Chameleon Launcher Drops to a More Reasonable Price: $3.99

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chameleon-launcher.jpg

Earlier this year the cool launcher/tablet home page customizer called "Chameleon" moved from being a Kickstarter project to a full-blown product on the Google Play Store. When it first released, the company charged a super-premium price of $10. It's an impressive product and (in some ways) goes well beyond the typical vanilla launcher, but that price did tend to turn off some consumers. Apparently the company decided it wanted to become more competitive with their pricing, as the product can now be found for just $3.99. This price is much closer to a true premium price, and in some ways it actually a couple dollars cheaper than that. Regardless, this is now a relative bargain for an enjoyable and useful app. If you were holding off, now might be a good time to snap it up, because there is no indication if this is a temporary sale or a new permanent pricing model. Here's a link below. Sound off in the thread what your experience is with Chameleon.

Source: Google Play Store - Chameleon Launcher

Last edited:

RobKort

Atrix Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For sure, that's more like it.

-end of line-

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I paid $10 for it, and was not impressed.

First of all, the images that they show are Photoshops. It doesn't look anything like that. The colors are bland, nothing is really polished or HD about it. Looks rough and outdated already.

Second, they only have a few widgets, and those widgets have so far been very clunky and buggy.

The fact that they wanted $10 for a beta launcher that couldn't compete with launchers from 2 years ago was a bit of an insult. The fact that they are still selling a product that clearly flopped, is worse. That they now charge less than half of what I paid, I am not sure how I feel about that.

In the end, it was a novel idea that never materialized and I wasted $10.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, so far not very impressed. There is not a whole lot of customization. Seems pretty bland.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I paid $10 for it, and was not impressed.

First of all, the images that they show are Photoshops. It doesn't look anything like that. The colors are bland, nothing is really polished or HD about it. Looks rough and outdated already.

Second, they only have a few widgets, and those widgets have so far been very clunky and buggy.

The fact that they wanted $10 for a beta launcher that couldn't compete with launchers from 2 years ago was a bit of an insult. The fact that they are still selling a product that clearly flopped, is worse. That they now charge less than half of what I paid, I am not sure how I feel about that.

In the end, it was a novel idea that never materialized and I wasted $10.

I'll pay 3.99 with the hopes that it will get better. I would have never paid $10.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is that they talked it up, and in concept it is great. And the screenshots they gave, were these amazing photoshops of what they envisioned, not what they actually offer. They had a ton of people pay up, and what they produced is crap. But at this point, they made a large chunk of money and didn't actually have to produce anything, which is why I will never participate in a kickstart program again. Anotehr idea that sounds good on paper, but the reality is that it allows people to make a promise, take your money, make a half-hearted attempt and walk away with the money.

That's weak sauce.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's disappointing to hear that the user experience doesn't live up to the hype. Of course, it looked like it would be an awesome product. Still, I feel bad for sharing the stories on it now. :(

Do you think there is any hope that it will eventually live up to the concept?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think it is possible for the launcher to have promising ability! I like their widgets. They need to add more customization abilities... making folders in the app drawer, customizing your icons, your dock, etc. Incentive for them to step up to the plate would basically involve people submitting their reviews of what it is lacking. With more thumbs down, they will not get the sales and hopefully they would respond to that.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I think it is possible for the launcher to have promising ability! I like their widgets. They need to add more customization abilities... making folders in the app drawer, customizing your icons, your dock, etc. Incentive for them to step up to the plate would basically involve people submitting their reviews of what it is lacking. With more thumbs down, they will not get the sales and hopefully they would respond to that.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums
They released a widget API, but I couldn't understand one bit of it. Seems like you need to be pretty damn tech/code savvy to make one. If they simplified it a little, I think it'd do better. But like what's been said, there's too small of an amount of widgets for a launcher that's pretty much supposed to be solely widgets. They could at least let us use some regular widgets as well and not just limit to the launcher's built in ones.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
It's disappointing to hear that the user experience doesn't live up to the hype. Of course, it looked like it would be an awesome product. Still, I feel bad for sharing the stories on it now. :(

Do you think there is any hope that it will eventually live up to the concept?

Good going! LOL