[Rumor]Moto X Only Costs Carriers $350 So Prices Could Drop Fast After Initial Launch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola_moto-x-colors.jpg

This rumor might be incentive to NOT be an early adopter of the new Moto X device. The industry insider Leo Laporte claims that the new Moto X only costs the carriers around $350 USD. This is actually less than carriers would usually pay for a flagship level device. It also means they are making a hefty profit by selling it at the rumored $575 retail price ($199 on contract).

This could mean one other thing too... if the launch doesn't go very well for the carriers, the price of the device could drop like a stone. This has happened frequently in the past. A new flagship comes out but isn't a huge blockbuster. Because of this Amazon, Wirefly and even the carriers themselves start selling the device at a drastic discount to get numbers moving.

Of course, despite this possibility, the Moto X is an excellent device. While some can argue it is not technically superior to the other flagship options out there, it still could potentially offer a superior experience once we actually get to try it out.

Additionally, some other intel came along for the ride with this rumor. Supposedly, when the Moto X comes to the Google Play Store, it will NOT be a Google Edition (pure Android) version of the device. Also, it looks like it is possible the MotoMaker customization options might come to the other carriers as early as November (although this is in no way confirmed).

What do you think? Is this worth buying now at a premium price, or would you rather wait just a bit and potentially get it $50-100 cheaper?

Source: PhoneArena

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Depends on what "just a bit" is. If it's 6 months then probably would not wait. If it's 3 months until Black Friday then I would wait. Of course, this depends on if I want it at all. I'm still thinking either Mini or Maxx. Of course, we have no idea when the price will drop until it happens.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's that much cheaper than other phones. I remember seeing a leak of a Best Buy invoice that showed the GNex at a cost of like $380 wholesale. I've seen nothing to make me believe that the cost to produce the Moto X (including higher labor to assemble in the US) is significantly less than other devices, particularly a device like the S4 or IPhone that has huge volume.

The carriers don't, and never have, paid $600+ for devices. They inflate the retail price to herd people like cattle into contracts for a subsidized phone.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
But then if you decide to wait for the price to drop the next Motorola Nexus device is around the corner. Do you wait for that? But then when they are released, you're a bout 3 months away from the HTC One and S4 replacements. Do you wait for that? Then comes Apple's announcement which will mean comparisons to the Sony phones that just got released and rumors go into hyper-swirl for... UH OHHH!... the Google Editions of the previous phones are about to be released! Should you wait? Because then the refresh of the Moto X is coming soon! Should you wait for that?... But wait, now it's time for the new Nexus... Lather...Rinse...Repeat...

When you're ready to buy, just BUY.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When you're ready to buy, just BUY.

Exactly. The dual-core processors and 1gig ram was a pretty big deal to wait for because we really did need it for performance. But there's nothing in the pipeline in the next 6 months that's going to be some sort of leap or huge value in terms of "future proof".

The spec wars, aggressive as they have been, have really been a rather slow, consistent pace. You're not really gaining anything waiting a few months. There's always a "little better" phone coming out in a few months, but very rarely is it anything more than "a little better"

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
All these rumors are playing with my emotions! I only have one phone to sell for my next one, so stop messing around Google/Moto.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
As long as my current phone is working like it did when new and still does everything that I need to do then there is no reason to hurry up and buy just because I have an upgrade available. Not unless the perfect phone is now available. Of course, there will never be that perfect phone, at least not until the 3 inch phone in my pocket turns into a 7 inch tablet when I push the tablet button, has a 2 week battery and 2 SD slots and can stand to be dropped from 20 feet.

That's not to say that I don't want to replace my Inc2, as long as the new phone does what I use it for significantly better, can safely be carried in my jeans pocket without flexing and potentially cracking the screen and doesn't have any significant deficiencies. For me, the Droid Mini comes the closest, but I've never had any phone without a easily replaceable battery and SD slot. Perhaps the Galaxy S4 Mini if it really does come to Verizon. I'd like to have a Note 2, but I don't find it practical.

recDNA

Reaction score
Based on the specs $350 for full priced phone sounds about right to me.
Since I pay full price to keep unlimited data the bonus plan does nothing for me. Wish they'd take a cnote off full price or something.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
After VZW set the price of the stillborn HTC DNA to $0.00 ..Anything is possible.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Based on the specs $350 for full priced phone sounds about right to me.

Correct. The cost to make this phone is MAYBE $50 less than the top-of-the-line phones. But I doubt it, I think it's a bit more than Sammie due to lower volume and being assembled in the US.

4low4fun

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's that much cheaper than other phones. I remember seeing a leak of a Best Buy invoice that showed the GNex at a cost of like $380 wholesale. I've seen nothing to make me believe that the cost to produce the Moto X (including higher labor to assemble in the US) is significantly less than other devices, particularly a device like the S4 or IPhone that has huge volume.

The carriers don't, and never have, paid $600+ for devices. They inflate the retail price to herd people like cattle into contracts for a subsidized phone.

Which is why every 6 months I buy a used phone off craigslist with 6 month old specs for $200 and I'm I'm off contract with unlimited data.. But I tell you what,
I'm so stuck on my razr maxx that I just might shell out full price for a brand spankin new droid maxx!! (Its just a moto x with a bigger battery! The back is even the same!) Its really hard to beat the battery and radio performance mixed with the build quality of a moto maxx in my opinion!
Don't forget that these phones are essentially running a vanilla build except for the moto add ons that are probably googles test for future builds of android!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Which is why every 6 months I buy a used phone off craigslist with 6 month old specs for $200

No kidding, 6-mo old phones are only $200? I thought they'd still be in the $300-$350 range. Definitely plan to go that route, as well, but my Rezound is just still too good. But in 6 months, I might be looking at a used Droid Maxx or maybe the Note 3.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola_moto-x-colors.jpg

This rumor might be incentive to NOT be an early adopter of the new Moto X device. The industry insider Leo Laporte claims that the new Moto X only costs the carriers around $350 USD. This is actually less than carriers would usually pay for a flagship level device. It also means they are making a hefty profit by selling it at the rumored $575 retail price ($199 on contract).

Additionally, some other intel came along for the ride with this rumor. Supposedly, when the Moto X comes to the Google Play Store, it will NOT be a Google Edition (pure Android) version of the device. Also, it looks like it is possible the MotoMaker customization options might come to the other carriers as early as November (although this is in no way confirmed).

What do you think? Is this worth buying now at a premium price, or would you rather wait just a bit and potentially get it $50-100 cheaper?

Source: PhoneArena

Well it was hoping that the Moto X would be sold at a price point closer to the Nexus 4. If that ends up being the case and I can get one cheaper off contract than say a Galaxy S4, I might pick it up as a secondary device.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.