Clearing the cache partition Droid Z

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Since clearing the cache partition often solves problems, how about getting this posted for the Z and marshmallow and making it a sticky. Often that will be the solution recommended and it's nice to have it handy for folks to reference. I believe what I copied from the Droid Turbo forum is accurate for the Z. I just tried the steps and they seem to be the same. If it's not, please feel free to correct it and make it a sticky.
Here it is:

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will*not*delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off,*press*and hold*VOL*DOWN KEY*+*POWER*key*(simultaneously)*for*5 seconds*and then release both buttons.

2. The device will display*different*BOOT*OPTIONS

3. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to SCROLL to*Recovery*and*POWER*Key to select*

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have*waited to long to make a selection, you*will need to begin the process again.*

4. The device will display*the*Motorola logo and then*the*Android in distress*( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the*POWER*key.*While still holding*the*POWER*key*tap and release the*VOL UP*key. Once you see the RED text at the top of the screen, release both buttons (should take only a second).

Tip: You can*try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are*stuck on step 5, try a*force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key until your device reboots, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in*BLUE)*

7. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to scroll to*wipe*cache*partition*and the*POWER*Key to select*this*option

8.*The device will then perform*the partition wipe..this will probably take a bit..

9. Then it will show a list of options. Select reboot system now and start the normal power up sequence

Now this procedure can take up to 10, sometimes I've heard of up to 20 mins..

** Credit to 94LT1 for posting this in the Turbo forum. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
jkaod

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't thank me. Thank 94LT1. I just copied and pasted his post from the Turbo forum. He's The Man.:) I'm just a dumbhead that can't figure it out on his own, or remember how to do it when I need to.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Don't thank me. Thank 94LT1. I just copied and pasted his post from the Turbo forum. He's The Man.:) I'm just a dumbhead that can't figure it out on his own, or remember how to do it when I need to.
Jkaod, will this work if I need it now that I'm on Nougat?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk