changing gmail sync mail frequency

fastazzevo

Reaction score
I have looked for this on the phone but can't find it.

I want to see when my gmail syncs.. I can see when last sync was , but cannot find where to change it. I noticed there was this upon initially setting up phone, but can't remember what the verizon guy set it to.

I tried to delete account to redo account to change the frequency, but im getting an error that I would have to put phone back to stock form in order for account to delete.

thanks,

P3Droid

Reaction score
Gmail accounts don't sync because the mail is pushed to the handset as it is received by the server.

Non Gmail accounts (imap - pop3) are synced and you can select the frequency in the messages - settings menu.

OP
F

fastazzevo

Reaction score
ok,,

well i test an email i sent to myself, and see it (unopened on pc) , but still hasn't hit my phone yet. been 45 mins.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are some instances where the email account jsut doesn't sync correctly the first time, for whatever reason, deleting it and adding it back has fixed it for many of our users. Gmail should sync just about instantly. I have removed something from my phone, then refreshed Gmail on my computer and it was already gone.

OP
F

fastazzevo

Reaction score
well only way to delete it would to take phone back to oem .. i have apps that I don't wanna lose..

i need my mail checked more often.. only way i can get it when i need it is to physically "refresh it" ..

PetrolHead

Reaction score
Have you played around with apps, especially closing any? I had the same issue, and it turned out that I closed the program the phone uses for push. Turn the phone off and back on again and you should be good.

doctre

Reaction score
I've been testing out the gmail "push" system on the Droid and its not working as well as I expect push email to work. I can send my gmail account an email from another location, check the gmail web interface and the message is there. Yet a full 2-3 minutes goes by before the phone notifies me that I have mail.

My expectation (as set by competing products) is that the second the message appears in my gmail box that the phone notifies me.

I've removed Taskiller from the system and power cycled, however my "push" still isn't "push"-y. Any other ideas that I can try? Or is my expectation too lofty?

Thanks to all

lauriep

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why a 2-3 minute lag is something to be concerned about. If you weren't sitting in front of your computer watching it hit your web account, you would never know there was a lag.

doctre

Reaction score
The 2-3 minute lag is concerning for a couple of reasons:

1) When being considered for use in a near real-time notification system the need for near real-time (within a minute) notifications is a concern.

2) Other competing phone solutions don't exhibit this same behavior. And while I understand that Droid is brand new hardware and that Android 2.0 is fresh out of the gate. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect this functionality to work as desired given that Google wrote the OS, wrote the mail app that the data is getting pushed to, and is running the server that is doing the pushing. It doesn't get much more tightly integrated than that.

As I stated previously my expectations have been set by competing products. My initial hope was a fairly mature open-source OS would be able to easily compete on this particular front. I'm not asking for magic here, I just want push emails to be delivered to the phone in less than a minute and always notify, as happens on this system's competitors.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think mine only has about maybe a 30 second delay at most. I've had many many emails on the gmail account and i think i might have had 1 or 2 that took about 1 minute to get to my phone but that's the longest I've had to wait.

cyber3d

Reaction score
I just read in another thread, to reset your sync frequency/interval - delete your account and add it back in again. You will have the option of choosing the sync frequency/interval again.

Rouge

Reaction score
I just read in another thread, to reset your sync frequency/interval - delete your account and add it back in again. You will have the option of choosing the sync frequency/interval again.

When I go to delete my gmail it says that it is required by some apps and to remove I would need to do a factory reset. Why would google not let you change the sync time really frustrates me I would like to have my gmail checked every few hours because having push sync on drains by battery really fast. Is there any alternative to changing sync frequency?

LordKaos

Reaction score
Hi.

I solved to create secondary gmail accounts as ordinary accounts. Such as yahoo. In that way I can manage the pull/fetch/sync time.

Anyway i think that i saw the fetch time for the primary (gmail)accounts.