Car Vent/Outlet Mounts for Droid?

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
I am looking into purchasing a vent or an outlet mount for my new Droid. The reason being that Droid does not support voice-dialing with a Bluetooth headset :icon_rolleyes:...So, I figure a good way to have hands-free ability would be to mount the Droid to a vent and be able to use its voice-dialing capability without having to fumble with the phone as I drive.

So, can anyone recommend a mount for my car?

P.S., no suction cups, please. I don't like those style mounts.:)

techguru

Reaction score
I am looking into purchasing a vent or an outlet mount for my new Droid. The reason being that Droid does not support voice-dialing with a Bluetooth headset :icon_rolleyes:...So, I figure a good way to have hands-free ability would be to mount the Droid to a vent and be able to use its voice-dialing capability without having to fumble with the phone as I drive.

So, can anyone recommend a mount for my car?

P.S., no suction cups, please. I don't like those style mounts.:)

The phone works fine in my Bracketron universal mount. I built a custom mount for it in my car, so haven't tried it with the vent adapter yet. I am concerned it might be kind of heavy for a vent mount.

Alan

Shel

Reaction score
Ordered the mount below from fommy.com. It's been sent, but I haven't received it yet.

$24, and it gives you an additional plug to charge your device!

mount.JPG

This innovative alternative mount clears your windshield, dash, even cup holder of your mobile phone…. it attaches to your vehicle’s lighter socket. An alternative power dongle is attached to the Lighter Socket Mount for charging your Motorola Droid. A custom fit cradle securely holds your device in place when attached to the Lighter Socket Mount. Adjusts to accommodate a variety of different viewing positions with two 180 degree adjustable knobs. While a ball and socket lets you swivel your device freely. Quickly and easily connects to any car’s lighter socket and provides unique placement for mounting your Motorola Droid. Safety first! With Amzer’s Lighter Socket Mount for your Motorola Droid!

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
^^^^^^^

Ooh, I like that!

I think I'll have to pull the trigger on that one. I like that I can actually USE the outlet instead of just using it to hold the mount

iraparks

Reaction score
any chance of excessive heating with the hot hair blowing directly on the Droid in the winter time?

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
any chance of excessive heating with the hot hair blowing directly on the Droid in the winter time?

418VyVnleEL._SL160_.jpg

I would think that hot air would be able to flow around the phone and not overheat the phone. In any case, I usually direct hot air toward the floor/feet in my car.

This begs the question; Are there any non-navi car-related apps for the Droid ;)

Last edited:

godanigo

Reaction score

I would think that hot air would be able to flow around the phone and not overheat the phone. In any case, I usually direct hot air toward the floor/feet in my car.

This begs the question; Are there any non-navi car-related apps for the Droid ;)

I use Mileage to keep track of my mpg, when I need an oil change, etc. It's pretty cool....shows you how much money you've spent on gas, and a lifetime avg of your mpg (among other things). I've tried other apps for this but Mileage is my favourite.

QR Code:
chart

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score

I use Mileage to keep track of my mpg, when I need an oil change, etc. It's pretty cool....shows you how much money you've spent on gas, and a lifetime avg of your mpg (among other things). I've tried other apps for this but Mileage is my favourite.

QR Code:
chart

Thanks. I'll look into it. Actually, I was looking for something a little more performance-oriented. I found ADYNO, which looks like fun. 1/4 mile calc., 0-60, G-meter, etc.

P.S., I drive an '08 VW GTI, which I take to High Performance Drivers Education (HPDE) events. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool car nut:icon_ devil:

godanigo

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll look into it. Actually, I was looking for something a little more performance-oriented. I found ADYNO, which looks like fun. 1/4 mile calc., 0-60, G-meter, etc.

P.S., I drive an '08 VW GTI, which I take to High Performance Drivers Education (HPDE) events. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool car nut:icon_ devil:

Sweet ride, your car calculates mpg for you then...some of aren't that lucky, haha. There are definitely lots of car apps, something about fancy phones and car nuts seem to go hand in hand.

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score

Sweet ride, your car calculates mpg for you then...some of aren't that lucky, haha. There are definitely lots of car apps, something about fancy phones and car nuts seem to go hand in hand.

Thanks. I'm still going to look at Mileage. I love anything that can give me information about my car. I see these things as tools, not toys.

Honestly, the Droid and the Android community at large keeps on impressing me. I'm glad I picked up my Droid and joined this forum. Lots of great info and chill people.

OP
BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
My Amzer car vent mount arrived today. Well, I'm disappointed. It simply does not fit the Droid properly. it seems to have been designed for a phone that is shorter than the Droid (iPhone?). I'll take pics tomorrow of what it looks like, and how I will (try to) modify it to work.

godanigo

Reaction score
My Amzer car vent mount arrived today. Well, I'm disappointed. It simply does not fit the Droid properly. it seems to have been designed for a phone that is shorter than the Droid (iPhone?). I'll take pics tomorrow of what it looks like, and how I will (try to) modify it to work.

Boo. That is not totally unexpected. It seems like the official droid mount will fit with most ball mounts, so maybe you could do some combo business? It wouldn't be the cheapest, but hey.