32 GB Class 4 Card worth IT?

Despich

Reaction score
I figured I would share this since their does not seem to be much information out there regarding it. The stock 16GB Micro SDHC card that comes with the droid says it's a class 2 card and the droid suppasedly supports up to class 6 cards. You can now buy 32GB Micro SDHC cards that claim to be Class 4 (theoretically twice as fast). I recently bought one off ebay and it's a TOPRAM generic brand so i can't really tell the exact chip manufacturer (wish i could). Using my PC I copied all the contents from the 16GB card to the new 32GB and had no troubles getting the phone to recognize the new 32Gb card or the saved data that on it and the phone does indeed recognize it as 32 GB.

Now I ran some speed tests though hoping to see the new card outperform the old one and this unfortunately does not appear to be the case. The original card is not really just Class 2 (even though it has the Class 2 marker printed right on it). I ran a few tests using the PC using a Micro SD to SD adapter and the new card is actually SLOWER for both read and Write functions than the original 16GB card. From the PC using multiple testing programs I would get 16-18 MB per sec sustrained read from the old 16GB card and only 6-8 MB per sec sustained transfer from the new 32GB card. Which according to the specs I have read the Original 16GB card is performing much higher than just class 2 (more like class 6) and the New 32GB card is performing about what you would expect for a class 4 card.

I have also verified from what I can tell the phone is actually slower using the new card verses the old card. You can really tell it in the gallery when it has to rethumbnail a bunch of pictures.

So I guess what I am saying is that although you will get more storage that 32GB Class 4 Micro SDHC card will NOT get you any more speed (and maybe less) than the stock 16 GB card that verizon gave you.

Anyone else have any different experiences?

Dan

Moto Droid
BB 0.4 Froyo 2.2
P3's Froyo Kernal running at 1200/250

JGard

Reaction score
As far as the stock card goes, I replaced it with an actual Class 6 16GB and got huge improvements in performance. The stock card definitely does NOT perform as well as a Class 6.

On the stock card, I couldn't copy over more than about 50-100MB at a time to the car or else the entire phone would just lock up and I'd be forced to pull the battery to reboot. Once I replaced it with a class 6, I could copy any amount of data over at one time and there were no issues.

A.Brooks

Reaction score
As far as the stock card goes, I replaced it with an actual Class 6 16GB and got huge improvements in performance. The stock card definitely does NOT perform as well as a Class 6.

On the stock card, I couldn't copy over more than about 50-100MB at a time to the car or else the entire phone would just lock up and I'd be forced to pull the battery to reboot. Once I replaced it with a class 6, I could copy any amount of data over at one time and there were no issues.
Sounds to me like you had a bad card, mine has no such issue.