Car dock that is NOT a window mount?

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I haven't tried this one, but it looks interesting. I would love to hear is anyone has tried it.

Motorola Droid Custom Cigarette Lighter Accessory Auto Mount with Power Adapter: ExtremePDA
I own one of those. It holds the phone in place with a shelf for the 'chin', then a plastic piece holds the top in place. I am not very happy with mine. I've had it for less than a month and the rubber that covers the top plastic piece is already shredding. Because the plastic piece is far too tight. It takes 2 hands to get the droid in; one to position the droid and the other to forcefully pull the top plastic piece up so you can squeeze the droid in. It is very possible that I just got a bad unit. Also the plastic piece on the top covers part of the headphone jack, so you can't use headphones. The cigarette lighters in my car are just about perfectly horizontal, but the device hangs down about 10 degrees. That means that it slowly works itself out of the lighter jack. I have to push it in after any big bumps. The contraption has fallen out of the jack on me only once, it takes a while to work itself out and now that I'm aware that it can do that I push it in every so often.

So those are the negatives.

On the positive side, it positions very well for use. Two racheting joints and then a ball joint for the phone itself. You can twist the phone from portrait to landscape easily and it stays where you put it. It gives you another cig adapter so you don't lose one by plugging your mount in. There is ZERO chance of the phone falling out of the mount. The mount holds the phone very tightly as I explained earlier, so tightly that getting the phone in the mount is difficult.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably purchase a different mount just because it is so hard to get the phone in and the protective rubber is wearing away after less than 1 month.

That's good to know, I still like to look of it but I suspect that it will only hold a naked Droid. I would really love something that will hold it in the Seidio case and not on the window and vertical. An added bonus would be not having a vent mount as it seems to get hot with the heat on. The search continues!

ice456789

Reaction score
Oh, it will definitely NOT hold a Droid in a case. The droid itself barely fits. Snug is good... having to wrench the mount open (and risk breaking it) just to get the phone in is bad.

BikerTech

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the media dock placed on the sticky pad that sits on top of the dashboard? Have anyone used this configuration?