Charging Issue

SonnyJack

Reaction score
First off, I love the phone. Since I installed the extended battery and rooted to increase the density it's now perfect. However, I seem to have one somewhat annoying problem. If it's normal and I need to adjust I'll do so, but it just somehow seems wrong.

When I go to bed I plug in the phone to charge. Usually I'm down to about a 60% charge by then, sometimes 50 or even 40 depending on usage. Without fail, when I wake in the morning, I'm only at a max charge of about 70% and the phone is NOT currently charging. I actually have to unplug the charger from the phone and then re-plug it to restart charging. After about an hour I'm at 100% and then have normal battery life throughout the day. This happens whether I use the stock battery or the extended battery.

I know the battery has safeguards to prevent overcharging but shouldn't some type of trickle charge keep the battery at or near full charge? I've had the phone for about a month and I've even tried charging it with my BB charger thinking that perhaps my charger was bad. Same result.

Is this the normal charging characteristic of this model phone?

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
I've never had that problem before. I use the stock battery and a 3rd party 1200mah battery.

bigkhan

Reaction score
Mine is always at 100% in the morning.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

StingRay

Reaction score
First off, I love the phone. Since I installed the extended battery and rooted to increase the density it's now perfect. However, I seem to have one somewhat annoying problem. If it's normal and I need to adjust I'll do so, but it just somehow seems wrong.

When I go to bed I plug in the phone to charge. Usually I'm down to about a 60% charge by then, sometimes 50 or even 40 depending on usage. Without fail, when I wake in the morning, I'm only at a max charge of about 70% and the phone is NOT currently charging. I actually have to unplug the charger from the phone and then re-plug it to restart charging. After about an hour I'm at 100% and then have normal battery life throughout the day. This happens whether I use the stock battery or the extended battery.

I know the battery has safeguards to prevent overcharging but shouldn't some type of trickle charge keep the battery at or near full charge? I've had the phone for about a month and I've even tried charging it with my BB charger thinking that perhaps my charger was bad. Same result.

Is this the normal charging characteristic of this model phone?

Are you shutting off the phone before you put on the charger? I haven't had that issue you described...

OP
S

SonnyJack

Reaction score
Yes I am shutting the phone off before attaching the charger. Does it matter?

StingRay

Reaction score
The reason I asked was that the original Droid (1) would not stay off while it was charging, so you would just throw it on the charger and it would be running during the night. Some people that are coming from the original Droid don't realize that the Pro will actually stay off while charging. If a phone is having an app or something that is a major battery drain, then sometimes it will not be at 100% after charging all night while still on.

Not sure why your Pro would not be charging all of the way, or why something is draining the battery during charging. If you're using the charger that came with it, or an "official" Motorola charger, you shouldn't be having a problem.

Like anything, I always suggest doing a battery pull before you charge overnight next time and see if that helps. Otherwise there may be something wrong with your battery that is preventing a full charge....

Last edited:
OP
S

SonnyJack

Reaction score
Very interesting. Thank you for the suggestions!

Ride

Reaction score
Id say check the charger. The issue moto charger always works for me, but if I use my callpod charger, I never know if it will charge or not

norifuku

Reaction score
How about check off "Settings - Applications - Development - Stay awake"?
Mine's charging fine after check it off.

mbd4524

Reaction score
What I have found is, if I plug in my charger as soon as I turn the phone off, it will not charge. I have to wait 15 seconds or so before charging.