Combo: Alarm Clock and Let Emergency Calls Through?

goffredo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I work internationally so I get calls at all hours of the day, and I have meeting reminders beeping a lot. I use SilentTime to put my phone into silent mode (no vibrate!) when I'm asleep, and I use its 'Exceptions' feature to allow calls from my family to come through at all hours in case there's an emergency. This works great! I've never woken up to an unwanted call, text message, email notification chime, meeting reminder alarm, etc.

However, I would like to integrate an alarm clock into this. I'm not familiar with the alarm clock apps on the market, but it seems this presents a problem. Consider this scenario:

SilentTime puts phone in Silent mode from 10PM -> 8AM (except emergency calls)
Alarm Clock set to go off at 6AM

Yes that's right, I don't care to hear my phone ring as soon as I get up! I need coffee before I'm ready to deal with it. But when the alarm clock goes off, the phone will be in silent mode so I won't hear it, right? Seems like I need either:

1) An alarm clock that overrides SilentTime's silent mode; or,
2) A new "alarm clock" exception that I can add to SilentTime

Any suggestions for 1)? I've already emailed the author of SilentTime regarding 2).

Thanks very much! Man I really dig how customizable this phone is.

PS: Yes, I know Tasker can probably do this if I spend half a day configuring it and testing/debugging it. As you can probably tell, I'm not interested in this. I need something that my wife can figure out in a pinch.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I use Silent Time Lite.
When I need an alarm before the Silent Time expires, I just take my chances and disable Silent Time, and set up the alarm.
There seems to be an unlimted number of schedules you can create, so what about creating another schedule where the silent time expires early, just before the alarm, and switch to that when you need an alarm. Allow your exceptions to ring through the early schedule as well.
Once you set up the early schedule, it's just a matter of a few button pushes to enable or disable it.

OP
G

goffredo

Reaction score
That's a good idea but it's a lot of tapping around and thinking! It should work in the interim until hopefully I find a simpler solution. Maybe I'll try to download a few Alarm Clock apps and see if any are able to over-ride Silent Time's silent mode. Embarrassingly, I am using an old iPhone for my alarm clock right now until I get this figured out!