Class 2 SD card is unbelievably slow

Q

qoncept

I just bought a class 2 16gb microsd card and started copying my music over. It's going slower than I could have imagined possible. At the moment I'm copying 500mb of songs over and it says it'll take about 8 minutes. Is that reasonable or is something else wrong?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just bought a class 2 16gb microsd card and started copying my music over. It's going slower than I could have imagined possible. At the moment I'm copying 500mb of songs over and it says it'll take about 8 minutes. Is that reasonable or is something else wrong?

It sounds pretty reasonable to me. It's a phone, not a computer.

OP
Q

qoncept

Wow. Guess I'll be looking out for a class 4 or 6 32gb in the next few months.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you'll notice the faster transfer times between your computer and your phone, but you won't notice any difference in the performance of your phone to card since the Droid can only handle a class 2 (thought higher will work, it won't be any faster than the stock 2). Something about hardware/software limitations. This came up during the time Apps2SD was implemented and many people started asking if they should get a class 6. Just thought I should let you know :

Btw, didn't your Droid come with a SD card?

OP
Q

qoncept

Nope, I bought it used without one. I've been using an 8gb class 4 that came out of my Blackberry. I use it for moving files back and forth to work so faster will definitely be worth while.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, I bought it used without one. I've been using an 8gb class 4 that came out of my Blackberry. I use it for moving files back and forth to work so faster will definitely be worth while.

Oh well that would explain it. New Droid already come with Class 2 16GBs, so I was wondering why you bought one, lol.

OP
Q

qoncept

Ever since updating to Froyo, my external hard drives have been unmounting randomly on my Mac while the Droid is plugged in. Anyone else having that issue?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do the math.

FWIW, Wikipedia states that a class 2 SD card has a write speed of 16Mb/s.

There are 8 bits in a byte so that's 2MB/s.

There are 60 seconds in a minute so that means 120MB/min. It should take just over 4 minutes but that's under ideal conditions, which never exist. I don't know if the SD card is the weakest link in the chain but whatever is will determine the top speed possible. Not to mention, those time remaining estimates are never accurate. 8 minutes sounds a little long but not unreasonable.

Guess I'll be looking out for a class 4 or 6 32gb in the next few months.
I doubt that. i suspect you'll have the same response as most once you see the pricing. :D

debdroid1a

Reaction score
But will Class 4 or above be available on 32gb? I'm only seeing class 2. Just like on the 16gb is only class 2 (that I've ever saw that was legit). I think they stopped going up after 8gb. Maybe because it's advancing so fast, they just decided to stick with Class 2 for some reason...
I used the micro cards for my mp3 player and didn't buy a 16gb late last year because of the price which was double and more then the 2 of the 8gb, now it's a lot less and 32gb is out.