Change output for "media" sounds?

josh1980

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Ford Edge with Microsoft Sync. The phone syncs with my Edge via bluetooth. When i get phone calls or play mp3s on my phone i can use the vehicles sound system. However one inconvenience is when using google's navigation app. The voice telling me when to turn isnt heard when synced to the vehicle because the voice is not a phone call and i dont set my sound system to bluetooth. If i set it to bluetooth i wouldnt be able to listen to the radio. The bluetooth audio is basically another channel on the radio. Lately i havent been turning on bluetooth on my vehicle because of this.

Ultimately the issue seems to be that once bluetooth audio is enabled the phones speaker is turned off. Is there any way to set "media" sounds to output via the speaker on my phone instead of trying to output to bluetooth speakers(which my car ignores when the radio is on)?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
J

josh1980

Reaction score
I've gotten a few PMs over the last few months so I'm updating this thread so the solution is publicly available....

Here's how you change the audio to solve the issue above.

After your phone's Bluetooth is synced to the device go to Settings, Wireless & Network Settings, then Bluetooth Settings.
Press and hold on the device that you want to fix. In my case the item is "SYNC".
Choose "Options..." Uncheck "Media" to turn off Media sounds from going through the Bluetooth device.

Note: If you use your phone to play mp3s to your vehicle or bluetooth synced device this will disable that function since all sounds classified as "Media" will no longer go through bluetooth.