Common problem, new device, previous market downloads missing?

TNS201

Reaction score
This seems to be a common problem people have, maybe it can be solved.
Get new phone, go to market, downloads, nothing there? So you can't redownload your apps you had previously downloaded or it isnt restored when you login the first time to your phone?

Ok. So I swapped out my phone yesterday and got a new droid. When I got into my new phone, i lost all my market downloads, but it did show my paid apps. All free apps I downloaded are not showing!

So I did a nandroid restore of DATA only from an older backup, but I don't want to use this one. But upon doing so I was able to see all my free apps I had downloaded from the market again. So somewhere DATA contains the information or file needed for market to display what you had previously downloaded.

So my question is, if I open up data.tar and extract all the files within, does anyone know where I could possibly find what I am looking for so I could just transfer this over to my new phone setup?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i have no idea about the tar thing but i use astro and back up my apps and they're all there after i flash a new rom :D

OP
T

TNS201

Reaction score
i have no idea about the tar thing but i use astro and back up my apps and they're all there after i flash a new rom :D

Yea, I know you can back them up with astro which I did.

That's not the problem.

All my apps disappeared in the Market Downloads, only thing that showed was the paid apps. All the free apps I downloaded were not there so I won't get update notifications. That's the problem at hand, I restored them with ASTRO.

I ended up just restoring my nandroid DATA, but I wanted to know if there is a specific file or set of files that let the market know which apps you have downloaded.

OP
T

TNS201

Reaction score
Ok,

Did some more messing around. I put my older DATA nadroid backup on, went to market and I had to update a few apps, then it started downloading some apps I had downloaded before yesterday, but after the time of the backup I had restored.

So there has to be something within DATA that tells the market what you have downloaded or something that identifies you to the market to bring up the history.

gth5003

Reaction score
I am also very curious about this because after receiving 2 different replacement phones neither had my apps in the downloads..................boo :icon_eek:

OP
T

TNS201

Reaction score
I am also very curious about this because after receiving 2 different replacement phones neither had my apps in the downloads..................boo :icon_eek:

Is your phone rooted? Have nandroid installed? Have any old nandroid backups form your first phone? You can restore the DATA only from the old nandroid backup, but it will change alot of stuff on your phone the way it is now to the way it was when your backup was made.

gth5003

Reaction score
I just went and downloaded all of them again but if I do a clean install of a new rom say in a day or so I would like to have my apps remembered in my dowloads.

Btw yes I am rooted and have nandroid and sprecovery on my droid. What are the steps to just getting the data to restore? Thanks

OP
T

TNS201

Reaction score
I just went and downloaded all of them again but if I do a clean install of a new rom say in a day or so I would like to have my apps remembered in my dowloads.

Btw yes I am rooted and have nandroid and sprecovery on my droid. What are the steps to just getting the data to restore? Thanks

Restart in recovery, go to advanced nandroid restore, choose the backup you want, then make sure that DATA is the only thing with a * next to it, then choose restore.

You need a backup too, if you dont have one to make one,
Restart in recovery, go to advanced nandroid backup, name your backup what you want, I just do my name then TODDYYYYMMDD and press enter. Then put a * next to everything to make a complete backu, then choose start backup.. I always backup before I do something new to my phone to ensure I can go back to the way things are if I get stuck in an endless boot loop or get a bunch of FCs after installing something.

gth5003

Reaction score

Restart in recovery, go to advanced nandroid restore, choose the backup you want, then make sure that DATA is the only thing with a * next to it, then choose restore.

Restart in recovery, go to advanced nandroid backup, name your backup what you want, I just do my name then TODDYYYYMMDD and press enter. Then put a * next to everything to make a complete backu, then choose start backup.. I always backup before I do something new to my phone to ensure I can go back to the way things are if I get stuck in an endless boot loop or get a bunch of FCs after installing something.

Sounds good....I will use this method next time I am experimenting with my phone. Thanks again!

OP
T

TNS201

Reaction score

Sounds good....I will use this method next time I am experimenting with my phone. Thanks again!

i actually just used my old DATA backup, it was only like 10 days old, was nice to get all my settings back along with it too. Good luck with your experimenting. I am using sholes 2.0.3 and I have been changing alot of my **** around. Its great.