Charging problem

koralyne

Reaction score
I lost the wall plug to my charger, so ive had to charge through my computers USB port. Ive done this for the past, month and a half probly, and its worked fine so far. Today, my droid died.

i got home and plugged it into my computer, and it booted up like normal when you plug it in, but it keeps shutting off, like its not charging...

What can i do?

I got a usb>wall charger, but its not working either (note: its not the one i got with the droid though. When i plug it in, the light next to the charger turns on and off every so often)

iPirate

Reaction score
the USB doesn't provide a lot of current so it takes longer to charge the battery.

i suggest not using it while charging via USB, at least don't use it much

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
the USB doesn't provide a lot of current so it takes longer to charge the battery.

Unfortunatly, it shuts off either way. Sometimes it doesnt even turn on fully before it dies again.

What really sucks, is im waiting for a phonecall right now
:angry:

iPirate

Reaction score

Unfortunatly, it shuts off either way. Sometimes it doesnt even turn on fully before it dies again.

What really sucks, is im waiting for a phonecall right now
:angry:

so the USB might be charging the battery enough to turn on but didnt charge it enough to get it through the boot up. buy a wall charger or borrow one and don't let your battery run dead again. :\

iPirate

Reaction score
So, theres nothing i can do? =(
maybe a local 24/7 store sells chargers?

i have an old motorola phone and the charger provided doesn't charge the battery from dead. i have to use a higher current charger from another phone to bring it back to life. similar to your situation with usb and missing wall charger. :(

the safest solution is to get an official motorola charger. 3rd party charges can do funny things to your droid, so id stay clear of those.

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
This is why its a BAD IDEA to force startup when its charging...

Superjay

Reaction score
I'll say this again... Lithium Ion Polymer batteries HATE to be fully discharged. Charge them before they get to 20%. There is firmware in the phone to keep the battery from being overcharged. Keep the phone plugged in as much as possible

aristo1963

Reaction score
If you have an external powered usb hub try that, the powered hubs allow a much higher current pull than the pc supplied one.