Clockwork/ROM manager and Froyo/2.2 issues.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had some serious issues with rom manager the past 2 days.

I get stuck at the " M " also.........can not boot into cw.

Ok this is the only workaround I have found to work for me. Just flash spr. then reboot..........then re-flash cw and reboot. That has worked for me but its a major pain in the butt!

O BTW I am now running CM rc-1 and trying to put 928's theme for it on.

Recently, RM/CW has had lots of issues. The developer has recommended flashing between CW and SPR. If that does not resolve the issue then go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/38233-real-time-irc-support-click-here.html and speak with the developer and his team.

The only reason I installed RM/CW was to learn the process and help with rescue squad issues. I choose to keep the alternative recovery of RM, SPRecovery, flash because that works best for me.

Mike

jayb

Reaction score
I have had some serious issues with rom manager the past 2 days.

I get stuck at the " M " also.........can not boot into cw.

Ok this is the only workaround I have found to work for me. Just flash spr. then reboot..........then re-flash cw and reboot. That has worked for me but its a major pain in the butt!

O BTW I am now running CM rc-1 and trying to put 928's theme for it on.

Recently, RM/CW has had lots of issues. The developer has recommended flashing between CW and SPR. If that does not resolve the issue then go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/38233-real-time-irc-support-click-here.html and speak with the developer and his team.

The only reason I installed RM/CW was to learn the process and help with rescue squad issues. I choose to keep the alternative recovery of RM, SPRecovery, flash because that works best for me.

Mike

Thanks........and I agree to keep both. I just made backups with both so that I dont have as many issues. I hope they get this working a lil better. ( I am sure they will tho )

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
There are a couple of things that I have found that have helped with the Rom Manager issues. It appears that Rom Manager and ClockworkMod is not completely compatible with the 2.2 ROMs that are coming out. I am sure that the developers are working on fixing the problems. In the meantime here are some of the steps I have been taking that have made my RM experience less painfull

1. Clear download cache before starting any RM activity. To do this go into RM > menu > clear download cache.

2. If I am flashing anything, roms, themes, updates to CW, anything I use WiFi. It seems RM likes WiFi and gets a better download.

3. If all else fails, I download the rom or theme to my computer, push it to my sd card and either install from sd card in RM or boot into recovery and install there.

Oh and also, some of you that have been stuck at the M or in boot loop, if you have recently flashed a 2.2 Rom and then tried a custom Kernel, I have learned (from personal experience) that a lot of the custom kernels do not play nice with the 2.2 Froyo Roms. I would suggest loading the 2.2 Froyo Rom, booting up, let everything sync and see how the stock kernel works before jumping to a custom kernel. Again I am sure these are all little glitches that will be worked out over time but for now the 2.2 Froyo roms are so new that a lot of the apps and kernels have not caught up.

Hope this helps some of you out.

OmegaXzer0

Reaction score
I just tried to install the 2.2 rooted ROM Download: Rooted FRG01B Froyo for DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog using the ROM manager. This is the first time I have ever installed any rom either with or without the ROM Manager. I am using a DROID that was rooted using Easy Root. It just gets stuck on the screen with a ! inside a triangle next to the phone whenever I choose to install. Any help?

rjax

Reaction score
I just tried to install the 2.2 rooted ROM Download: Rooted FRG01B Froyo for DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog using the ROM manager. This is the first time I have ever installed any rom either with or without the ROM Manager. I am using a DROID that was rooted using Easy Root. It just gets stuck on the screen with a ! inside a triangle next to the phone whenever I choose to install. Any help?

Sounds sort of like the problem I was having earlier, and reported in this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-triangle-screen-before-i-try-fix-things.html

But I'm still way too new at this to know what's best for you.

droidchickohnoes

Reaction score
I got an offer for a better upgrade, but Cell Provider wants my phone back. I wanted to restore it back to 2.1 not rooted but am having a horrible time with RM.

I have tried all the ways that I have found on forums but nothing seems to work.

When I download the stock 2.1 image with no SU from RM and then select wipe data cache and reboot into recovery, it then says sdcard not found or something of that effect. Any other ideas to get this phone back to normal?

I have to take it to the store on Monday and I dont know what they will say when they get a Droid with SU and modded to Lithium.

EDIT: I have also followed the instruction on recovery with RSD Lite, but I seem to be getting
the issue with the start button not being clickable, or greyed out. It seems a lot of
others have had this issue, and searching forums to solve that one has lead me to a
dead end as well.

DOUBLE EDIT:: Okay so every time I post on here about 10 minutes later I solve the issue. I went into RM and flashed SPrecovery, then clicked on reboot into recovery and clicked the SPrecovery option instead of the clockwork, and clicked allow, and it starting installing.

/solved

Last edited:

drk1

Reaction score

I had the same exact thing yesterday when I finally decided to go to froyo 2.2. Honestly I've tried so many things and had so many things happen, I lost track of order and what did what (hey, I'm not at work).

I found that with the frozen /!\ on the screen, if I hit volume up and camera buttons at the same time, that got me to the options ("reboot system now, apply zip from sd card" etc.) screen, from there I was at least able to work with the phone.

I've since been able to install P3Droid's ROMS (still trying various ROMS).

CWM ROM manager is still working, on & off, sometimes saying it's broken and other times working fine.

YMMV and Good Luck

Dave

Last edited:

corncraze

Reaction score
ok so every time i try to get a new theme on rom manger, as soon as I load it into clockworkmod it says this every time "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" Ive tried to install manually and straight from rom manager, but nothing works. Can someone tech savvy please help?

motoconvert

Reaction score
I purchased the premium version using paypal, had to do a flash recovery, and now it says that I have to purchase it again. Is this true? I used titanium backup before I did the recovery, but it didn't save that...any thoughts?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Open the Market and tap menu tap downloads. RM should be there.

drhahn

Reaction score
Have Droid Incredible, rooted, ROM Manager installed on original image which was backed up via ROM Manager and backup sitting on sdcard. Flashed new ROM (Ruby 1.1.1) which does not have Market or ROM Manager and is current ROM.

Was attempting to install google apps (with market) via an update.zip when issues started. Update did not complete. When connecting to PC, sdcard is visible but internal memory is not readable (asks to format - no thanks).

ClockWorkMod recovery 2.5.0.5 appears but menu options do nothing (blank screen, pressing power again restores CW menu - I have waited many minutes before). How can I get a working recovery program back? SPrecovery in other threads describe process for a Motorola Droid.

Is the ROM Manager generated backup a nandroid backup and compatible with SPrecovery? How can I best proceed? Attempts to get a working Market by installing vending.apk and various dependency apks not yielding a working Market.

Thanks

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have Droid Incredible, rooted, ROM Manager installed on original image which was backed up via ROM Manager and backup sitting on sdcard. Flashed new ROM (Ruby 1.1.1) which does not have Market or ROM Manager and is current ROM.

Did you use ClockWorkMod or SPRecovery to make the backup?

Was attempting to install google apps (with market) via an update.zip when issues started. Update did not complete. When connecting to PC, sdcard is visible but internal memory is not readable (asks to format - no thanks).

Did you wipe again? If so, that will mess your phone.

ClockWorkMod recovery 2.5.0.5 appears but menu options do nothing (blank screen, pressing power again restores CW menu - I have waited many minutes before). How can I get a working recovery program back? SPrecovery in other threads describe process for a Motorola Droid.

Are you able to boot the phone or boot into recovery?

Is the ROM Manager generated backup a nandroid backup and compatible with SPrecovery? How can I best proceed? Attempts to get a working Market by installing vending.apk and various dependency apks not yielding a working Market.

Backups are not interchangeable. If you used CW to make a backup it will not work with SPR nor will backups made with SPR work with CW.

Thanks

Hope this is helpful

drhahn

Reaction score
Thanks for backup compatibility comments. Looks like I'll need to get ROM Manager back and recover from it.

Did you use ClockWorkMod or SPRecovery to make the backup?

I used CW to make the backup from original ROM.

Are you able to boot the phone or boot into recovery?

I can cold boot (power & volume down) to HBOOT menu select RECOVERY, which reboots into CW recovery; those menu choices [when selected] are not responsive however and am left with pulling battery. Interestingly some error messages flash and disappear quickly during HBOOT menu (before I can select RECOVERY) - No image or wrong image.

Normal power cycle loads normally to functioning phone (just am stuck with ROM until I can get ROM Manger to recover).

Video of cycle at [video=youtube;DbZuRqOBHN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZuRqOBHN4[/video]

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly you can boot and get into RM? If that is the case, install a different/older version of CW and see if that will let you into recovery