Charging port non-functional

mhwa

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I plugged my phone in this afternoon and realized it does not charge anymore when plugged in. I tried multiple chargers, but the phone would not charge. I plugged it into my PC, and got the notification that it had been plugged in from the phone and PC, but it still would not charge (set to charge only). I finally gave in and purchased a battery charger to charge the battery. My question is, is this possibly a software issue? I am running Eclipse .4, but now that I cannot get the phone to recognize being plugged into the wall, I wont be able to boot into recovery to try another ROM correct? I have a warranty through Square Trade, so I am guessing I will just SBF assuming I can get the USB plug to work for SBF, and warranty the phone. Does anyone see any other options or have any ideas?

srvctec

Reaction score
Did you let the battery run COMPLETELY down? If so, you are going to need to leave it plugged in for several hours before it will even appear to be charging. Plug it in before you go to bed and see if it hasn't charged up by morning.

If you did run it completely down, that's very hard on lithium-ion batteries. They should be recharged @ around 30-50%- you will get much more life out of them in terms of how long these types of batteries will last before needing replacement.

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
M

mhwa

Reaction score
Did you let the battery run COMPLETELY down? If so, you are going to need to leave it plugged in for several hours before it will even appear to be charging. Plug it in before you go to bed and see if it hasn't charged up by morning.

If you did run it completely down, that's very hard on lithium-ion batteries. They should be recharged @ around 30-50%- you will get much more life out of them in terms of how long these types of batteries will last before needing replacement.

Sent from my DROID X2

Thanks for the tip, but no I let it run down to around 50% then tried plugging it into the car charger on the way home. I realized at some point the battery did not have the charging indicator on, and on the lock screen it didn't mention charging. I assumed the car charger was messed up so I tried the one that came with the x2 at home, still no go. I then purchased a battery charger so I could pull the battery out of the phone to charge it, and that worked. Once I had a 100% charge I tried the wall charger again, still never recognized it was charging. Tried booting into system recovery, it would either reboot or stay powered down (same for charge only mode). Decided to check the usb cable again for the pc, still wouldn't charge, but rsd saw the phone. SBF'd back to froyo from eclipse .4, and it still won't charge via cable. Going to hang out on stock froyo I guess and use the external battery charger this weekend and hopefully the square trade warranty doesn't give me a hard time.

OP
M

mhwa

Reaction score
Talked to Motorola and Verizon today. Motorola said they would replace the phone since it appears to be a failure. It would take 7-9 days without my phone though. Called Verizon and they are shipping me a new phone basically honoring motorolas warranty. Funning thing is the tech I got wanted me to update to gingerbread since it fixed some charging issue.. I went ahead and did the update. I knew the issue started while I was running gingerbread, but I wasn't going to explain I had sbf'd back to froyo. I am hoping that wiping data and sbf'ing back the froyo then wiping data before sending the phone back, will keep me from having to pay full retail as has been mentioned in other threads. I know this is a hardware issue, so I am hoping that rooting the phone and flashing roms doesn't cost in the end. I will report back and let folks know if it does.

Last edited: