Comparison Chart: Motorola XOOM vs. iPad

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people need tablets. Especially if you already have a smartphone and a laptop.

Can someone explain to me?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Yes it is kind of overkill. But I have a rooted nook color and love it. It is better for me for reading, playing games, and watching movies than on a small smart phone screen. I travel a lot and it comes in hand when traveling. Plus I didn't want to spend $800 on a laptop, so that is why I got the nook color for $250 and rooted it (it does all the same stuff as galaxy tab just about). Also the capabilities of ALL tabs are limited, even if it it has honeycomb, and none of them are worth more than $400 in my opinion.

I have a NOOKcolor too, but that is a lot different than the XOOM. While I would like to have a XOOM, I consider it just an expensive toy that I cannot afford. It is nearly 3X the cost of the NOOKcolor. In addition, I cannot read any magazines on the XOOM. Most are only able to be read on the NOOKcolor, not even the NOOK. I bought the NOOKcolor specifically to read books and magazines and consider it a good deal. When I can buy a netbook for about 1/2 the cost of the XOOM, I cannot even begin to justify a XOOM, unless I had a lot more money to spend on non-essential items than I do.

Another Nook Color owner! Our base is growing every day. There are talks of us getting Cyanogen and Honeycomb on our tabs soon. Even if my NC was not rooted I would still love it though. Its a great value and a high performance tab all in one. I agree the Xoom is just way too overpriced.

Diordna

Reaction score
I don't care that they're comparing it to the iPad that has been out for almost a year.

If the iPad obviously loses by EVERYTHING compared to the new XOOM, you'd think just maybe the XOOM should be the higher priced? 0.0

So you guys say that it's not fair to compare the new to old, when the old is more expensive xD

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I have a NOOKcolor too, but that is a lot different than the XOOM. While I would like to have a XOOM, I consider it just an expensive toy that I cannot afford. It is nearly 3X the cost of the NOOKcolor. In addition, I cannot read any magazines on the XOOM. Most are only able to be read on the NOOKcolor, not even the NOOK. I bought the NOOKcolor specifically to read books and magazines and consider it a good deal. When I can buy a netbook for about 1/2 the cost of the XOOM, I cannot even begin to justify a XOOM, unless I had a lot more money to spend on non-essential items than I do.

Another Nook Color owner! Our base is growing every day. There are talks of us getting Cyanogen and Honeycomb on our tabs soon. Even if my NC was not rooted I would still love it though. Its a great value and a high performance tab all in one. I agree the Xoom is just way too overpriced.

My wife an I both think it is a great deal. I do use it occasionally to get on the web, but with our desktop and netbook almost always on at home, it is more convenient to just use those. When out, we always have my Droid and her Ally with us, so I wouldn't think of carrying the NOOK around too. I do plan to use it to show photos to people when we go back home on vacation. Being retired probably makes me look at these devices differently. If my wife and I were both still working then we would possibly have either a Galaxy tab or a XOOM. I think that the 7 inch screen is the best compromise resolution, size and weight. Going up to a 10 inch screen makes me think that a netbook is better idea. The Dell Duo is the big winner in my mind for a 10 inch screen device. That is a toy I can drool over, but not justify.

RemyL75

Reaction score
The comparison chart is basically there to show what your money (700 bucks) gets you. Up until next month, it would get you what an iPad has to offer. After the 17th, it will get you that or the Xoom. Seeing this comparison shows me that the 700 price tag is worth it.
I have an iPad (Merry Christmas to me :D lol) and as much as I have disliked Apple (ok, hated), I have to admit it is a very solid device. No lag (as-of-yet), great video playback and the battery life is killer (have only charged it 3 times in as many weeks). I am waiting for an Android device that can work this well. I have had high hopes for the tablets that have come out up until now. So far none of them have what the Xoom have. So, I will put my faith behind Motorola on this one. They have done good by me with the Droid 1 and the Droid X (still a little annoyed with the Droid 2, but if the Xoom works out I will forgive them for that lol).
As for why I would need a tablet. Hell I don't need it. But i have been waiting for tech like this to become a reality since Star Trek TNG. it's one of the things that intrigued me about the show. Everything they did was on pads/tablets or various sizes. So in my eyes, this is an exciting time.
The Tablet Wars have finally begun and I wanna watch the bodies hit the floor and see whos left standing. Here's hoping an Android tablet will come out on the other side.

sphen22

Reaction score
Had an ipad wifi as a gift. Got stolen. Def getting xoom paying one month of contract then hot spotting it with my x and latter bionic. Very excited. Had ipod touch then have it to my wife and lived not having to deal with itunes. When I had the ipad for a short whole it made me remember why I hate apple, itunes!

zenit

Reaction score
they are insane if they plan on selling good amount of these tablets at the price point they are offering. To even have a fighting chance against apple they need to price it at $399 at the highest. Nook color is a great example of how an android tablet should be priced. Awesome little device, cheaper and in my opinion alot better than current android flagship tablet the samsung galaxy tab.

There is no way Xoom is worth $700 let alone $800. There is simply no content available for it yet, and the specs dont really matter to a regular tablet buyer. To make it even worse for upcoming Android tablets, the ipad doesnt have any performance problems one would try to "fix" with higher specced hardware.

Also, the concept behind ipad experience is to greatly simplify the computing experience, and from what i've seen it is extremely popular with all of the people that I know who were not super proficient with computers. Marketing a competitor tablet by using specs as a selling point to that kind of crowd is utter lunacy.

bL33d

Reaction score
$500 would of been high for a android tablet imo. I am hopeing that the new tablets will drop the price of teh galaxy tab.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

My wife an I both think it is a great deal. I do use it occasionally to get on the web, but with our desktop and netbook almost always on at home, it is more convenient to just use those. When out, we always have my Droid and her Ally with us, so I wouldn't think of carrying the NOOK around too. I do plan to use it to show photos to people when we go back home on vacation. Being retired probably makes me look at these devices differently. If my wife and I were both still working then we would possibly have either a Galaxy tab or a XOOM. I think that the 7 inch screen is the best compromise resolution, size and weight. Going up to a 10 inch screen makes me think that a netbook is better idea. The Dell Duo is the big winner in my mind for a 10 inch screen device. That is a toy I can drool over, but not justify.

Yes the 7 inch is a perfect size for a tab. 10 inch is not for me. I agree once you get into the 10 inch range might as well get a netbook or laptop. Although these very expensive tabs like the galaxy are tempting I still think they are a waste of money.

bL33d

Reaction score
BAH thanks alot people i started reading up on rooted nook colors and now i want one :icon_evil:

I think im gonna piss my wife off ..... again.

Looks as if it runs most games smooth specially oced to 1ghz

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
BAH thanks alot people i started reading up on rooted nook colors and now i want one :icon_evil:

I think im gonna piss my wife off ..... again.

Looks as if it runs most games smooth specially oced to 1ghz

Check out the Nook Color section over at androidtablets.net. It pretty cool and definitely has a future as rooted device. So far I have clockwork on mine at have it overclocked to 950mhz. Its still on of 2.1 for the most part, but its beginning to evolve. We will have flash and 2.2 soon and there are talks of CM7 and custom roms. Keep in mind there is no hdmi. It's perfect for what I need. For games I have Exzuez and a kanged NOVA running on mine.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I bet all those who stated that they aren't getting it, are now DROOLING! The iPad is a disgrace compared to the XOOM! Remember...APPLE is greedy and releases 1-3 features per device (just to make money on upgrades)...while MOTO doesn't hold back at all!!!

APPLE should get slapped for not putting at least 1 camera on the first iPad!!! How dare they!?

Well considering that the IPAD came out almost a year before the Xoom, and you are comparing the Xoom to it which is using technology that wasn't even available a year ago... I'd say it's not really a disgrace. Tho i can't wait til the Xoom releases so I can tote my Xoom and Ipad together and have the best of both worlds. :D

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I don't care that they're comparing it to the iPad that has been out for almost a year.

If the iPad obviously loses by EVERYTHING compared to the new XOOM, you'd think just maybe the XOOM should be the higher priced? 0.0

So you guys say that it's not fair to compare the new to old, when the old is more expensive xD

Has it been confirmed that this is the 3g/4g model of the Xoom and not the Wifi only version?

Caesarg

Reaction score
+1 for the Nook Color

I also think this comparison is just to try and justify the cost of the Xoom. See we have better specs and we charge less so of course you want one! But in reality for that price you can get a killer laptop.

I bought a Nook Color rooted it and now have a tablet that is good for what I want it for - web browsing, email, reading (books and magazines) and looking at pics. I do it all for $250.00. In my book that is not bad. I paid the same for my OG Droid.

But, I believe like all new tech gear, there are a lot of people who are saying I must have a tablet even though I think most don't really know why they must have one. Hell that was me!

Oh well back to my Nook.....:icon_ banana:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another nook owner! I have been seeing more and more of us pop up every day. The nook is really a versatile device with a good future.

sent from my rooted nook color