Car stereo speakerphone question

brinsm

Reaction score
So I got a new Honda Insight and I can plug my droid directly into the stereo using a 1/8" to 1/8" cable and listen to Pandora during my normal commute. However, if I get a call while driving, I have to unplug the cable because while the headphone jack is being used the speakerphone capability is disabled (CA requires hands free use while driving). I was wondering if there were a similar cable that had a mic built in. I've seen headphones with a mic in the line, but I need to switch the headphones for a 1/8" male piece. Does this exist or are there any other options since my car isn't bluetooth ready?

Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you mean an aux cable? I worked at Honda not too long ago and I know the new models have AUX cables.

CA law does state handsfree and Honda has that in mind. When you plug your phone into the AUX input, then the phone call goes through the car's speaker system, therefore it is handsfree. Think of your car as one giant headset in this case.

For the record, I have an AUX cable setup in my cars and when i plug my phone in, the call goes through the car stereo, same thing, just Honda has it as a stock option.

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
So I got a new Honda Insight and I can plug my droid directly into the stereo using a 1/8" to 1/8" cable and listen to Pandora during my normal commute. However, if I get a call while driving, I have to unplug the cable because while the headphone jack is being used the speakerphone capability is disabled (CA requires hands free use while driving). I was wondering if there were a similar cable that had a mic built in. I've seen headphones with a mic in the line, but I need to switch the headphones for a 1/8" male piece. Does this exist or are there any other options since my car isn't bluetooth ready?

Thanks

You can get a microphones device for use with standard headphones that will also work in this situation. The Samsung Omnia II actually came with one, but I have seen them online at various cellphone accessory sites.

I have a spare one I am not using, and don't plan on using now that I have a BT handsfree device with FM transmitter. PM me with your mailing address I'll send it to you.

Alan

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the record, I have an AUX cable setup in my cars and when i plug my phone in, the call goes through the car stereo, same thing, just Honda has it as a stock option.
...and you're able to use your device's mic for calls? That's the OP's concern.

Darksaga

Reaction score

Thanks

I recommend the Motorola T505 Bluetooth speaker. It is hands free and will broadcast a stero FM signal that your car radio can tune into. The voice quality is great (99% of people do not know I am driving in a car) and the audio quality of the music is good. If you are playing music while getting a call; the music pauses and it switches over to the phone call (if you chose to answer it.) After the phone call the music resumes play. I HATE Bluetooth headsets; however this speaker-phone is awesome!

montlyfool

Reaction score
I use a tape adapter

I just use a cassette tape adapter and plug my phone into this. I do not use the speakerphone, I just use the mic as it is.
When I answer the phone, I just speak and it picks up good. I do not turn on the speakerphone since it does not work in this case. I do not have to unplug anything, and hear the person talking through the car stereo.
Once they hangup, my music begins to play again.
I have a vent holder for the phone, so it is directly in front of me.