Car dock that is NOT a window mount?

shane1v

Reaction score
I purchased the one shown below from Target. They give you 90 days to return it if you're unhappy.

Really like it, though. It attaches with clips to your air vents, very easy to install and remove. Also has a ball pivot, so you can turn it towards you.

What's nice is, the side arms (which are padded) can be raised or lowered individually, so you can adjust them to avoid the volume buttons/charging port, etc.

I also like that it will still fit the Droid after I get a Seidiio Inno Case, which will make the Droid just a tad thicker.

Back and side arms are nicely padded, it's held in place by simply squeezing the two arms together, so they grab the Droid. NO problem with it coming out whatsoever (and I read a LOT of reviews, nobody else reported their device coming loose)

It's made by Bracketron.

Amazon also has them for sale.

41kCZfjLhNL._SS400_.jpg

Looks good- Can you turn it sideways(landscape?) and have the Droid charging? That's important to me. Can a magnet be modded onto it to get the car mode to start?
Is the camera lens blocked? Might be some cool apps that can utilize that.
Does the Droid attach and come off very easily?
Thanks!

Last edited:

skidemn

Reaction score
I purchased the one shown below from Target. They give you 90 days to return it if you're unhappy.

Really like it, though. It attaches with clips to your air vents, very easy to install and remove. Also has a ball pivot, so you can turn it towards you.

What's nice is, the side arms (which are padded) can be raised or lowered individually, so you can adjust them to avoid the volume buttons/charging port, etc.

I also like that it will still fit the Droid after I get a Seidiio Inno Case, which will make the Droid just a tad thicker.

Back and side arms are nicely padded, it's held in place by simply squeezing the two arms together, so they grab the Droid. NO problem with it coming out whatsoever (and I read a LOT of reviews, nobody else reported their device coming loose)

It's made by Bracketron.

41kCZfjLhNL._SS400_.jpg

Looks good- Can you turn it sideways(landscape?) and have the Droid charging? That's important to me. Can a magnet be modded onto it to get the car mode to start?
Thanks!

This is just a holder so the turning ability depends on which mount you have for it. Yes, a magnet can be added but it is more of a pain than on other holders. No, the camera lens is not blocked. Come out easily? Well, the jaws open in a ratchet fashion which means you push the button on the side several times to make the jaws open. Overall the holder is a little bulky, but does do the job.

shane1v

Reaction score

It's made by Bracketron.

41kCZfjLhNL._SS400_.jpg

Thanks!

This is just a holder so the turning ability depends on which mount you have for it. Yes, a magnet can be added but it is more of a pain than on other holders. No, the camera lens is not blocked. Come out easily? Well, the jaws open in a ratchet fashion which means you push the button on the side several times to make the jaws open. Overall the holder is a little bulky, but does do the job.

I'm confused- Mount vs holder? I need to buy something else to attache my droid to the vent?

blinden

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel2 XL
Anyone know of any with standard mounting holes so it can be used with a bracket (Panavise or similar)?

Yes, these holders have an adapter that has the standard AMPS (4-hole) pattern. If you already have your mount you can order just the holder and adapter. Although you can't really see it in this picture, that is a Panavise custom fit mount behind the holder.

InDash_Droid_11.jpg

I also modify the holder with a magnet if desired, and you can read about it here: InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:.

I purchased and am currently using the model that mounts to cigarette lighter adapter. Everything works well. Using it with a snap on case, the mount holds very well, the magnet works very well through the case, basically everything I was looking for it does, very good option for those that want a car mount with an after market case.

aapocketz

Reaction score
I am waiting for a car dock that has a charger built in like the multimedia station dock - I don't care if it swivels though that would be a plus. Bonus if it has magnet already to launch the car dock mode. It would need to have a universal mount of some sort, to connect to say the garmin friction mount, like the current motorola car dock does.

skidemn

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm confused- Mount vs holder? I need to buy something else to attache my droid to the vent?

The mount is the part that attaches to the car and the holder is what holds your device (Droid). The holders for some brands can be used with different types of mounts (i.e. window mounts, vent mounts, cigarette lighter mounts, cup holder mounts, vehicle specific brackets, etc.). You can usually purchase a mount and a holder together, but if you want something specific you may have to choose a mount and holder separately as often times the mount you want my come with a holder designed for a different size device, and vice versa. I have already married some mounts and holders together in kits specifically for Droid applications which you can see in this thread, or you can PM me and send you pics and links of all the models.

skidemn

Reaction score
Anyone know of any with standard mounting holes so it can be used with a bracket (Panavise or similar)?

Yes, these holders have an adapter that has the standard AMPS (4-hole) pattern. If you already have your mount you can order just the holder and adapter. Although you can't really see it in this picture, that is a Panavise custom fit mount behind the holder.

InDash_Droid_11.jpg

I also modify the holder with a magnet if desired, and you can read about it here: InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:.

I purchased and am currently using the model that mounts to cigarette lighter adapter. Everything works well. Using it with a snap on case, the mount holds very well, the magnet works very well through the case, basically everything I was looking for it does, very good option for those that want a car mount with an after market case.

Here's a pic of the cigarette lighter mount and holder in use:
droid-GR25311599.jpg

ice456789

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the cigarette lighter mount and holder in use:
droid-GR25311599.jpg
Just to be sure, that mount doesn't actually charge the phone right? If you want to charge it you need a separate cig lighter adapter. That's actually fine for me as my Tahoe has 3 adapters in a row, but only 2 work. :) Pricing?

brochaos

Reaction score
i use that same one. works pretty good. only problem i had is that it fights TOO tightly in my lighter. i thought it would be easier to take in and out, so i can hide it when i'm not driving.

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
i use that same one. works pretty good. only problem i had is that it fights TOO tightly in my lighter. i thought it would be easier to take in and out, so i can hide it when i'm not driving.

Try the vent mount shown a little earlier in the thread. Pops open with a push of a button.

shane1v

Reaction score

It's made by Bracketron.

41kCZfjLhNL._SS400_.jpg

I got this on ebay(open box item, delivered was $9.95).
So far it's great. I can leave phone upright or turn the unit sideways if i want landscape, the unit has a ball swivel. I like leaving it sideways so the power plug hangs down nicely- I think leaving it upright might loosen the power port eventually; it kinda pulls down a bit like that.
I just hope it is built to last

nickdma

Reaction score
Soundgate M2

I haven't seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd toss my solution into the mix.

I went with a Soundgate M2 universal mount. I wanted something that didn't look like a conventional mount, so as to reduce the chance of smash and grab. I also wanted something that would work with various cases and devices.

I'm using a cheap horizontal slip case, so the Droid itself is naked. As long as whatever case you're using will accept an adhesive pad on the back, it should work. The mounting pad is reasonably small and unobtrusive. It's about the size of a nickle.

Additional mounting pads for devices are reasonably cheap, as are additional mounting stubs if you wanted to move it between vehicles.

I was able to drill a small hole in the mount, and insert a strong magnet to active the car mode (you can see this in the last image).

I plan to pick up a cheap compass to stick onto it if I park in places where I'm concerned the mount might suggest something is in the vehicle. I think with a compass on it, it would look like it's simply a compass.