Compass East/West Flipped

mattdog

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here and I have an issue with my Moto Droid X2. Ever since my phone did a system update, the East and West in Google Maps and Sky Maps are backwards, meaning, when I face East, it shows West and vice versa. North and South are fine however. The person at the Verizon store just told me just to do a system hard reset, however, that did not change anything. I really liked using Google Sky Maps before this problem :mad: . Yes, I have checked for updated to Google Maps and Sky Maps and are both up to date.

Is anyone else having the same problem? I suspect it's a software issue as the Catch.com Compass app works just fine.

My System Version is 1.3.380.MB870.verizon.en.us and my Android version is 2.3.4.

Thanks

rbreyes

Reaction score
Have you tried recalibrating the compass? I suggest you grab a compass program or even GPS Status from the market and use their calibration routines. In GPS Status call up the tools menu and recalibrate the compass from there. It involves rotating the phone several times around each of its three principal axes.

OP
M

mattdog

Reaction score
Only the Google apps have the east/west flipped problem. I downloaded the app you mentioned and the compass in it works fine.

I have also noticed that when going down the road in a car, the Google Maps compass will point in the right direction (east/west). It only seems to be a problem at a stand still like for the usage of the Google Sky Maps.

I suspect that this is a Google software bug and I hope they will come out with a patch for it soon!!

pup154

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I just thought I was crazy and never said anything to anybody. lol

RangerAL

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my DroidX2. SkyMap no longer works like it did before the update.

chrishazzoo

Reaction score
I am having the same issue, skymap and maps not showing correctly as before. Still searching for a fix.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

SumoKeirin

Reaction score
Google SkyMap plus other programs that use any sort of what my non-tech mind thinks of as pass through where you look up or at the sky such as any astronomy app which is supposed to align the antenna with the camera or something like that. It just seems to not be able to figure which way it really is pointing in a rotational axis. I just don't use it with my X2 which is really disappointing for an amateur astronomer like me and my kids are bummed too.

Bill