet and would not be able to get that back if I cancel and then sigh up again.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I would think that the unlimited phone data would be at least as long as the contract is current and likely for as long as you are a customer. The unlimited tether could be much different, as I think they could stop that at any time without violating the contract. I would consider replacing my cable internet with the tether, as I use less than 10GB a month at home, but would be concerned that it will go away. I get a $10 discount for the cable internet and would not be able to get that back if I cancel and then sigh up again.

As long as you are subscribed to it, i'm about 100% sure that it will not just vanish on you, but what people have been saying is that they are not sure if it's a limited time only deal.