clockwork md5 mismatch and bootloops

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
SO I was trying to clean up the memory on my gnex, deleting and renaming stuff. Anyhow, renamed my clockwork backups so I could more easily recognize them (didnt realize this would give me MD5 errors).

Updated an app and broke a theme, giving me a bootloop... so I went to wipe and restore, and... all my backups give me md5 mismatches.

So Ive got clockwork recovery, but no workable backups. Can I use ADB or WUG's to push a zip to my "sd card" and then flash? I see that WUG's can probably restore to stock from the bootloader, but I'd hate to go ALL the way back.

Any ideas?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have any backups stored on your computer?

If not, I would just flash a new rom. If you can get your phone to connect via ADB you can push a rom file onto your sd card. Do you know how to use ADB? Basically, you'll download the rom and gapps to your "platform-tools" folder on your computer then run the command: "adb push "your file here" /sdcard". After success, you'll need to boot into clockwork and wipe/factory reset like normal, then flash the rom and gapps and you should be up and running again.

Edit: The other thing to consider, do you have any existing rom zips on your sd card? You could also flash one of those...

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You cannot have any spaces or unknown characters in your backup names. That's why you're getting md5 mismatches. Just flash a new rom or wipe and then rename the backups correctly and restore.

OP
H

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
Do you have any backups stored on your computer?

If not, I would just flash a new rom. If you can get your phone to connect via ADB you can push a rom file onto your sd card. Do you know how to use ADB? Basically, you'll download the rom and gapps to your "platform-tools" folder on your computer then run the command: "adb push "your file here" /sdcard". After success, you'll need to boot into clockwork and wipe/factory reset like normal, then flash the rom and gapps and you should be up and running again.

Edit: The other thing to consider, do you have any existing rom zips on your sd card? You could also flash one of those...

The issue is, it's either bootloop, or recovery. I cannot boot into android, so I don't think I can enable usb debugging for ADB. Right?

I know what I did wrong NOW... it was just a series of unfortunate events.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as you didn't wipe system, you should be able to.do a factory reset in recovery and then reboot.

OP
H

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
I wish. I didnt wipe system, but my current rom does nothing but bootloop. I just tried a wipe again to be double sure, and I'm still looping.

I've got nothing on my phone that's flashable. So the million dollar question is, can I get a zip onto my phone without being able to boot to android?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
1. Reboot into recovery
2. Make sure /data partition is mounted via recovery (under mounts and storage)
Code:
adb push *nameofROM*.zip /data/media/*nameofROM*.zip

If you have titanium backup you should be able to even salvage some data/apps from your backup (this may be a pro feature).

Alternatively there is a way to generate an md5sum via adb as well (in recovery with /data partition mounted) so you can potentially salvage the backup.
Code:
adb shell
su
cd /data/media/clockworkmod/backup/*nameofbackup*
md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
^that may take some time, it took quite a while on the OG Droid, I haven't done it yet on the GN.

If you don't know the name of the folder you can do:
Code:
cd /data/media/clockworkmod/backup/
ls

???

Reaction score
can you not just mount the sd card from the recover and copy and paste a rom to it from your computer like you could with the D1? then flash it as a update.zip?

i know nothing about adb either lol.

OP
H

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
1. Reboot into recovery
2. Make sure /data partition is mounted via recovery (under mounts and storage)
Code:
adb push *nameofROM*.zip /data/media/*nameofROM*.zip

If you have titanium backup you should be able to even salvage some data/apps from your backup (this may be a pro feature).

Alternatively there is a way to generate an md5sum via adb as well (in recovery with /data partition mounted) so you can potentially salvage the backup.
Code:
adb shell
su
cd /data/media/clockworkmod/backup/*nameofbackup*
md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
^that may take some time, it took quite a while on the OG Droid, I haven't done it yet on the GN.

If you don't know the name of the folder you can do:
Code:
cd /data/media/clockworkmod/backup/
ls

adb recognizes the device, and knows it's in recovery, but attempting to push the file simply returns a long list of adb commands.

Also @ ???, the nexus doesnt support usb mass storage, so I can't access the card through recovery that way.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
adb recognizes the device, and knows it's in recovery, but attempting to push the file simply returns a long list of adb commands.

Also @ ???, the nexus doesnt support usb mass storage, so I can't access the card through recovery that way.

Did you try to push to the sd card?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but if a factory reset still gives you boot loops you may have really borked something up. A flash back to stock might be required. Sucks, but it might be your only option.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

cupfulloflol

Reaction score

Hmm that is strange, I haven't encountered that one. Something screwy is going on there. What happens when you type adb devices ? What about adb shell ?

[TOOL] Android Commander 0.7.9.10 - xda-developers <-- perhaps try that. I kinda doubt that will work if adb won't work by itself, but it is worth a shot. Essentially it is a GUI for adb.

OP
H

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
Guys I really appreciate all the help you've given me the last few hours while I tried to figure this out.

After screwing around with adb commands for a while (adb devices returned my device id and in recovery)... I gave up trying to salvage this. I just need my phone back.

Bit the bullet and used WUG's to return to stock. A little sad at some of the things I lost, but I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.

The restore went fine (I even tried adb again after WUGs re-did my drivers. no go), now re-rooted and proceeding to set it all back up. Again.

Still love this forum, and everyone who chimed in here. Thanks a bunch.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At this rate it may be quicker to just flash back to factory. Also I recommend to nexus users to always keep a backup on your computer. I personally after backing up with tibu I move that, my music, my nandroid backup files to my computer just in case I ever have to exchange my nexus I can just unlock move all the files to my nexus and restore my nandroid backup (saves me from having to reset up my phone every time).