cell trumps wifi?

wiz561

Reaction score
Hi!

While at work, I get pretty bad cell reception. I'm saying that it's about -90 to -100 dbm and it goes from 3g to 1x. Now at the same time, I get an OK wifi signal.

When I wake my phone up and try to browse the net, it seems like the phone just gags and tries to use the cell signal instead of the wifi. I can see the up/down arrows lighting up, the display shows "1x", and it shows me connected to the wifi net. When you do a google search (or anything network-wise), you just see it trying to send the data over the cell side, then after about 30 seconds, the web browser (or whatever it is) will time out and say no network connection.

If I turn wifi off or disconnect from the AP and reconnect, then things work again. Now, I can't imagine that's how it's suppose to work because it's a pita to do this all the time.

I was hoping that when I upgraded to froyo months ago, this would be fixed, but it wasn't. Does anybody have any hints or troubleshooting methods for this?

thanks!

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
My cell signal at my housre stays on 3G and all 4 bars mostly all the time and my signal is -94dBm is this bad? what is the dBm range suppose to be?

Sent from my D2

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I am assuming that you are NOT rooted, so I would say have you updated your roaming (*228 option 2) lately? With all the changes in the Verizon cell towers I have noticed issues with my signal strength which seems to improve after I do an update.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying another laptop then I am gonna venture to root again. I will do the update before hand. I wanna go with one of chevy's roms. One of the best IMO. Do you know the preferred range of dBm by chance? I appreiciate the help

Sent from my D2

OP
W

wiz561

Reaction score
You are correct, I am *not* rooted. How would it help the situation if I was rooted?

I'll try the *228-2 later on when i get outside. I get spotty reception in here and it probably won't work properly.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
My signal is usually around -3. It usually goes to 1x around -60 or so. But this will depend on your coverage area. Rooting will not change how well your reception is. I have noticed that of I let the 3G change to wifi after I wake up the phone, I have no problem with it.

Swyped from Droid Forums App

OP
W

wiz561

Reaction score
I think many people get confused about the signal strength and what format it's in. I'm no expert, but I would think -100 dbm is bad and -3 dbm is good.

i didn't want to really turn this into another signal thread... i was mostly looking for information on why the droid sends data over the cell signal instead of using the local ap.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
To the OP sorry not tryin to hijack your thread. Just saw the thread and it reminded me of the question. Thanks for the help yall

Sent from my D2