Carbon Fiber Case: Really Great- Really Cheap!

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Thanks!

Wait...It LOOKS like carbon fiber, but isn't it just a plastic case?

It feels different than the old one: more solid. It looks like CF. I just doubted it because of the price.
Frankly, I don't care because it looks and does what I want. If it breaks I can buy 10-15 replacements for the price I've seen for "Real CF" cases.

butch350

Reaction score
Ruberized case

I purchased a rubberized cover for my droid. It's two piece and black,
and feels and looks great.

But if your one who slides it into their pant pocket the friction from
the rubberized case will make it hard to do.

There is not a picture with the add - but it's not hard to imagine what
a two - piece - rubberized - droid case looks like.

There is a sku# SHC00MTA855BK. The case really feels great.

Accessory Access

Greenblurr93

Reaction score
I work with real carbon fiber on my race car... its real easy to tell that thats a CF Pattern printed on plastic...

EDIT: just now looked at the price... which is even more of a DEAD give a way... the resin itself would cost more than that... plus the CF cloth... molds.. etc... no way thats real... AND the the weave is too silver... real CF is more black/dark gray... the only way to obtain that pattern for real is with those colors is to use carbon/kevlar.. and you dont even want to know the price of carbon/kevlar cloth

cuskit

Reaction score
I work with real carbon fiber on my race car... its real easy to tell that thats a CF Pattern printed on plastic...

EDIT: just now looked at the price... which is even more of a DEAD give a way... the resin itself would cost more than that... plus the CF cloth... molds.. etc... no way thats real... AND the the weave is too silver... real CF is more black/dark gray... the only way to obtain that pattern for real is with those colors is to use carbon/kevlar.. and you dont even want to know the price of carbon/kevlar cloth

That's why I mentioned price... ;)

My Cannondale mountain bike has a custom CF swingarm - the $2,300.00 cost (I didn't pay, it was comped by a factory rep) is twice that of the stock aluminum swingarm. So that's why I knew the stuff is BIG $$$! ;)

click on photo for enlarged view
Cannondale.JPG

Loving carbon fiber - mikey

Greenblurr93

Reaction score
Shouldve had them comp a front fork while he was at it...

Your swingarm dry CF? or Wet?

(you tested my CF knowledge.. now im testing yours..:wink:)

ChrisDaniak

Reaction score
That case is not real CF. Here is another similar case but this seller actually provides the real details of the product:

Case Cover for Samsung Memoir Cell Phone Carbon Fiber - eBay (item 400103622751 end time Mar-16-10 21:32:53 PDT)

Both of these cases are "carbon fiber" but it is the vinyl carbon fiber which is basically a sticker that they put on the case.

Compatibility:Samsung Memoir T929 Condition:NEW!Quality:High Quality Material:Made of high quality, super durable and strong Plastic
Features:
  • <LI class=desctiptionli>Easy to install
    • Just snaps to or around phone.
    • No tools needed.
Benefits:
  • <LI class=desctiptionli>Protects phone from drops and bumps <LI class=desctiptionli>Light weight and durable <LI class=desctiptionli>Does not block any features or ports <LI class=desctiptionli>Will make your phone unique!
    • Don't get bored of your phone. Just give is a new look!
    • Be the envy of all your friends and family with a great looking phone

INFERNO

Reaction score
I took a doping and fabrics class in college, so I've made cf and kevlar aircraft parts......this is what u call plastic.....I hope u really don't think its real.

if you do I can make one and paint it yellow and say its 24k gold

cuskit

Reaction score
Shouldve had them comp a front fork while he was at it...

Your swingarm dry CF? or Wet?

(you tested my CF knowledge.. now im testing yours..:wink:)

Uh oh! I don't test too well! ;)

But your question was not really necessary. I would have thought it would be a "given" that only dry construction would work for this application. Ever watch a downhill race? 90 mph+ over jumps, berms and unbelievably rough terrain. The swing arm on a downhill bike (or even your average mountain bike) is subjected to very extreme torture - incredibly hard impacts (though mostly torsional as the shocks absorb the brunt of the initial impact) huge amounts of flex to say nothing about the temperature extremes (racing 90 degree ambient Baja this week and 25 degree ambient Rockies next week).

Wet construction may be fine (and so much easier on the wallet) for your Droid cover, or the parts on a bike for your average weekend rider rolling through a park like setting in mild climate California towns - but would never hold up to real racing. So yea - this is constructed of Dry Carbon Fiber!

Lives are at stake here - so no air bubbles allowed (like you will find in wet lay-ups) and the much higher strength of a vacuum dry mold is a definite requirement. Pre-preg only - and they use CNC to cut up the molds for the ultimate in perfection! I have some vacuum bags that I use for making up wood radius components in my cabinet shop - but my vacuum setup pales in comparison to what these guys use! You'd love to see the vacuum molds they use for these things! Some of the factory boys are even getting some of the Sandwiched Carbon Fiber swing arms with titanium cores. Talk about expensive! Wow!

Okay - scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how'd I test? Go easy here - remember - I'm just a woodworking country boy! :icon_ banana:mikey