Comcast email won't 'Mark as Read'

jkayner

Reaction score
I've setup my Comcast account and it pulls in email just fine, but I cannot get the damn emails to mark as read. i've done it multiple times, deleted and recreated the account, but for whatever reason it just won't set them as read. I have even marked them as read on the web mail, but the account on the droid will still show them as unread.

gonzilla

Reaction score
Having the same issues with my Yahoo account. I also sent out an email yesterday and it put about 30 copies of it in my sent box. weird.

blauter78

Reaction score
I have optonline from Cablevision and after about a week I started to have similar problem and did the same things you did.

I think I have it solved though. I marked all emails as read and then a bunch came back as unread so I clicked on each email individually. I let it completely load the email and then backed out. Seems to be ok. Seems the emails that had to load pictures or attachments were the only ones coming back.

Hope it helps.

Markee

Reaction score
I've setup my Comcast account and it pulls in email just fine, but I cannot get the damn emails to mark as read. i've done it multiple times, deleted and recreated the account, but for whatever reason it just won't set them as read. I have even marked them as read on the web mail, but the account on the droid will still show them as unread.
I have comcast too... Get my Droid tomorrow... Read my mail through outlook on laptop... will need to make it all sing and dance together... Hopefully it will all play well together... I will stay tuned...

Stigy

Reaction score
Is your Comcast email POP3 or IMAP?

If it is POP3 there is no way for the server to know the email was marked read on the device since POP3 just downloads a local copy to the device. The device never sends any information back to the server informing it of read/unread status.

sk8sn0surf

Reaction score
Having the same issues with my Yahoo account. I also sent out an email yesterday and it put about 30 copies of it in my sent box. weird.

I am having the same issue with my college email address using IMAP.

stelev

Reaction score
Is your Comcast email POP3 or IMAP?

If it is POP3 there is no way for the server to know the email was marked read on the device since POP3 just downloads a local copy to the device. The device never sends any information back to the server informing it of read/unread status.

REPLY: Cannot be insurmountable becasue blackberry/rim has it figured out so the technology exists. I have 2 pop3 accounts with comcast. One perfoms perfectly. The other pulls 25 message blocks of emails that I have already deleted and removed from my deleted folder. It does this on random days and at random times. Sometimes it gives me a block of blank messages from 12/31/199 that do not exist in my comcast account, also only in the one account. I have deleted and reinstalled my email accounts onto my droid in opposite order and that did not help. Still only problems with the same account. If I were no so impressed with the google apps in particular, I would go back to my trusty, problem free blakcberry.

Markee

Reaction score
Seamless e-mail Connection between Droid and Outlook on Laptop

I have finally managed to get my personal e-mail account on Comcast to work seamlessly with my g-mail e-mail account on the Droid…

I can read mail either on laptop computer or my droid, read and delete it on either device and it will automatically mark it read or delete it on the other device.

Here is how I made it work…

1) First log on to your Gmail account and change the settings so that mail sent from gmail looks as though it is being sent from your Comcast account. This way you do not need to give up the old Comcast e-mail address. This will send a confirmation e-mail to your Comcast account. If your gmail is your primary account then you can skip this step.
2) Next, log on to your Comcast e-mail account. Click on the e-mail that changes the gmail email that confirms your email address change.
3) While logged into your Comcast account by the web goes to e-mail preferences and change the automatic forwarding to have the e-mail preferences to have all of my e-mail forwarded to my gmail account. Do not check the box that has Comcast save a copy.
4) Set up your outlook account on your laptop/desktop to form an IMAP link with the gmail account. Select “Tools”, Using IMAP instead of POP will insure that if you delete mail on your phone or laptop, it will automatically delete it on the other device.
5) You need to go onto gmail and use the help to get the settings right on your incoming and outgoing servers. It is spelled out in the g-mail help.
6) Only things that remain. Is the calendar on outlook does not match with gmail… Could pay $39 for a program from Companionlink that would automatically sync gmail and outlook when I start my laptop or at a time period... But not sure I need that yet… My calendar is not what it once was…
All seems to be working fine… It can be done…

Markee